Anybody Hunting out there?/if so what?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grandpafixit

Crows and Nutria

Post by grandpafixit »

Watch out eating crows they are one of the major carriers of WEST NILE VIRUS.
I saw a program on I think it was PBS a few years ago about harvesting Nutria and they had some tasty recipes. Besides rabbits are rodents too and the Nutria's diet is probably better with out evergreens to make the meat bitter
I work to live I live to GOLF
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Grandpa! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I know all about swamp disorientation, Sax! People who aren't familiar with their unique environments just don't understand, and can't until they get in one for once and learn. Our pocosin habitats are even worse than hardwood swamp ... go 50 yards in, close your eyes and turn around twice, and unless the sun is out, you can be badly mixed up. I have to laugh at some of the hunting shows on which they speak of "thick brush" ... I've seen balding men with more stuff on their head. You want thick, we've got it in our woods. You can't see five feet ahead of you in lots of places. It's just not the same as those wide open park-like woods in other places.

Our swamps and pocosins and pondpine flats can be very dangerous, too. There are places where the vegetation actually grows on floating mats of peat, and it's possible to break through into underground water. Many of our streams and swamps have muck bottoms ... if you're in a boat and you lose it, you're not walking out, plain and simple. Better find a log to float on, 'cause cypress knees make for rough sitting! :D

I love our wetlands and swamps and pocosins for their vast wildness and incredible diversity ... so much more wildlife (and everything else, snakes and bugs too!) than is found in other areas ... and for their adversity. You gotta love a land that can kill you so easily if you don't watch out. :D There's beauty there, too ... as is true of all areas.

And yes, there are those moments "back in there" when things just don't feel right. Time to go home. Who knows why?

I like to have a compass with me, and try to be aware of some directional reference point. These new GPS units are the thing ... have to get one someday.

Stay safe, Sax ... but relax ... I've never heard of a man-eating nutria! 8)
Grizz, always keep that compass with you even if you have a gps. The compass should never fail. I got turned around pretty good in January. In some thick stuff. The only way to see sky was to look straight up. Or hope for a blow down. One of those places that if you wanted to dispose of a body it would likely never be found.

A gps will have trouble pciking up satellite signals in such thick brush. And depending on the model it may not have a magnetic compass, so you would have to orient yourself to the sun/moon or start walking to determine direction.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

fellas I know shot over A HUNDRED CROWS last sat near strahroy ont.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Thanks, Chris! I will! :D
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Been hunting the critters with the camera lately :lol: . Turkeys in less than a month!!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum Grandpa, The only thing i am hunting is Card board targets :lol: :lol: I just HATE this time of year :cry:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]