Leupold Scopes on Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Post by Normous »

Leupold is another one of those companies offering very good customer service on their scopes, even if you are not the original purchaser. I have an eye for quality optics and if Leupold made one for crossbows it would sit on top of my 3 Excals. Right now I own four Leupold scopes,
1x4 II
3x9 II
4.5-14 III
6x20 III
If find all 4 preform higher than my expections in the field or at the range because of their crispness and clarity.

Like Pyd, I like my Lumi and have 3 trouble free ones. My wish is that Excalibur would offer a higher grade glass, 40mm+ objective, all in a compact version, lighter and shorter than the Lumi.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

enormous wrote:Right now I own four Leupold scopes ... I find all 4 preform higher than my expections in the field or at the range because of their crispness and clarity.
I only have one ... the Gold Ring variable that tops my trusty .30-'06, Ol' Death Wind ( :P :lol: :wink: ) ... and it's far brighter and clearer than my Varizone ... there's a major difference. That said, the Vari gets the job done. It is not to be compared in lower light conditions, though.

Allow me to prophesy:

I predict that with the increase of acceptance and legalization of crossbow hunting, we'll surely soon see the major quality scope manufacturers begin to offer crossbow-specific scopes.
Grizz
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I like good scopes, course "good" is a pretty relative term. I love my Zeiss Conquests and Kahles on my rifles.

I am certainly a newby with xbows with no comparison to most of you with your experience etc. But for xbow distances, if they hold up well, I don't know how you beat the two Zone scopes. Clear, great eye relief and mine seems to hold zero very well. The only thing I would change my Vari-zone for is a Lumi-zone as I think it would be better for bear hunting.

Long
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Bob ... we have no argument concerning crossbow scopes! :D

I agree that the Excal purpose-designed scopes are good for what they do, and that a dedicated rifle-scope would hardly be ideal for the task in question.

I don't have a problem with my Varizone.

I sure wouldn't want it on 'Ol Death Wind. :wink:

But, I wouldn't want my Leupold on my Exomax. 8)

I must, however, take you to task for this statement:
bstout wrote: Say good bye to easy to see crosshairs, super forgiving eye relief and fast handling. Say hello to not being able to find the crosshairs in low light and searching for good eye relief before shooting.
Now, I may not be Jack O'Conner, Bob ... but I am a competent and experienced rifleman, and I have to protest to the above! :D

Knowledgeable and experienced shooters do not "search for good eye relief" before shooting ... such fumbling about at the moment-of-truth is the mark of a neophyte! :P :lol:

Proper scope-fitting, rifle-mounting and cheek weld take care of that!

Nor is fast handling impossible with good riflescopes. I have a clear sight-picture the moment the buttstock is cradled snugly in it's pocket.

Also, as I have confessed without shame here before, I am a longtime "beanfield shooter". I have rifled many deer to death at significant distances at "light-thirty" and "dark-thirty" (as early as legal and as late as legal), using a 3.5 X 10 X 50mm Leupold Vari-X III scope. I've done a lot of it, and I must say that I have never had a problem with finding the crosshairs. Never ... no matter when and where.

No, I'm not on Leupold's payroll :P :lol: :wink: ... but so clear and crisp are those crosshairs at all distances in all legal light conditions that they always stand out in sharp relief against the game. Indeed, it would be no trick to hunt any clear night even with a partial full moon high overhead.

The only time I've ever had a problem immediately finding a clear sight picture with that scope or any other is in full bright-light, when facing the sun ... not in low-light.

Just the truth by my experience, buddy! :D

Besides, it's the day after Thanksgiving and I don't have anything else to do but sit around and be cantankerous! :P :lol: :wink: :D
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:When I could shoot a vert bow I was a single pin guy with my compound. A great big fat sight pin that was huge. The peep that was in my string was the same way (3/16" hole).
Me too ... single fat pin and huge peep. Slayed many a deer that way.

I use a multi-plex reticle in my rifle-scopes.

Tell me compromise doesn't have it's place! :D

Like I said, I think the Excal scopes are fine for their purpose ... as they should be.

And I still say good riflemen don't muck about in finding the sight-picture or the game! :P :P :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote: Unless it's standing ten feet in front of them because they're not equipped for that kind of shot.
Talk about that ...

I don't know whether y'all do it up there in the Land'O'Cheese ... but when beanfield shooting here we sometimes sit in box blinds (think the outhouse on stilts type thing, like in Texas) ... and certain of these, by their solid design, render it impossible to see stuff right below you, or within, say twenty yards of you ... depending on their height.

You've not known frustrating until you've seen one run out of a woods and into your "blind spot" ... knowing it's there but also knowing you don't have a shot! :? :oops: :evil: :P :lol:

And how do some deer materialize from within these blind spots, suddenly appearing within 25 yards or so, requiring a quick dial down to 1.5X? :?: :!:

Not to mention the ones that disappear from within these blind spots, never to be seen again? :?: :!:

Oh, they are fascinating creatures, aren't they? :P :lol:
Grizz
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Some of my rifles have Schmidt & Bender scopes mounted. They are top notch scopes. Some have Leupold. They are darned good. One has a Redfield. It's pretty good. One has a Bushnell, and it's also pretty good. One has a Tasco, and it's not all that good.

My crossbow has a Varizone. That's all it's likely ever going to have mounted. I happen to like the 10 yard markings and the adjustability for arrow speed. I like that feature enough that I don't care that the scope isn't as bright as some of my better scopes. When it's dark enough that I can't see the crosshairs or the target, it's already past legal hunting time for me.
Last edited by Hi5 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I still say Excal could leave out the 40 & 50 Yd chevon & have a super scope fer in the deep woods where i hunt.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Bob, I got a half notion to send this Leupold up to you via round trip ticket this winter. I've not had a shot I couldn't take due to the xhairs in it. The 30 and 50 have small diamonds at the juncture for easy reference.

I've taken a couple of deer, two turkey, and at least two hogs w/ it. Won't count the buff, it was so big an so close I could have arrowed it w/ no sights, lol.

If I was just going to hunt or casual target shoot, I'd still have a V-zone on my bow.

Truth be told, hunting doesn't light me up like it used to. The old knees ect remind me of their age and abuse more often these days, and my neck of the woods is real tough walking. That kinda eliminates those magical last few minutes of the day, I can't stumble around to recover in the dark and the yotes and heat have no mercy.

I still hunt some, but really I assassinate game. I have the luxury of all the time in the world coupled w/ an old benchresters penchant for perfection. I range every shot.

The Leup lets me do everything the 'zones did and then some. Life is a series of trade offs, I just don't think this scope one is as big as you think.

Wanna check 'er out? My nickel. I'll be using P&P for turkey next anyhow.
"Eze 18:21"