O T canned deer meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote:From what I understand using a pressure canner is the safest way to make it. Personally, I wouldn't take the health risk of doing it any other way.
I agree, Vix ... definitely when canning meat or low-acid veggies.

I come from a big gardening and canning family, and it's my opinion that there's no need to water-bath anything ... even high-acids like fruit and tomatoes. I think water-bathing uses too much time and expensive fuel, makes too much steam and is risky when putting up many foods. Why bother?

But that's only my opinion ... worth no more than it cost to read it! :D
Grizz
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Oh my goodness. The first time I had canned venison several years ago, I knew those folks were on to something. YUM!!
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

For those that are posting the recipes, are you adding any water to the jars? I am very interested in the process and will probably try and can my own! :D
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I had a friend that canned venison. He cubed it, rolled it in flour, salt, pepper, then browned it in oil in a big elec skillet. Here's the part I'm not sure on, but would swear he put his jars in the pressure cooker at 15 lbs for 45 minutes. It came out like what we called 'hot beef', kinda in a gravy.
"Eze 18:21"