Hunt or live trap?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

N8tr Boy

Re: Hunt or live trap?

Post by N8tr Boy »

As a Trapper also myself and started doing some ADC, we are instructed to ask customer what is their wishes. By law if they are to be kept alive they can only be release within 1 km from where they were caught or taken to a wildlife sanctuary. Dispatching is the other option. Our hands are tied. The problem/s are several, homeowner have pets and dishes are left on porch,deck, steps, etc for pet to use but at night they are left out still with food( dishes I mean). Free meal for wildlife. The garbage is set-out the night before, again free meal. We need to rethink what we do as a society so we can live in some harmony with wildlife as we grow into THEIR home ranges. :| :|

I have been in conversation with Pyd about a problem with a "skunk" in a small town near a bakery and grocery store. We are taking it slow as it might be something else but Skunk is being blamed as they tend to "smell" :lol: :lol:

Vix
The "e-test" or drowning as some say is more humane is false. If caught doing any of the above is against the law and stiff penalties are available to anyone caught. The most humane is to shoot or dispatch via a conibear trap at the opening of your "live " trap as you release them.

Pyd
I am not sure how you are to handle you animals as you work arms length with MNR.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

roly wrote:Pyd when someone in your line of work has a live trapped animal
what are you do with it?
In this instance I had to deep fry them, the babies were too small and kept slipping through the gaps in the BBQ grill.
If they are to big, I bring them to Michigan, the original posters neighbours house, of course after tying a business card around their neck. :D

Actually, I wont get in to the details of how I deal with the animals, but I will say that I do what is best for my company, my customers and the environment. I advertise that I do humane wildlife control, and that is exactly what I do.

Here in Ontario they "request" that you do not transport animals more than a kilometer, and there is very good logic behind that, however, there is no "law", it is just a very firm recommendation.
I am a licenced agent for the MNR, as well as a licenced wildlife rehabilitator. I do not have any governing laws to tell me how to deal with animals, my licence says I can "kill, capture or harass" any species of animal that needs controlling. It's not all fun, there is a level of discomfort putting a hawk in the cross-hairs because it is stealing expensive trained pigeons, or a family dog because it is driving cows in to the next postal code.
I do what my morals tell me to do, every situation is different and every situation requires a different perspective.
To answer the question, I know how to deal with animals on individual basis to keep a good balance. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

So if we can't dispatch them here in town what can we do? Shooting them in our driveway is not an option as the SWAT teams would be at our door in no time.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

VixChix wrote:So if we can't dispatch them here in town what can we do? Shooting them in our driveway is not an option as the SWAT teams would be at our door in no time.
If it is your home, or you are a direct relative of the home owner (brother, sister, father,mother) you can do what ever you need to do to protect the property from damage. Of course, you have to keep basic firearm laws in mind, but if you decided it was best to poke it with a pin until it was dead you have absolutely every right in the world to do so.
I don't have an opinion on the "E-test" technique, but if it stops the thousands of dollars of damage that can, and will happen, go for it. Bullets are faster, but do what you need to do.
I have seen far less humane "home brew" techniques used very effectively.
"Illegal" is body gripping traps and poison.
No doubt you two know exactly how to deal with them. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Live traps are fine if followed by a 22 cal slug to the ear.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Fortunately we don't have the problem with squirrel in our storages. Possums, coons, that venture into our backyard are usually quickly dispatched by our dear old Airedale. :D Last night, however, Tim was woken up by a coon who had tipped over the garbage to get at what was left of the turkey. He was very tempted to drag out his xbow.... :twisted:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

I trap critters in the most Southwestern city in Canada!

Folks think "al" animals are pretty little things" until" they destroy thier space.

They call ; I attend to removing thier headache- and respond - yes I will release this varmit to a nice compatable area where it will find solice.

And yes once it has been dispatched and nicely wrapped for freezing, it will be ready for the renderer that has provided a fee for it.

Time is money!

After all "we " are on the top of the food chain !

That is life and that is the way it goes.

Man is encroaching upon wildlife areas and it's the animals that suffer!

Whoever thought beavers would migrate south to Windsor?

But sill I trap dozens each year.

A well as all other species, they are over abundant.

oneshot.......
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !