Age old question...which Expandable broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DuckHunt wrote: If you are shooting an Exomax, you'll really have to try to not get a pass through.

DuckHunt
I agree. About any bow that produces a 300 FPS arrow speed will get a pass through with a mechanical.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ger34

Post by ger34 »

Ok ...so i am going to take it that my crossbow shooting 415 gr bolts (including 100 gr broadheads) @ 305fps should have no problem with a passthrough...

So far it looks like I am leaning towards the 2 blade Rage with a 2" cut....for maximum blood trail....however....there seems to be just as much positive reviews as there are negatives

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/79648/reviews.htm

Can anyone tell me WHY they decided to go from a fixed blade to an expandable?
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

ger34 wrote: @ 305fps should have no problem with a passthrough...

Can anyone tell me WHY they decided to go from a fixed blade to an expandable?
At 305, the only thing that will stop your arrow is a direct hit with heavy bone, like a shoulder. It would take a direct hit because the blades will rotate or bend around the bone.

I switched in an effort to get a broadhead that would fly exactly like my field points. I always carry a field point and will sometimes use it to shoot small game. So, I needed the broadhead to match the field point exactly. I accidently found the Hammerheads. The broadhead I went after was sold out, so I grabbed the Hammerheads because they were on sale and the 2" cut caught my eye. After hitting my first deer . . .I was SOLD. I went to the Stricknine for the replaceable tip and the extra weight.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen