My little guy is growing up..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Dave (proud Dad of Hunter)

Please do us all a favour.

If you can get that lad of yours to pose again wearing his safety glasses and muffs, holding his target and rifle, and smiling that big smile of his, please do it. Just make sure that you have enough light to show the action open, and get him to point the muzzle a bit better.

Then that picture will have all the positive elements and be above reproach. Not that I am reproaching you, because I'm not intending that. I see your son's photo as an opportunity to get some positive public relations where youth and firearms are the mix, and the photo just needs a bit of a tweak to suit that purpose.

Next, get it enlarged and framed. One is for hanging in your son's bedroom. Trust me, years from now, you will be glad you did. The other is for hanging in the main sitting area of your club. I doubt that you are the only father or grandfather who attends the club facilities. Those other fathers and grandfathers need to be encouraged/shamed into following your example.

Firearms organizations desparately need to be encouraging youth involvement in firearms--and not the kind we hear about on the news. Give a 3x5 copy of the new picture to your club president and suggest he might want to do an interview with your local newspaper. It just might encourage other dads to get their kids involved in safe and legal firearms training. Unless your newspaper is completely gun-hating, it will likely do this up as a human interest story even if it is not a "news" item.

It would be so nice for the "soccer moms" to read about a boy having fun and learning how to handle firearms safely. Otherwise the only stuff they read about is what the gang bangers are doing.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper ...

Thought you might like to know that I could clearly see that the bolt was open and the rifle was not in battery in the picture as you posted it ... and that the barrel is firmly in the grip of your son's hand and wasn't pointed at him or anyone else.

The arm was safely disabled, and the muzzle was in control.

And that's good work, Dad ... and son. :D

Hi5: This is not a criticism of your remarks; just my perspective. :)
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have hundreds of pictures of him enjoying this sport, our pictures are usually done on the fly, I am certainly no photographer. :D I have pictures of him shooting bows, crossbows (one of him shooting Boos crossbow with him), little guns, big guns.. I can duplicate any of those photos.. Problem is that smile, that came from his heart after running that grouping. Right now I want to focus on him understanding and following the rules of safety opposed to asking him to prove it by means of a photograph.
I am all for the idea of promotion of this sport, but what I shared is just a snapshot of a moment of his life and I would hate to spoil it by asking him to try to duplicate his pride. He is terribly camera shy, yet I have managed over 5000 pictures of him in his short life so far..
I am going to put serious thought into what you said, and if the opportunity comes up again where all the elements are in his favor, and I happen to have my camera I will take that photo and run with it.
This is a small community, I would hate to see it backfire and all the misinformed "soccer Moms" keep their children away from the kid with the gun. It's an unfortunate reality that I have to keep in mind as a father.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Pydpiper wrote:.................................................
This is a small community, I would hate to see it backfire and all the misinformed "soccer Moms" keep their children away from the kid with the gun. It's an unfortunate reality that I have to keep in mind as a father.

I certainly understand your concern. I don't want your boy to be a sacrifice in the cause of promoting safe and legitimate use of firearms.

That's why I was urging that the club be the promoter here. The club could describe the facilities, and explain safety measures and how safety training is paramount to the club. Safety. Safety. Safety. Kids. Kids. Kids. That's the theme that needs to be hammered home. Dang it, the only time we hear about firearms and kids is when there's been a gang shootout.

As long as you become comfortable with the idea, your club is missing the boat if they don't seize the opportunity offered by this fine example of a "poster boy".

Thank you for the writeup and posting the photos, I enjoyed them. I appreciate the sharing. On the bigger issue of Public Relations and Firearms, and when it comes to the thinking on this site, that's a case of the minister preaching to the choir! We're already with you, my friend. Let's influence the well meaning but ignorant out there!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.