Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about you..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Re: Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about y

Post by B-Logger »

longwinters wrote:Remember that song?

Just wondering......

About your shooting life.

How much do you shoot? About how many arrows in a year?

All seasons, tournys, practice etc...about how many arrows do you figure you shoot during a year?

What is your prefered shooting method? Off hand, shooting stix etc...?

What distance, on targets, do you feel comfortable/confident shooting?

Long

Come on Longwinters, you asked for others now let's hear from you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Well, I heard that xbows were legal for everyone 50+ in Michigan on Sept 25th. Started studying up on xbows. Sold my compound etc...on about Oct 1. Ordered and received my Exocet on Oct 4th. Did not have a clue what it was all about except Bill's videos on the Excal forum. Put it together (really easy) and went to my buddies to shoot it and sight it in. Gotta say the 1st few times I shot it I was a bit nervous...really different from what I was used to.

I don't know how many times I shot it, but it was a bunch. After a few days I put my Muzzy 125's on it and shot it a bunch more times. Finally I hunted with it on Oct 12. I still shot it during the week as I could only hunt on weekends.
Took a doe and then the itch came for stuff.....You know STUFF! Stuff like a STS, arrows, string etc...

So, I haven't kept track of how many shots specifically but it was enough to get tired from pulling it back so much. When I get my ducks in a row with it I will be shooting it lots more.

I got my STS and am now waiting for my stringer so I can get my factory string reserved wide enough for the STS.

Long
Last edited by longwinters on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Conservative estimate of 5000+ shots on my Ibex since purchasing in early June. >95% offhand, out to 50 yards. I've come to enjoy shooting it almost as much as I did my selfbows.

If I were ever to get another crossbow (eventually I will, and it'll be an Excalibur), I'd be inclined to stay with this weight or lower, such as a Vixen. Have observed on this site & others that there seems to be a fairly strong correlation with crossbow power & frequency of shooting, with the lighter bows generally being shot much more often by their owners. Pretty understandable, less wear on serving, targets, and shooter. The beastly models certainly have their place & I'd be proud to own an Equinox or the like, but honestly I'd not hesitate one second to hunt the largest of North American game with my Ibex.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

=sorry, duplicate