Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The accuracy isn't in question either. The crossbow you have is plenty accurate. However, there is a ton of room for human error. Even after getting a perfectly straight and balanced bolt, then add perfect fletchings, broadhead, serving, and string . . .you still have to get the yardage correct and make the shot. There is a lot of detail work put into making consistant 50 yard shots. Of course, you need to throw in the weather and all other hunting condition issues.

Anyway, I also believe the 30.06 wins that battle without question. Even a heavy bolt will have trouble busting a shoulder on a large animal. The 30.06 will do it every time. My Uncle gave me some Army issue 30.06 shells once(he had a box from his days in the U.S.Army). They were hard nosed . . .those things would penetrate anything, however, they had very little knockdown power. I killed a deer 5 times with those bullets, well, it would have been killed 5 times with the soft nosed shells I normally used. I had 5 perfectly placed shots and the deer never fell. I had to track, see, and shoot until it dropped. I never used those shells again. They were like shooting a .22, except they kept traveling. They made a hole about the same size as a bolt with a field point. I was 16 at the time, didn't know better. The deer barely flinched at each shot.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Yes, with a good equipment and correct technic and pratice it easy to shoot up to 100 yards precisely but in hunting you have two principal problems: the first one is to determine the EXACT distance of your prey. You can tell:" But I can use a rengefinder!"; Yes you can but it is really precise? I noticed up on 65 yards, that many rangefinders have e little error of measure, normally +-1 yards; at 100 yards this error some time is+-2 yards and you have also the problem to aim with the rangefinder optic exactly on your prey (is not so easy). With a rifle, all this errors are not important on this range of distances but with an arrow drop of 3"-6" per yard they are big problems!
The second one is the time that the arrow needs to hit the animal: at 100 yards is near one second. During this time are you sure that the animal will be steady? Could be yes but could be also not!
For this reasons also if you are a great shooter is very risky the very very long shoot in hunting.

Regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

In it's off-the-shelf offerings, the grand ol' .30-'06 cartridge turns in a MPBR of around 285 yards. For hunting purposes, Maximum Point Blank Range is that far limit at which you can hold dead on and still be within the kill zone on deer-sized game. Loaded hot, the '06 can push that envelope to 300 yards.

An experienced shooter can easily kill game at 300 yards with the '06. I do it frequently. The bullet itself is stroking along fast enough to do the job well beyond that ... it's just that bullet drop and windage gets so critical at ultra-long ranges.

As to penetration, I've never had even cheap 150 grain Walmart rounds fail to completely puncture the vital zone on a broadside shot at 300 yards.
Grizz