posted speeds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The speed thing is always a point of discussion in the archery business and some manufacturers are less than honest with thier speeds. Bill and I recently spent quite a bit of time shooting all of our bows through a chronograph using all arrow and tip combinations. The crossbows we used were just models we had laying around from trade shows so we did nothing special to them.

We were very happy to discover that all models did at least what we advdertised and some did better. Each of our crossbows is an "individual" since they are pretty much hand-built but they will be pretty darn near what we advertise if you use the same string and arrow weight we used during testing. If you follow this link to our website you can see what each model will do with what arrow and tip weight:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m ... ent_id=132

Let us know what you think of this information.

Peter
terry-1

cbow

Post by terry-1 »

Cossack, you are right on the cyclone with a 400gr bolt does right at 350FPS with 425gr it does around 340FPS. Basiclly the Parker carbon bolt is right at 300grs weight on my digital scale so it comes down to if you are using a 100gr or 125gr head. With they Cyclone I had better luck with compact style fixed broadheads I think do to the high speed 350 FPS and ended up going with the G5 Montec 100gr they group 2" or better at 25 yards. I agree about field use though the best thing Excalibur has going for them is simple stupid easy to work on at home or in the field. You can take the whole crossbow apart and put them back togather no Pro shop needed. I have had my Excoet for over 7 years now it still shoots like new and all I do is change the strings and DB pads once a year.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Fergie10 wrote:i was talking to a guy at BPS last night and he said that they sell more xcals than any other bow in stock. says something dosnt it :D
May have been me - anyways, it's true, Excalibur is BY FAR our best seller. I don't think they'd want me to say exactly how many we sell each year, but Peter tells me we're the single biggest dealer anywhere.

I'd be willing to bet that I've personally assembled and shot more of these bows than anyone in the last 3 years, including people from the company, and I do not recall ever coming across the slightest defect in a new bow. (Except for a few scope issues, and Excalibur doesn't make those.)

In about the last year we've had exactly one Excalibur returned to the store with a problem (chipped finish on the limbs). We immediately replaced the limbs for the customer and he was on his way in minutes.

Not the fastest crossbow out there any more, but easily the most reliable, and there's nothing more accurate.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm getting to the point about rethinking the speed thing anyway. (As I recall the same thing happened with rifle and handgun chamberings I shoot). There is no such thing as a free lunch. In guns it's more recoil, stretched cases and noise). In bows it's noise, cocking effort and component wear, esp strings and serving.
Now thinkin' all that is necessary (for hunting) is something that effectively and efficiently kills the intended target. I've had my fling with 8 wildcats but have settled on a 7/08 to carry when rifle hunting. Have played with Equinox and lately the Cyclone, both doing 350 fps. But I'm thinkin' 300 may be just about right for my deer hunting needs.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

onmedic wrote:............................
If excaliburs customer service is that good than i can expect to have it replaced if it doesn't perform to those specs.
I'm not sure if you are serious.... :?:

There are a lot of things that can affect bolt speed that is not the fault of the bow manufacturer. I own two Excalibur bows and the minor problem that I've had was quickly remedied. That's not to say, though, that unless there was a significantly sub-standard performance a customer can reasonably expect bow replacement.

But then, I'm just a satisfied customer, not a spokesman for Excalibur.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bj

Post by bj »

Stash wrote:
Fergie10 wrote:i was talking to a guy at BPS last night and he said that they sell more xcals than any other bow in stock. says something dosnt it :D
I'd be willing to bet that I've personally assembled and shot more of these bows than anyone in the last 3 years,
i'll Take that bet !!!!!!!!!!!- How much ??? - i'll put up my first born
Stash

Post by Stash »

Well, since our store sells the most Excals, and we assemble them and sight them in for customers, and I've done most of the archery sales at the store in the last 3 years, and since the people at the plant or large mail-order dealers don't actually fully assemble and shoot the bows before they box them up, I think I have a good claim on that. Hard to prove outright though.

I'm not interested in anyone's first born, but I'll go a coffee... :D
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I don't think I would take that bet with BJ there Stash...he's been doing this for a very long time and has sold his fair share of Excalibur's :wink: ! Not to mention all the tournament shooting he's done too.... There are a few on this forum that would be in the running I suspect for the most bows shot :D .

Peter
Stash

Post by Stash »

Well, I did say "in the last 3 years". :D I didn't have anything to do with them before 2005..

Anyways, my point is about my experience with the reliabilty of Excaliburs. Nothing better out there.
ranger

Post by ranger »

My Vortex.....

303/304 fps with 409.5grn arrows....

Y25 Relayer

Havent checked it yet but should be around the same,will set chrono up tomorow and check....
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
bj

Post by bj »

Stash wrote: I'm not interested in anyone's first born, but I'll go a coffee... :D
:shock: ...darn, i thought i could finally get this one out of the nest :wink:

This is all in fun Stash and if we meet the coffee's on me...