Thermacell??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey fishingbud I never set in a cloud of smoke..I put it just down wind of me or right behind me..youd be crazy to set there and whiff that crap..mosquitos and other pest find you by your CarbonDioxide discharge for one and if this is downwind mixing with your CD they wont even come close to you..I use it out in the hot tub at night with the wife we just set it over on the table and let it blow away from us it works..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I too am a believer in the Thermacell. Best invention since sliced bread.

As for a cloud of smoke, I rarely even see smoke from ours and then only when you first put a new pad in.

As for the noisy starting. We turn ours on, wait about 10 seconds then one click will light it.

I've talked to a few dozen folks here in Michigan and have yet to have one say it has bothered any deer.

Not sure about windy conditions but for sure they would probably lose a lot of their effectiveness.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

Hoss wrote:Hey fishingbud I never set in a cloud of smoke..I put it just down wind of me or right behind me..youd be crazy to set there and whiff that crap..mosquitos and other pest find you by your CarbonDioxide discharge for one and if this is downwind mixing with your CD they wont even come close to you..I use it out in the hot tub at night with the wife we just set it over on the table and let it blow away from us it works..
Makes a little more sense when you put it like that. They still see movement fairly well - either way the mesh I use works well. I sit still and up high = with the mesh they don't bother me much. The buzz sometimes gets to me when it is slow - but hey each to there own.
footprint

Post by footprint »

Hoss wrote:TIP------------> The blue pads seem to last longer than the fuel or some times you just need more.. go into the health and beauty aids area of walmart and look for the little bottles of fuel that they use in the portable currling irons..ITS the same as thermacell fuel bottles.They are cheaper than thermacell fuel cells... :wink:
Great tip Hoss, I've been using one for several Turkey seasons but never thought of that!

Footprint, the frugal 8)
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with new units. The reason I ask is because on another forum there were a couple of guys complaining that the new units would not light. Sent in and got new ones and they lasted only a short time. That is the first complaint I've ever heard about them.

I even take mine on my bicycle rides....for times when nature calls and you have to go into the bushes. Nasty dropping your drawers when you have skeeters trying to eat you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
footprint

Post by footprint »

B-Logger wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with new units. The reason I ask is because on another forum there were a couple of guys complaining that the new units would not light. Sent in and got new ones and they lasted only a short time. That is the first complaint I've ever heard about them.

I even take mine on my bicycle rides....for times when nature calls and you have to go into the bushes. Nasty dropping your drawers when you have skeeters trying to eat you.
I've had problems with two new units, one was the first model, the next was the lantern version. The lantern only worked ONCE in fact.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

During the last days of turkey season my 2 year old Thermacell clunked out on me, just stopped working.. It was a quiet morning so I used my Blackberry to Google a solution while I was still under the tree. I could not find one single issue with the unit.
I brought it back and exchanged it for a new one.
Story gets worse.. :D
I took my shiny new one on a 4 day fishing trip on the French river with my buddies, they laughed at me when I said I never brought bug, spray "I didn't need it, I have this!" And held my new Thermacell up high.. Damn thing would not light, all I heard all weekend while we were being completely eaten by bugs is "maybe Dave will get his bug thing out and swat at them with it". It was humiliating.. :D
I got home and bought a new one, two actually, both have been fine since.
If you have to rely on one, buy two.

I worked the first one hard, camping, fishing,working around the yard.. The second one was a freak of nature, bad timing for me, great timing for my friends. :oops:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

We own three. The first one we got you have to push the button 15-20 times to get it going. The second one usually lights with one push of the button. Haven't tried the third one yet.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

We got some skeeters down here. Not like Alaska, but they will flat swarm yah. I can't sit still and let one feed, it just gets to me. I bought a bug suit, Shannon's or something. Swim trunks, socks, snake boots, and a cap and the suit is all you need. Feel every breeze, roomy, easily cleaned. The suit has fishnet material sewn inside, and that creates a gap between the cloth and the skin, and the skeeters nose can't reach yah.

Look like a bush, even to other hunters. Not like a ghilly, but close enough. It is durable, mine has some age. Wash it when I get home, hang dry overnight, good to go.

Sitting there watching the skeeters crawling all over it is interesting. I am not sure about breathing burnt chemicals.

We''ll never beat them things, will we ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I just bought one and was wondering about where and how to place it while in a treestand. The instructions say to lay the unit flat so the black grill is facing up, can the unit not be worn while in use ie: in the holster. How about when walking through the woods in the middle of summer while putting stands out. I would like to think it could be worn in some fashion.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
cdup

Post by cdup »

chris4570 wrote:I just bought one and was wondering about where and how to place it while in a treestand. The instructions say to lay the unit flat so the black grill is facing up, can the unit not be worn while in use ie: in the holster. How about when walking through the woods in the middle of summer while putting stands out. I would like to think it could be worn in some fashion.

I have used mine while squirrel hunting by hanging it from my belt loop. The only thing with doing that is when you begin to walk, you leave the protected area behind. It takes time for it to work again after coming to a stop. I usually wear a light deet spray to keep me protected during that stage of the stalking and hunting. Then again, I live in Louisiana, You may be able to get away with just the thermal cell unit and leave out the spray! :)
Respect everyone, but fear no one
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

Work great. I hunt in a swampy area and I can see the mosquitos all around me. It really forms a nice cocoon. I hand mine on a branch while hunting in a tree stand.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

chris4570 wrote:I just bought one and was wondering about where and how to place it while in a treestand. The instructions say to lay the unit flat so the black grill is facing up, can the unit not be worn while in use ie: in the holster. How about when walking through the woods in the middle of summer while putting stands out. I would like to think it could be worn in some fashion.
Chris, I had the opportunity to try one out while walking just a couple weeks ago. The fellow I walked with chose to use spray. On top, I wore only a t-shirt and I did not use any spray.

We walked over a mile in the woods and on the edge for a little ways. I saw him spray himself 3 times and numerous times I'd look and he'd be swatting them away from his face and arms. I never got bit even once.

What I did while walking was just to carry it in one hand with the pad up. My thinking is that if you use it in a holster on your side that the heat won't get to the pad to do any good. Heat does rise, I think.

As for while hunting, probably best is sitting on the platform, but you'd have to be very careful lest you knock it off (that would be my luck). I've never had to use one while hunting but if so, I'd probably make something to hold it onto the platform or else just use a small bungee to strap it on.

On the walking, I do not know how fast one could walk before it quit doing you any good but that day in the woods worked great for me.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wear mine, I put it in the holster and strap it to my arm if I am walking and to my leg if I am sitting. The holster is made to run the unit, they only say "not to do it" because I am sure their insurance would be substantially more if they said you could strap a propane driven unit to your body.
Use the holster, keep the heat going "up", and you will be fine.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Love mine. Trick to lightening 'em is to wait 4-5 seconds for butane to flow then ignite. Trying to make my own pads using mosquito coils crushed and dissolved in bit of water, spread on used up pad.