Tonights hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I haven't seen that many poisonous snakes while hunting but still have seen a few. I have however gotten accustomed to wearing snakeboots while hunting. I have had two pairs, both Redheads. The first pair was the laceups and my current pair are the zip ups. I would advise the zip ups! Definitely alot faster and easier to get on and off! Be careful out there!
Why ride when you can walk!
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

that is a fine looking specimine! glad you got him FIRST!
thanks philip
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

He's below average . . .should have let him crawl until he got some mass. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Benu

Post by Benu »

Great shot and picture for the trophy room. Up here we wouldn't even be permitted to carry the 38 for protection. When I was talking about going out for black bear, my brother from law in NC asked "Are you taking a hand gun for back up?" And of course I said nope just the xbow. He thinks I am nuts. But that is the law. I guess I take a pocket knife, that otta be enough. :(
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
mikej

Post by mikej »

man am i glad i don't live down there. as we don't have any thing that big the biggest i've seen here are the ones robin posted but thats still to big. i haven't heard of thses missisaga rattlesnakes i'll have to keep an eye out. i like snakes about as much as boo likes bears :lol:
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

Hi Sax, that is a beautiful looking snake, we have quite a few venomious snakes here but they are protected, and that's ok I like snakes i have three pet snakes but they are not poisonous
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sax the SNAKE CHARMER! :D

All you need is a turban! :wink:

We have the same poisonous snakes here that you do, Sax:

Eastern Diamondback
Timber Rattler
Pigmy Rattler
Copperhead
Cottonmouth
Coral Snake

I commonly see all but the Eastern and the Coral.

We're not allowed to carry handguns during our bow seasons, which is one of my pet peeves. :twisted: Even with my concealed carry permit, I cannot protect myself when in my own woods bowhunting ... and there is plenty here to protect yourself from!

We are also prohibited from killing Eastern, Timber and Pigmy rattlesnakes (coral snakes too, though we don't see those much), though that has to be the most ignored wildlife law in East Carolina! :lol: We can kill these when there is a "clear and imminent threat to our self and safety". Just seeing one while hunting would not qualify.

Special note:

Sax, I'M SURE YOU KNOW THE REGULATIONS AND HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING AGAINST FLORIDA'S WILDLIFE LAWS ... but I wanted to say this for the benefit of all:

Everyone needs to be VERY CAREFUL about posting any info on the web about an activity that might be prohibited by wildlife law, like killing snakes or packing a sidearm. Fish and Wildlife officers commonly monitor hunting forums (and even do searches with keywords and phrases ... some agencies have special internet officers), and lots of pinches are made with postings and pictures as evidence. For instance, if carrying a sidearm while bowhunting WERE illegal and if Eastern Diamondbacks WERE protected in Florida, you would have just provided enough evidence and testimony for a case and probable conviction!

We all realize there are times when our actions are justifiable but technically illegal. I wouldn't want anyone to get themselves in trouble! :D

Like many around here, I feel the presence of a venemous snake in an area I commonly frequent is "a clear and imminent threat to health and safety" ... but the law doesn't see it that way!

Please know that I mean no disrespect to Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers. I'm on their side, and am all for proper enforcement of reasonable laws. However, I realize that sometimes game laws put people in unreasonable and even dangerous situations ... as is the case here in East Carolina. As in the case of defending yourself against venemous snakes, sometimes prudence dictates that you must violate a regulation in consideration of your personal safety, and I think it also prudent to avoid incriminating yourself in such situations. :D
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

pet snakes ? now i am curious those are 2 words i would have never thought would be put together. what are they? how big ? i respect your choice of a pet but i'll stick to my dogs :lol: if there's ever a snake in my house that will be a VERY BAD day
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree with what you are saying wabi about the conservation officers checking around hunting forums it makes sense but how would they enforce such a thing? lets saying for instance what sax did was wrong and what is posted here was enough evidence how could they persue that with not having any of his personal information real name address etc. they couldn't possibily build a case against saxman could they. not being a smart a$$ simply curious as to they way it would work.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

mikej . . .a forum member had an issue . . .tigerpaw. Some folks that knew him complained about a couple of bucks he had posted here. I think it turned out that he was legal, but, it caused him some grief to prove it.

When you post here with pictures . . .it's almost treated as a confession.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dutchhunter

way to go saxman

Post by dutchhunter »

I hear most souther peopsl eat snakes have u tried them .My dutch background has some intresting foods as well eel and salted heiring are some of my favs way to go DUTCH
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks for clearing that up scott thats awful its like a family here people shouldn't go running around with stories
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Mike ...

I'm not Wabi, but thanks for associating me with my running mate:

WABI / GRIZZ 2012

There's more than enough evidence to make a case just in this thread, if Sax had been in the wrong (not to say he is ... I'm sure he isn't).

If I were a Florida wildlife enforcement officer and this situation were a violation, I'd be off and running ... or able to get another man on it. Believe me ... a skilled searcher could find more than enough info to proceed. Saxman's real name is here, as well as his general address, and more than that.

Besides, this isn't the only place Sax is found on the Web.

What I wrote was a well-intentioned warning to everyone.

Trust me ... enforcement agencies are more than net-capable. They're net-savvy, and "game wardens" are more actively monitoring websites for possible violations than ever before.
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

sorry grizz i must have read the post wrong to think it was wabi posting thanks for correcting me and like i said i was by no means being a smart a$$ just simply asking a question i wasn't aware that could happen thank you grizz for explaining it and for the tip
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I were put in a bad position last year that involved a big rattler and not thinking, I posted the episode on here with a photo and was reminded by Wabi that I could have possibly incriminated myself. So many laws here in NC are senseless but I will defend myself in my family. Tyler was in immediate danger but what would I had to have gone through to prove it? Who knows but I don't need that kind of inconvenience in my life right now. Saxman was perfectly legal in harvesting this snake as long as it was on private land, which it was. I think what Grizz is reminding us is to know your state's laws and be ready to justify your actions. Just think twice before you hit the submit button. As a fellow forum member said "SSS" (shoot, shovel & shut up) :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray