Rangefinder Mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

ok since nobody else has asked i'll bite , why do you have 3 carbon arrows and one aluminum in your quiver
Last edited by mikej on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:
mikej wrote:who is the member that designed the mount. i have been wondering something about using one of these for quite a while
I think that member should expose himself if he feels it is appropriate! Hmmmm might not be a good idea, the expose himself thing. Might be best if he just tells! It would not be a nice sight!
ok thats cool i just had a few questions that he could likely answer :lol:
BUS314

oh nooooooo

Post by BUS314 »

Boo wrote:
mikej wrote:who is the member that designed the mount. i have been wondering something about using one of these for quite a while
I think that member should expose himself if he feels it is appropriate! Hmmmm might not be a good idea, the expose himself thing. Might be best if he just tells! It would not be a nice sight!

Now that's a scary thought Boo :oops:---C'mon bud, chime in here, share ya knowledge with this guy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... sc&start=0

Notice the date on Bill's post. They brought the rf mount out at the ATA in 07. I sent him the prototype in Oct 05. It resembled the home brew pictured by the OP in this thread. I had over 1200 shots on it w/ my Emax seeing if I could tear up my rf [same as OP]

I had a $120 rf at risk. Excal has a rep to protect, hence the rubber padding, one piece build, and lengthy delay for testing.

You guys making home builts can use a 30mm ring w/ a wrap of rubber around the scope for some vibration protection. Bill didn't care for that, lol.

They seem to work fine w/ over the bow quiver mounts like Gpounders and Danny's as long as the quiver is off.

I lost one prototype and my rf on a hog hunt in La while carrying my bow on the back of 4 whlr around 1600 acres. The ring to mount screw came loose and adios amigo.
"Eze 18:21"
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks dan i think my question was answered in that post. i was wanting to use it as a video camera mount but i see it won't work :x
ch312

Post by ch312 »

thats the exact same design we thought of after seeing them at the sportsmans show. if they were around $20-25 we each would have bought one, but $40+tax is simply too much for something that can be made for $12.

i plan on using 2 scope rings mounted to a base instead of just 1 for a little insurance. figure red lock tight on the screws should prevent them from ever getting loose. then having a safety line hooked from my rangefinder to scope base to be extra sure. its one thing to lose and arrow, but a rangefinder is a different story. :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

ch312 wrote:thats the exact same design we thought of after seeing them at the sportsmans show. if they were around $20-25 we each would have bought one, but $40+tax is simply too much for something that can be made for $12.

i plan on using 2 scope rings mounted to a base instead of just 1 for a little insurance. figure red lock tight on the screws should prevent them from ever getting loose. then having a safety line hooked from my rangefinder to scope base to be extra sure. its one thing to lose and arrow, but a rangefinder is a different story. :D
By all means feel free, lol. The 2 ring method will pose a few conditions for you. You'll probably have to put them one before and one behind the turrets, which your top will no longer be readily available. The unit will be longer and heavier than you may like.

I have sprayed a ring w/ carb cleaner or starting fluid as a degreaser and had good results w/ just blue loc tite on the one ring, fwiw.

I've got one of Danny's scope wrenches I carry and have taken to just leaving the ring on the scope and putting the rf mount on when I use it which is not every hunt. I don't need to range bears or turkeys, for one example. Have fun!

Weren't you experimenting w/ slowing bows down w/ loops on string to lessen draw length? Any results there I missed?
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

:D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BUS314

Maaaaan

Post by BUS314 »

I'm sure glad that's all the exposure that resulted! :lol: ----good job
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

gps
Thanks for your input, I have yet to come up with a way to mount a vertical rangefinder like my Nikon 440. Anyway it would make a lot of noise (Velcro noise) when it;s removed to range other positions. Guess I'll just try to remember or tag distance from my tree.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Here is the range finder mount that I made for my Phoenix.
It started out as an all steel mini-14 side mount. I attached it to the scope with a weaver one-inch ring and being a southpaw turned it so that the flat part that mounted to the mini-14 was horizontal to the right hand side of the bow. I did however; heavily rubber coat using the liquid rubber all of the mount except for the ring and did in fact rubberize the inside of the ring lightly to reduce shock to the scope. I then added pieces of Velcro to the flat pieces top, bottom and side so that I could use two strips of Velcro to attach it securely to the range finder. By doing it this way, I didn’t have to change my low rings to medium rings for my scope. I have already field tested the mount hunting turkey this week and found it to be very securely mounted. I am able to use my right eye for ranging and then just open my left to acquire the target. I wish I could mount a monetary switch to the range finder and on the bow to keep my hand movements down and not have to hold the bow one handed while ranging. But it does work great.

mikej

Post by mikej »

looks good
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Very nice, thanks for sharing your design. :D
Straightshooter

Post by Straightshooter »

Here's Excaliburs mount "Vertical" with a groundpounder mount.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Straightshooter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 18 times in total.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.