Pulled out flat nock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

'If you never ever want it to come back out, then use gorilla glue. You will be stuck with it then. Very small amount, it expands. Warning . . .it never comes out.''

Another poster says GG lets loose with heat. Which is it?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote:'If you never ever want it to come back out, then use gorilla glue. You will be stuck with it then. Very small amount, it expands. Warning . . .it never comes out.''

Another poster says GG lets loose with heat. Which is it?
I tried heat. Tried boiling water. Tried solvents. I couldn't get it to move at all. I've never had Gorilla Glue to fail, ever. That may not be a good thing. One more thing, I never used any type of cleaner before applying the glue either and I use very little.

If you think for a second there might be a need to remove an insert or an nock, then don't use Gorilla Glue.

Just been my experience . . .Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Here's why I asked, sumner 4491, you can see my confusion:

"I use a 2" long, 8-32 screw. I screw it into the insert, heat the screw with my propane torch, then grip the screw with pliers and pull the insert out. Works terrific on aluminum and brass inserts plus aluminum nocks. Haven't ever ruined or damaged a carbon shaft doing this. I use Gorilla Glue to glue inserts and nocks into the shaft. Tough stuff and loosens up with heat!"

I've had mixed results with carbons. Just the other day I pulled the 'guts' out of one, ostensibly from not heating long enough. Had to cut it down and make it into a 'let down' arrow. May try experimenting with GG next time. I know it holds extremely well in other application. Have to make sure it doesn't get on hands, does not come off with any solvent I've tried.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote:Here's why I asked, sumner 4491, you can see my confusion:

"I use a 2" long, 8-32 screw. I screw it into the insert, heat the screw with my propane torch, then grip the screw with pliers and pull the insert out. Works terrific on aluminum and brass inserts plus aluminum nocks. Haven't ever ruined or damaged a carbon shaft doing this. I use Gorilla Glue to glue inserts and nocks into the shaft. Tough stuff and loosens up with heat!"

I've had mixed results with carbons. Just the other day I pulled the 'guts' out of one, ostensibly from not heating long enough. Had to cut it down and make it into a 'let down' arrow. May try experimenting with GG next time. I know it holds extremely well in other application. Have to make sure it doesn't get on hands, does not come off with any solvent I've tried.
No problem asking. I used it on carbon shafts . . .maybe that's the difference. I tried everything I could think of, maybe I didn't get it hot enough. Anyway, if someone does have a good way to remove a nock that was glued into a carbon shaft with Gorilla Glue, then please let me know. I have a couple of broken arrows with perfectly good nocks that need removing.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forum.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

Thanks,

I checked the Easton website and they recommend 24 hour epoxy. What do you think?

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
killshot

Post by killshot »

Welcom to the forum Ibex. Dan miller pliers for me.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS