Bolt for Phoenix?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I have added weight to my bolts this year as well. Added the brass inserts and am now at about 470 gns. Looking for a little more KE for the upcoming moose season. Was lucky to pull a bull tag in 15b.

I have learned a valuable lesson with this setup. Don't shoot at the same spot....
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

bstout wrote:This stuff has been beaten into the ground so many times by so many people and it's all over the internet and in text books.

It has nothing to do with anyone's opinion.

The extremes are the wrong place to be in most cases. Too light, too heavy are both incorrect. I don't know how to make it more plain.

Shoot what you like...I do.

Let people decide for themselves, Shoot what you like....I do Well let them instead of telling people how incorrect they are every time speed comes up

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:The extremes are the wrong place to be in most cases. Too light, too heavy are both incorrect. I don't know how to make it more plain.
Try defining "too lite" and "too heavy". Where is the extreme on my Vixen? At what weight will I start losing accuracy with my Vixen?

I have some lite arrows and I have some heavy ones. The lite ones are 20" GTII with alu inserts, 2" Blazers, and 100 grain tips. The heavy ones are 20" Powerbolts with brass inserts, 4" vanes, and 140 grain tips. Both are very accurate and I can't tell any difference in their flight out to 50 yards. So, it's hard for me to agree with what you are saying about losing accuracy with a liter/faster arrow, especially at hunting distances.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:
sumner4991 wrote:Both are very accurate and I can't tell any difference in their flight out to 50 yards.
Shooting indoors (no wind) or through a high crosswind and rain? Without all of the information the phrase "good groups at XXX yards" means little.

For those of you who don't enjoy reading my posts...please stop reading them. When you see my avatar skip passed the post.

It's that simple!
Bob . . .I shoot outdoors, usually sunny and breezy . . .I rarely practice in the rain, I found it too messy. I shoot the arrows side by side. I find the variety interesting and fun.

I can tell you which arrow I just shot by the feel of the bow. The heavy ones are smoother with less noise. I like the trajectory of the lite arrows. Takes some of the guess work out of estimating distance. I like the penetration abilities of the heavier arrows, which is why I ended up with a 125 gr broadhead. However, they are equally accurate, especially at hunting distances of less than 40 yards.

Overall, I find your posts very informative. I'm just having trouble understanding your position on this issue.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

IT's hard not to read your post when your to busy telling folks how incorrect they are with what they shoot if it's not near what you shoot, I didn't know you were a engineer and designer for excalibur, lite or heavy wouldn't even be a issue on here if you would stop telling folks how incorrect they are.....

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My Phoenix thrives on a diet of 405 gr arrows: GT Lazer II's, 110 brass inserts, 2" Blazers, 100 gr Slick Tricks mags. In fact the Vortex likes them too. Both wear Lumis and are sighted so their aimpoints hit identically at the comparable yardage. Life is great, no thinking, just squeeeeze the trigger and listen for 'the sound'...... like a baseball bat hitting a sack of wet rags.