Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

widowman

Post by widowman »

"Come November" by Gene Wensel
xboman

Here's my detailed list

Post by xboman »

The deer and deer hunting area is a broad field.

I have amassed a collection of roughly 130 volumes dealing exclusively with deer and it's hunting.... a good number of them are rare or scarce, out-of-print, privately printed, limited editions or greatly sought after novels.

I recommend you concentrate your book search on older proven and solid titles rather than purchasing new ones which tend to favor the author's approach and which tend to be biased from the beginning. An overall general view of deer hunting and all the various aspects of their world should contribute to a more complete understanding and appreciation of the whitetail deer species.

You would be much better served by old " tried and tested methods " which have stood the test of times and can still be employed today. Methods that relied on knowledge of the quarry and woodsmanship not to mention the fascinating accounts experienced afield instead of today's literature containing overrated comments related to gadgets, gimmicks and predictable conclusions.

If titles of this nature interest you, they can still be obtained through used book dealers and other book stores.

A beginning of my list of Great Deer Books:

1- In the category of Yesteryear:

The Deerstalkers by Frank Forester (actually Henry William Herbert):
198 pages
It is an early American short fancy sketch of deer hunting in the lower counties of New York.
You may be able to find copies of the 1930 Derrydale Press edition in used book stores.

2-Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter by Meshach Browning
400 pages
-went through many editions
If you are interested in the heroic, picturesque adventures of fighting wounded bucks bare handed, read Meshach's wild experiences which took place between 1796-1840 in Maryland.

3-The Still-Hunter by Theodore Van Dyke
389 pages
-also went through many editions
This book is a classic for the deer hunter...A must read.

Now, I will list books that concentrate on or cover:

-Literature -Scientific aspects
-Popular Science and Natural History
-How-to's
-Record books
-Diaries or journals
-and Photos books

On the literature side: 3 books come to mind....Deep Enough for Ivorybills, The Old Man and the Boy, & The Deer Pasture.

-Deep Enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo
1988, 193 pages
Don't be fooled by the title into thinking this book does not contain material on deer hunting. Kilgo's thoughts and reflections are deep in meanings and questions. 5 stars

The Old Man and the Boy, by Robert Ruark
1957, 303 pages
This book contains more subject matter than purely deer hunting material, but read it anyways. This book fits the category of global outdoor activity....and it should touch your heart.

The Deer Pasture, by Rick Bass
1985, 123 pages
Read about the close relationships a deer hunter can have with the land, it's inhabitants, the deer, his family, his friends, and the deer camp in general. Unlike any other deer book out there.

Scientific Aspects books

2 suggestions here......White-Tailed Deer, and Producing Quality Whitetails

White-Tailed Deer: Ecology and Management, by Lowell Halls
1984, 870 pages
This book is "A Library" in itself. Interesting chapter on how Indians wearing a disguise hunted deer.

Producing Quality Whitetails by Al Brothers and Murphy Ray
1975, 245 pages
If you’re a landowner and you want to improve the quality of deer that frequent it and you want to understand how it can be done as well as see the proven results then this book is for you. Gives the reasoning behind the responsibility of shooting does and the need to reduce inferior bucks early.

Popular Science and Natural History

In this area there are some fantastic books namely: The Deer of North America, Trails of Enchantment, Whitetailed Deer, Shots at Whitetails and Hunting the White-Tailed Deer in Texas. Although any of these would be excellent choices I will only provide my comments on the 1st 3.

The Deer of North America by Leonard Lee Rue III
1978, 463 pages
Lee Rue III's contribution to the deer hunter's interest of the species is extraordinary. His photos alone are world renown. His knowledge matched by his writings are vast and top-notch.

Trails of Enchantment by Paul Brandreth
1930, 318 pages

Not many deer hunting books have been authored by women but this one stands has a giant. Published in 1930, Paulina Brandreth wrote under the name Paul because of fears her book would not be taken seriously by the public. Remember we are talking of 1930 here. Few good books capture the essence of the hunt and the true meaning of the love of the outdoors as this one does. Don't simply take my word for it but read it yourself. The 1930 edition copy remains very hard to find especially if it includes the scarcer and impressive colorful dustjacket. One can expect to pay upwards of 200$ US for a fine copy. A more affordable paperback issue was recently printed in 2002 or 2004.

Whitetailed Deer by William Monypeny Newsom
1926, 288 pages

Good luck in your hunt for this jewel. It contains material still in application today and it presents it in a most simple manner and in an uncomplicated language style. I own 2 copies of this book and I highly value them. No other edition has gone to print so this book is extremely difficult to locate and could be even harder to purchase due to the price it can command.

How-to's Books

John Weiss's Advanced Deer Hunting is a strong choice. How many books does one need to read in order to know how to kill a deer?....One, just this one.
If I was going to initiate a newcomer on how to properly hunt deer, I would tell him to 1st read this book.
Advanced Deer Hunting by John Weiss
1987, 334 pages

Record books

Legendary Whitetails by Dick Idol
Stories with the breathtaking photos of some of the all-time 40 greatest whitetails ever recovered are what this book reveals.

Diaries and Journals
2 books...The Bucks Camp Log and North American Big Game Hunting in the 1800's are the focus here.

The Bucks Camp Log by Majorie Williams or Gleen H. Williams
1974, 111 pages
No comments will be presented regarding this title. Purchase if you can find it. I garantee you will not be disappointed.

North American Big Game Hunting in the 1800's by John Howard.
1982, 498 pages
One of the finest book in my library. Although the contents of this particular book doesn't exclusively deal with deer, it simply cannot be passed up for it contains anthologies of a period which we will never experience again but can only continue to imagine. These real life stories have to be read to be believed. This limited edition of 1000 copies comes in a custom slipcase, custom-bound in leather, moiré silk endpapers and with a gold ribbon marker. A beautiful and magnificent work.

Photo books

Whitetail Country by Daniel J. Cox and JohnJ. Ozoga
1988, 145 pages

also

Hunting Wildlife with Camera and Flashlight, Volumes I and II
1935, 1936, 450 pages and 450 pages

Put these books on the table so others can enjoy the beauty and the mystery involving whitetail deer.

My most cherished book is titled: The Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry - 1899

This deer book provides the reader with accounts of the daily adventures of a mid-nineteenth century deerslayer (1836 to 1855) in the deer forest of parts of Ohio, Michigan and the lower regions of Lake Erie & Lake Huron.

Perry enjoyed nothing more than a "protracted encampment" in the depths of the deer forests. He fought battles with wildlife, buck fever and deer mice; he had to endure violent storms; he
frequently lacked nourishment due to endless tracking efforts ending with many deer being left un-retrieved, and finally, Perry suffered severe bouts with delirium tremors or ague which were
marked by attacks of chills, sharp fevers, sweating, and fits of shivering.

Fascinating reading!

Only one hundred copies were originally published - making the book extremely rare and expensive. In my 10 years of collecting, I am aware of only 5 other copies currently in existence: 2 are in private libraries, 2 more are in University Libraries in the USA in 2 States that have conserved them as real historical documents, and 1 other copie which are being offered for sale at a price of $2000 US. My copy is #38.

I possess 2 reprinted copies of the "Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry",although they are 1994 editions by St. Hubert's Press.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew..outta breath here and I did not even touch the books with subject matter relating to poaching.

I leave you with this:

"Limited weeks of deer hunting experiences, out of fifty-two, do not thoroughly or reasonably satisfy the deer enthusiast. Consequently, one turns to good books to help stretch out the season. They can be enjoyed without seasons, bag limits or financial limitations and they do help insure that the best of the golden years of outdoor hunting experiences and recreation will not be lost."

-Robert Wegner-

I will only add that I am comforted in knowing those stories and recollections live in my memory and on my shelves.

Enjoy,
xboman
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

About 15 yrs. ago I attended a local seminar by Barry and Gene Wensel and purchased their book "Hunting Rutting Whitetails",it's a darn good book and those guys are the real deal.They have other books out there but I haven't read them yet.

Library systems are a good source now for locating books to read.I use our local system through their website and have access to any book in Ohio.Usually when I requist one sent to me it takes 5-7 days to get to my local branch and it's mine for 3 weeks.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I have learned much from books, but the most from the stories about the Benoits. I enjoyed the way the books were written, kept my interest peaked.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps