tested some different offsets(pics)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Good post C F , keep us up to date.
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
Esox

Post by Esox »

Great shooting!!...How about doing it again but with your broadheads and let us know how they fly... Obviously you've got it all working right... Good Job!!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Esox wrote:Great shooting!!...How about doing it again but with your broadheads and let us know how they fly... Obviously you've got it all working right... Good Job!!!
I plan on it.. im gonna buy a cheap target first so I dont mess the block one all up 8) :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Fletching an arrow straight is a common practice with target shooters, I would guess because of the lack of outside influence on the arrow in motion, like wind. An arrow does not come out of a crossbow (or any other bow) straight, it will be oscillating and needs to be stabilized.
Make no mistake, an arrow needs to spin to do it's job properly in less than perfect conditions, a spinning arrow becomes it's own force opposed to being prone to disturbances between the bow and the target. It is called gyroscopic inertia, it is your best friend in archery. This will become evident when a broadhead is used (provided the arrow is true) or if the arrow hits an obstruction like an inconsistent side wind or even a leaf.

To see this force in action try to throw a Frisbee without spinning it and see where it goes, or sitting on a bicycle that is not in motion.. The wider the object the more important this force becomes. A spinning top is another good example, the mass of the object is again away from the axis, try to spin a pencil on it's tip and the spinning motion has little effect on it's ability to remain upright, or straight.

Then comes matching your spin to the size of the broadhead, again assuming everything is perfectly symmetrical (straight shaft, balanced broadhead, true spine, equal fletching...) Each broadhead will benefit from a different degree of fletching, or fletching size. As the outside force gets farther from the axis (larger broadheads) it becomes increasingly important to get the shaft spinning and spinning fast. The faster the arrow is spinning the more important it is to keep your broadheads balanced, any variations are amplified as it turns. This is far less apparent in a perfectly symmetrical Field point. This is part of the reason mechanical broadheads are more prone to shooting like a field point.

Gyroscopic inertia, take advantage of it, it's necessary and it's free!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ranger

Post by ranger »

yep what you said.......distance makes abig differance in how you fletch..
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good post ... good info .... good shooting ! .... I have found the same over the years .... unless you are splitting hairs , all will get you into the boiler room at responsible distances ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I agree!
You don't even need fletching to hit a pie plate at 30 yards, but if you choose to be the determining force of your arrow you, and you alone need to be the the one in control of the variables..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string