Gray Face.......... The Mike P Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats Mike! Nice buck.
Many times I have wondered how on earth I'm gonna get this deer out of this tangled terrain of sorts if I shoot one here. I know how you feel in the body, been there many times myself. Yesterday I assisted a friend retrive his 250 pounder or so out of a ravine. My lower back is not happy today but buddy is!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
swiftfox

grey face mike p

Post by swiftfox »

great read congrads on the buck. It's not as much fun as I had thought it would be arriving in the "sixty's" as it was playing in the sixty's (1960's). If you ask real nice I will lend you my cell phone it come with a great neighbour who for a few beer after will help carry out your deer. :lol: :lol:

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Congratulations again Mike!

You have an interesting role reversal here now: The Swede will be out chasing the trophy buck and you'll be in the spam. :shock: :lol:
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
huntman

Post by huntman »

congrats on a good buck
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

enormous wrote:Congrats Mike! Nice buck.
Many times I have wondered how on earth I'm gonna get this deer out of this tangled terrain of sorts if I shoot one here. I know how you feel in the body, been there many times myself. Yesterday I assisted a friend retrive his 250 pounder or so out of a ravine. My lower back is not happy today but buddy is!
I guess we southern boys should be happy with our 125# deer. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Missouri_Hunter wrote:.for a second as I was reading the story I thought you were going to have a helicopter retrieve the deer :D
Trust me, I thought about it. My hunting partner Becker has one but he is a lousy pilot and would probably have killed us both if we tried to yank gray face out of there. Every time I go up in that contraption with him I am certain I am going to die!

catcher wrote:By the way what did the 2219 take out in there to put him down. You were worried it was to high
Catcher it took out his right lung. The placement was higher then I wanted but the arrow did angle down and get into his lung. I also got a good sized artery and the chest cavity was loaded with blood.
awshucks wrote: Don't know if this would help in the future, but I have a ball on both front and back of 4 whlr.
I will look into that Dan. You must have fabricated something for the front to mount the ball. I am going to put a 3000 lb. winch on the honda.

VixChix wrote:EXCELLENT! So glad all went well! I will kind of miss that that you won't be taunting us with stories of chasing some other giant mystery buck for the next 2 1/2 months. lol :lol:

Am very happy to read that your wife will be going out. Am looking forward to reading those hunt stories just as much!
It is kind of a trade off Vix. I went to Sweden with her earlier this year and now I am putting in an entire new spam at the house. Costing me a small fortune. But I have to tell you it thrills me to no end that she will once again join me out in the field.

As far as the next two and one half months, I will be out there after them. I just cannot pull the trigger on a buck here in Ohio.

sumner4991 wrote:Awesome buck! You can always head to Texas for some more hunting.
What broadhead did you use Mike P?
I will be going to the ranch over Christmas sumner and will hunt with my brothers. As far as broad heads go I still use the old style of Razorbak's, both in 125 gr. and 145 gr. These are no longer made and I have a good stock of them. The blades rotate freely along the axis and they fly like field points.

swiftfox wrote: It's not as much fun as I had thought it would be arriving in the "sixty's" as it was playing in the sixty's (1960's).
Swiftfox
Boy, isn't that the truth swiftfox! Now when I think of the Moody Blues it conjours up images of staying with the Swedes family!
Phoenix_Tom wrote:
You have an interesting role reversal here now: The Swede will be out chasing the trophy buck and you'll be in the spam. :shock: :lol:
Not a chance in hell Tom! I will be chasing the buck trying to put her on him. The problem is she hates taking instructions or orders and will probably tell me to take a hike and hunt on her own when she gets sick of listening to me. In her defense, she is a tremendous shot with both long gun and bow and will probably fare very well.
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Holy browtine batman! That buck is huge! :!:

catcher wrote:You are a big buck killing machine that is for sure.
Dat about sums that up.

I am getting the impression that Mike P doesnt do anything on a small scale.:lol:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Mike there is absolutely nothing wrong with your picture taking . The pictures accented the story just fine . :)
Congratulations :)
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike, there's nuttin wrong with them pics, after all you're using a Leica. Even if the pics left something to desire (which they did not) your words always take up the slack. Congrats once again.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

GO BIG OR GO HOME EH!!??? Congratulations on a BIG buck down!!
Esox

Post by Esox »

Great job on getting him out. I've always wanted to take one apart in the field and bring'em out that way... Quarter'em and haul'em out....Saves a lot on weight, but I guess with a brute like that it wouldn't make that much difference... You probably could've hauled him out on a mule or maybe even a horse, if it was flat enough... Works on elk and that buck is surely elk-size.....Maybe there's a neighbor with some working horses that you can use on the next one.....Belgium horses would be nice.....

Congrats on a job well done....
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Beauty buck and nicely done.! Hope you like the red-dot, I wasnt sure I would but after today I'm sold.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Very nice!!! Great story to boot!!! Maybe you can teach me what I seem to be lacking in the buck (big buck) department.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
XCaddis

What a beautiful buck

Post by XCaddis »

Congrats on the buck and the hard work. Only thing I don't understand is how your ATV couldnt pull him out.

I havent had a deer or Moose I couldnt pull out of the bush or swamp with my Foreman.

Cheers,

XCaddis
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

Congratulations he sure is a nice buck. Enjoyed you story on the hunt.The photo's are fine.