Have Excalibur, Will Travel.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Well I am one of those northern neighbours. Our hunting system is a little different than yours. Different areas have different quotas. In my area it is a controlled hunt. The number of hunters or the number of deer taken is limited. In the last few years being in the controlled hunt you could shoot either bucks or does. Your choice, you can only harvest one animal. Naturally you try for the largest animal you can find. Bu the end of the week it comes down to whatever is a good size is taken. I have never shot fawns but in reality it shouldn't make a difference the young fawns may not make it through the winter if there is a heavy snows all winter.In this area now a second tag can be purchased if necessary. They are limited in numbers so you cant shoot an extra deer and then buy the second tag. I am a meat hunter first and antler size second. We have never been able to boil those darn horns to make them soft enough to eat. I do value my antlers and I have kept them whenever possable. We hunt in a group and the meat is shared as equally as possable. Antlers have to be on the animal with the validation tag when it goes to the butcher.Sometimes the antlers are forgotten when the meat is picked up.I see no problem for hunting either way as long as someone makes use of the meat. :roll: Now I will crawl back into my igloo and wait for the bow season to begin. Good luck to all
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Arkbow

The hunt

Post by Arkbow »

Here in Arkansas, we are allowed 4 deer but only 2 can be legal bucks{has to have 3 points on one side}; that being said, we cherish the antlers, but the meat is far more important and is paid alot more attentioned to;

I hunt to live and live to hunt as my family cares nothing about buying "store bought" meat during winter time;

Oh by the way, we have 5 straight months of bowhunting without restrictions on a crossbow;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
navaman

Post by navaman »

i guess a blind man is able to see i made some posting mistakes but it's still the way i feel. Mike, you get some lively exchanges going on this forum and i for one really enjoy them. :D i'm going to keep trying to learn how to post from other threads and i still got to remember how to post pictures. :oops: i'm hoping and praying that i'll have some good pics to post after the season.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."