Questions on hunting from a blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You can sew magnets into a thin cloth and sew them onto the blind. They will hold together through the cloth.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

What I am doing now is just putting the corners on the velcre,Barely.
Or I leave the window completly down.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I have an Ameristep G30. It's 57" square. I just found one on wingsupply.com for $69.99. plus shipping. Great price.

Mike.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Jim22 wrote:Phoenix_Tom, how do you go about putting magnets on them in place of the velcro? I have the doghouse also and would like to do that when I can. The velcro is just too loud and annoying. Thanks.
You can do it like Summer said, or the lazy way like I was thinking. I'm planning on using stick on velcro that matches the Velcro in the blind. I've sourced this already at a dollar store where I also sourced the magnets. Stick the magnets in the corners and some material in between on the stick-on velcro to 'disable' the Velcro. Do this on the mesh side and on the tent side and voilà: silent pull down mesh. Just make sure the magnets are lined up in the attracting way.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Thanks for the info Sumner and Phoenix. I'm going to give that a try and see how it works.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Blinds are great for taking kids along to be a part of the hunt. I use an Ameristep Doghouse and have another blind that is similar but slightly larger. I do not use the mesh over the windows and can not see where it helps or hurts the effectiveness of the blind any. I try to position the blind so a corner points to the center of the area I expect a shot to be in. That way I can open 2 windows and have a wide area covered while keeping the interior dark.

I tried a new strategy this year - painting those 2 windows black on the exterior. The blind in the pic is positioned so any deer crossing the food plot (I was in the center of the food plot when I took the pic) will be covered from one window or the other at all times. When I'm alone I set in the far corner and wear a black jacket.

That way the blind looks the same with the windows open or closed, and so far the deer seem to pay less attention to it when I'm in it with the windows open. :wink:

One thing I highly recommend is lubricating the zippers frequently! I have to admit I'm a bit lax at it sometimes and I just had the zipper on the main door de-rail last week. :(
Once that happens it's usually ruined. I got it back on track, but I plan to replace that blind next year. I just hope it makes it through the winter. I will probably just open a window and step through it when I'm by myself, but that's not a good option when my son is with me.

I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to have him shooting at deer. I have been taking my son along for a couple years now to let him observe, and to try to impress the basics of ethical hunting on him. He has seen me kill a few deer, but he has also seen me pass on dozens of shots. I try to explain carefully, and in detail why I passed on a shot when the odds weren't favorable and/or conditions weren't right. (too far, bad angle, etc.)
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I simply cant stand hunting from a blind. I tried it today since I had no choice since its to windy and rainy to be up a tree. I just cant stand the lower line of sight. Also, I just cant get seated right. Granted you can move around and etc without being seen. But deer always seem to pick out my blind. I have a ameristep brickhouse and its very nice but I just cant stand the style of hunting. Im a 98% treestand hunter though :P

but for me it doesnt matter if its been there for 4 months or 1 day... deer always pick it out and keep their distance. I had 22 deer come out this afternoon and each knew it was there. Some didnt mind it, but they knew it was there. I brush mine in so well you would need to look very hard to see it. The Va deer are just smart lil things :P :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote:.........but for me it doesnt matter if its been there for 4 months or 1 day... deer always pick it out and keep their distance. I had 22 deer come out this afternoon and each knew it was there. Some didnt mind it, but they knew it was there. I brush mine in so well you would need to look very hard to see it. The Va deer are just smart lil things :P :lol:
CF,
I had a lot of deer react the same way before I did the paint job on the windows. They seemed to sense instantly that something was different! A few still came close enough to shoot with the Excalibur, but they were often acting nervous and edgy. The one I shot this year from the blind (a doe) came out in the food plot and had all her attention focused on the feeder area - not the blind! She watched and circled the feeder looking for danger but gave me a close shot and never suspected any danger from the blind that has been there for months.

I usually keep the blind for use on days when it is raining lightly or snowing. I think the rain (or snow) helps keep scent from dispersing. The main drawback to the blind is the limited vision from it. My vision is limited to a "cone" of a little over 90º when I use it with only the 2 windows open, but that cone of vision covers the only area with a clear shot from that location. :wink:
wabi
doghouse ninja

Post by doghouse ninja »

Galgo wrote:Here are a couple of pics of my blind and blind/stand combo hope this helps. its an Ameristep doghuse but I think when I start bringing my kids up I will move up to the outhouse or larger.

F

great job !!
gotta love them doghouses 8)
www.scentsmoker.com
cause it works !