Deer carts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I personally dont own any type of cart.. I use my ATV to get into most places only after a deer is harvested. I thought about the cart idea, but the more crap you take into the woods with you, the more sound you make. Then you have to hide it and plus cover the scent.

To me, all you need is a good backpack. If you cant get all the gear you need in that, then you are taking way to much into the woods :P :P

All i take in is a grunt call, cover scent, bow, binos, gloves, and a face mask :D

The Indians only had a bow and some deer skin undies :P
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Pyd,

Here are a few pics of the one I made. It just sits in the back of the pick up until it is needed. The overall easurements are 23" wide by 50" long. Here are a few pics, hopefully they will give you some ideas:

Bob

now this looks like a simple,rugged and as compact as one would like bush cart :D ..
but i hear voices in my head to build one and attach a cordless motor of somekind to it :shock:
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Most of the time I just use my bike :!: :wink:

Cutter
www.outdoor-talk.com

2010 Trail Camera Photo Contest Enter Today
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

Pyd..........maybe check into a used baby cart they haul behind bikes..just rework the handle a bit and your ready to go..
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

fogducker wrote:but i hear voices in my head to build one and attach a cordless motor of somekind to it :shock:

I thought you had a very good idea there fogducker.

Then I researched it and found someone beat you to it.

Title:
Motorized hunting cart
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent Application 20070194542
Kind Code:
A1

Abstract:
A hunting cart designed to assist a hunter with transporting objects such as hunting equipment and large game. The cart includes a pair of side rails that are arcuate in shape and parallel with each other. Interposed the side rails are a plurality of cross support members, a handle and an end rail defining the frame of the cart. A drive assembly is present that is operably connected to an axle, which is rotatably mounted to two wheels. The drive assembly includes an electric motor, a renewable power source and a chain.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Dave here is ours from Basspro . It seems to do the trick . :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Lots of great ideas, I really like the home made stuff!
Buying a cart for the sole purpose of transporting deer is being a bit optimistic on my part.. I need a cart to get my gear and a "kid or two" out there with me. Too often I find that I end up with a kid with me, my gear is minimal, but when I have one of my posse I end up having to bring more than the basics..
Noise is the reason I want a cart over running quads to our areas, all but one are walking distance and are not worth firing up a machine.. A blind, some blankets and my bow is about all I need with me when I have a little guest, on my own I get by with a backpack.
We are looking for an alternative to going in noisy. :D

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Piper, take a look at this one. It is a very unusual design as it incorporates two wheels in-line.

http://www.neetkart.com/

They are very expensive and I am sure some of the guys around here could fabricate one.

I see a lot of advantages of having the wheels in-line.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Pydpiper wrote:Lots of great ideas, I really like the home made stuff!
Buying a cart for the sole purpose of transporting deer is being a bit optimistic on my part.. I need a cart to get my gear and a "kid or two" out there with me. Too often I find that I end up with a kid with me, my gear is minimal, but when I have one of my posse I end up having to bring more than the basics..
Noise is the reason I want a cart over running quads to our areas, all but one are walking distance and are not worth firing up a machine.. A blind, some blankets and my bow is about all I need with me when I have a little guest, on my own I get by with a backpack.

I've got one of Cabelas Super Mag Haulers. It has served me well for a number of years. I've used it for hauling deer, bear and lots of gear. No kids though. I'm sure you could, although it might be uncomfortable for them.

Although it works great there is always room for improvement( I sent Cabelas a letter but they haven't changed the design :roll:) So I guess if someone wants to get creative; The cart could benefit from some brakes, helpful for long up hills and to slow decents. It could also use sidewalls so gear or deer doesn't get trapped in the spokes. Other than that it is pretty darn good. A poor mans atv is what I call it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

chris4570 wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Lots of great ideas, I really like the home made stuff!

I've got one of Cabelas Super Mag Haulers. It has served me well for a number of years. I've used it for hauling deer, bear and lots of gear. No kids though. I'm sure you could, although it might be uncomfortable for them.

Although it works great there is always room for improvement( I sent Cabelas a letter but they haven't changed the design :roll:) So I guess if someone wants to get creative; The cart could benefit from some brakes, helpful for long up hills and to slow decents. It could also use sidewalls so gear or deer doesn't get trapped in the spokes. Other than that it is pretty darn good. A poor mans atv is what I call it.
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

that inline one looks good,but i,ll bet its a PITA to keep it balanced
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

Although it works great there is always room for improvement( I sent Cabelas a letter but they haven't changed the design ) So I guess if someone wants to get creative; The cart could benefit from some brakes, helpful for long up hills and to slow decents. It could also use sidewalls so gear or deer doesn't get trapped in the spokes. Other than that it is pretty darn good. A poor mans atv is what I call it.
im sure it would be fairly easy to hook up a set of bicycle hand brakes to the wheels :wink:
munch

Post by munch »

here is one i made cost about $10
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I really hope some creative member here builds a motorized cart powered by a 12 volt sla battery.

As the baby boomers age they are looking for anything that keeps them in the woods and a powered cart would certainly go a long way to accomplish that objective.

At one time I was always surprised by the innovative products and solutions that come about by members of this forum. I no longer am. This forum is chock full of fertile minds.

Surely one of you "tinkerers" can fabricate a working model.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

There aren't very many places in our woods where you could pull anything like these carts! :!: It would be impossible to do ... our brush is just too thick. The very idea is laughable.

Our deer are seldom over 150 pounds. I pull 'em where I can, and carry 'em when I can't.

My idea of the perfect place to kill a deer is in the field where I can get the truck to it! :P :lol:

I always keep a length of rope and two super-heavy barrel-liner trash bags with me. If I ever again kill a deer that gets way back in the woods, I'll just cut a gambrel-stick, string it up, and bone it out.

As long as I can get a signal, that is ... we can register our kills via phone! :D
Grizz