From Pelee Island to Japan ....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Aaah a BT-99!!! That's what I shoot trap with. Early this spring, my BT-99 went past the 50,000 round point in my ownership and I bought it used at the American Grand so god only knows how many rounds have been through it. Only thing I have had to do to it is replace the release trigger with a Bob Allem release. It was back bored and forcing cone lengthened plus ported when I bought it. I had Brent Umberger (deceased now) build a custom stock for it. Real pleasure to shoot!~

DrDan
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great pictures again RJ . The pheasant hunt on Pelee island is something I always wanted to do but never have . The sad part Leamington is only 20 minutes away for me.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

DrDan wrote:Aaah a BT-99!!! That's what I shoot trap with.
Actually.......I do most of my shooting these days with a Remington 1100 Classic Trap that I bought new in Dec. 2005.

I have been prone to migraines since I was in my teens, a "lifetime" ago and have lost some recoil tollerance; the 1100CT is excellent in this dept.

My main trap gun (although I owned and shot others) from 1977 to 2005 was my 870TB, 30" fixed full, montecarlo stock. Thirty years of being used to the typical Remington 30" barrel, m/c stocked trap guns is hard to change from, since they fit me well.

The BT99 was a service award, acquired new in Feb. 2007, it was made in 2005 by the serial no. code (takes a while to jump the Pacific, sit in a warehouse, get shipped to a dealer etc.).

It is a 34" with the adjustable stock. With the stock set for 1 3/8" drop at heel, it shoots 70/30 and patterns everything very well with the standard Invector Plus full tube. I like the gun and was running a 98 average in April/May with it, then the headaches started in the warmer weather; I hate being "delicate" :wink:
10Ring
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Great pics love to see your pics all the time there great!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

10-ring

I "totally" understand! I do not like a kicking trap gun. We generally shoot 150 rounds in an evening and I can't enjoy it with a kicker. If you send your BT barrel down to Briley's in Texas they can backbore and lengthen the forcing cone and I'd also have them port it. That's what has been done to mine (it's also 34") and believe me it is like shooting a 22 rifle. On the other hand I have a Browning Superposed Broadway Trap Version and after about 50 to 75 rounds I'm ready to put it away. I should take my own advice and send the barrels to Briley. They just do outstanding work on shotguns. I just like the break open action - a very solid clunk when they close. I'm a nut on fine machining... I know what you mean about fit though. A guy told me that you can't start hitting well with a trap gun until you have shot 10,000 rounds through it and I totally believe it. I will never get in the high 90's since I'm in a wheelchair and swing and balance isn't real good. We don't really care about scores though. We just shoot to relax and the location of our trap range is just absolutely beautiful

The shotgun I shoot the very best is what they call a White Powder Wonder 20 ga single barrel with exposed hammer. Made by Harrington and Richardson back in the 20's. It belonged to my Dad and I kept sneaking it out hunting when I was about 9 years old. He finally told me that he knew what I was doing so just take it for my own. So to put it in a nutshell, I been shooting that gun my whole life. Since my spine has rods and only rotates a few degrees I have to shoot one handed to swing wide on pheasants. The WP Wonder only weighs 5# so it is easy to handle for me. I blow people away with my one handed shooting. I shot a cock bird a couple weeks ago that was going straight over the top of me and never even shouldered the gun. Had the butt plate on my leg pointing up and just took the shot as the bird came over me. I must have only been 15 yards away and I never seen such a cloud of feathers! Definitely not an eating bird. My buddy said he's never seen anything like that - he didn't even get his Beretta up to his shoulder. They all used to give me crap about that gun since it has no bluing left and the stock is all scarred up. They used to say "bring on the sheep or do you hear banjo's playing?" when I uncased it but the jokes over now. They know I'll clean up on their misses with that old gun. I think it goes back to the old adage, "Show me a man with one gun and I'll bet he knows how to shoot it". Nice to run into a shotgunner on here.

DrDan
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

DrDan wrote: If you send your BT barrel down to Briley's in Texas they can backbore and lengthen the forcing cone and I'd also have them port it. That's what has been done to mine (it's also 34") and believe me it is like shooting a 22 rifle.
The new BT99's like mine, reintroduced in 2000, are factory overbored.

There's a lot of arguements on shotgun forums about the effects of forcing cone work, backboring and porting.

I shy away from them but from my experience, I cannot discern any difference.

I have my 1976 870TB, .729" bore and a 1994 870TC with the factory .745" bore. I cannot tell any difference between the these two guns which are dimensionaly identical and weigh the same.

My wife had a BT99 Magnaported in Michigan in 1992 and had the forcing cone lengthened, we could not notice any benefit after these mod.'s.

The new, overbored BT99 does pattern very well with anything I have tested it with though.

I would not call the new BT99 hard kicking for me, my problem with recoil comes and goes over periods of time, sometimes this may be due to lapsing into sloppy stance in my case :oops:
DrDan wrote:A guy told me that you can't start hitting well with a trap gun until you have shot 10,000 rounds through it and I totally believe it.
Yeah, the 10,000 round figure is commonly used in trapshooting, it is often true. I took to the 1100CT immediatedly, shooting a 49/50 the first afternoon I took it out and hit the range thereafter in that mode. HOWEVER, this was "cheating" the 10,000 round thoery because the gun was esentially the same as my 870TB & TC, with a few more oz.'s weight up front and less recoil sensation. So it was not a radical departure from what I was shooting previously.
DrDan wrote: I will never get in the high 90's since I'm in a wheelchair and swing and balance isn't real good.
That would bring in a signifigant added challenge for sure.
DrDan wrote:The shotgun I shoot the very best is what they call a White Powder Wonder 20 ga single barrel with exposed hammer....etc
It is amazing that most of us have something like that which just happens to "catch us right" ergonomically and we can really shoot it well.

It would be interesting to be there to see the response when you made that shot.
DrDan wrote: Nice to run into a shotgunner on here.DrDan
I used to be pretty active here.

I was quite active in 3D shooting with a crossbow from 2001 to 2004. Our club had an active 3D program, which I worked on along with the other work party members.

In 2004, it just "dried up", people quit coming out, the general public can be fickle, the locals just lost interest, it seemed.

I have shot trap from 1969 to the present. I started here, through moves I have been a member at the Oshawa Skeet and Gun Club and Crumlin in London; I still miss the Southern Couties Interclub which Crumlin participates in.

With the demise of our 3D program, I concentrated on trap and am the trapchairman at our club currently.
10Ring
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Great pics R.J. I always enjoy your photo's
enjoy the woods
Doug