Rage BH's will never again ride on my rail...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I Totally agree Dale! I will stick with my Wasp/Hammer SST 125 grain Fixed Blade Broadheads. If it Ain't broke don't fix it!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
BUS314

wow

Post by BUS314 »

bradm wrote:I recently harvested a buck on the 29th and it was a perfect shot and the rage put it down in 35 yards.

Two days before I was tempted to shoot a spike after only seeing doe's. I checked the rage and the blades were slowly moving out of the o-ring. as I remember they were supposed to click into place.

I immediatley put that arrow back in the quiver and grabed the next, checked that the blades clicked and was good to go. I had to replace the o-ring twice before I was able to feel that the blades were clicking into place. Therefore Always check that there is a click, therefore you can be sure of no broadhead failure.

The biggest factor in my deciding on Excalibur was it's simplicity in design assuring less to go wrong, I'm just not going to add a broadhead that has to be checkwed and rechecked & still worry about it--no meat test as of yet, but in foam the Slicks have been 100% reliable and accurate.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
wabi

Post by wabi »

I also have a few broadheads on the "will never use again" list. :lol:

Some are mechanicals, some are fixed blades. One mechanical served me well for several years, but I finally had a failure with it (failed to open, but luckily I hit the heart & recovered the deer).

Beats me why we (or at least me!) find a broadhead that is easy to tune, flies predictably, inflicts a good wound channel (does it's job well) - then we go out & buy another brand to try.

Right now I'm using a fixed blade 4-blade design (Wac'Em Exit) that has been very good. I have killed 4 deer with them and recovery has been short & easy. I did loose one deer, but that was a scope failure and the wound inflicted was a non-fatal high hit to muscle only. The deer did not even bleed much, and I'm 99% sure it will recover with no long-term disabilities.

But still I search for the perfect broadhead. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
ch312

Post by ch312 »

perfect example of why ill NEVER use a mechanical broadhead...
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Many Years ago I tried Machenicals and nicked a 7 point when the blades deployed and flew high. The next night my buddy shot a doe with them the arrow went in behind the shoulder turned and went backup into the spine. We both agreed that the advantages are outwieghed by the many disadvatages and possibilities of problems. Remember (KIS) "Keep it Simple".

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bottom line is that you owe it to the deer to check any equipment you are using before the shot. It takes a milli second to put your fingers on the blades to see if they are snug. Even when I used fixed heads I double and tripled checked everything before putting it on the rail. I check my vanes also since you never know if a limb could have snagged one. Ive had fixed heads loosen and if I didnt double check i would have have a wobble in flight.

I havent seen many mech heads that you could actaully shoot into a target without damaging the head. My guess is that maybe practicing with the heads caused the issues. The practice tip flys EXACTLY like the actaul hunting head. It flys exactly like the fieldtip also, and thats why they put on in there. Ive yet to have the slightest issue, but then again I take the time to double check. When you are in the stand for 2-6 hours its PLENTY time to check your equipment :P :wink:

but its a free country.. everyone is free to use their own style of heads. Slick tricks work great also. I just like the 3 blade range heads better though.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I dedicate untold hours of preparation to put myself within twenty-five yards of a five year old buck. I have weeks and weeks of work for every two minute encounter with this animal. I simply cannot risk any equipment failures regardless of the product.

I seek one thing in any piece of equipment that I use to hunt, and that is repeatability. I have no concern that my Phoenix or Exocet will fail me. I know that my fixed blade cut on contact Razorbak (old style, not new) broad heads will not fail, ever.

I do not have time to dedicate to anything other then the buck. The equipment must be secondary in nature and one less thing to worry about.

Lord knows there are enough variables associated with hunting this animal such as swirling winds, keen eyed doe's, etc. etc.

I do not need things I can control such as equipment joining the list of those variables.
huntone

Post by huntone »

And who can say it better than MikeP. :?: :wink: :D

Exactly
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have tried many BH's over the yrs. awshucks gave me 3 slick trick mag 100 gr & i have only one left. My review great replaceable blade BH. I have 3 montec G5 that saxmax gave to me. They hit the same as the slicks & are 100 gr. Then next inline to try out are the Snuffer 125 gr 3 blade Have half dz. new ready to go after i am done with the others.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Slick tricks is the way to go!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

GUYS :shock: this is why we shoot excaliburs keep it effective and simple all these mechanical blades moving parts will evently catch you. Again i could buy a barnett and shoot deer with it 10 out a 10 times but the 11 time a trophy walks out and pow somthin stupid breaks why risk it if you put any broad head in the boiler room it will do the trick . Now when ur arrow breaks befor it gets to the deer you got aproblem I DONT LIKE PROBLEMS :twisted: THATS WHY I BOUGHT A EXCAL :D I USE EXCAL BONECRUSHERS :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
vocajac

Post by vocajac »

I shot my buck with a rage 3 blade 100 gr. it flew true and hole was impressive. But yesterday another Buddy gave me a slick trick 100 gr. to try
shot it at 20 yds dead on! usually poi changes a bit from field tips the thunderheads did out of my compound and xbow , backed up to 30 yds. dead on again! going to town tomorrow to get me some for my quiver!
i like them fixed blades :D