Rust on the Excal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Rust on the Excal

Post by sumner4991 »

j.krug wrote:
See4miles wrote:Yes, actually it will, but the aluminum on Excal's aluminum's parts are anodized I believe, and that should prevent any reactions. Also, zinc-coated steel screws would work fine too.
If the holes are drilled and tapped after anodizing then there may still be an issue with the two metals reacting. Also I believe that stainless steel screws have less tensile strength (weaker) which could lead to the screw possibly stretching if used in high stress areas like the limb bolts and possibly riser bolts. Something to check out before making the switch to stainless.
Dang . . .wish I had known that. I just replaced the stock screws with stainless when I put on the wood stock. I saved the old screws, I can switch back. What type of reaction will I get?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

It's called galvanic reaction. The aluminum slowly corrodes away.
Using Anti seize on the threads will create a bit of a barrier and help, but may not totally prevent it.
The situation can be worse if water, especially salt water, is added to the mix.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

j.krug, good advice and you're absolutely right on the tapped holes! I guess I'd say the zinc coated screws are the way to roll for this situation.

I'm going to swap-out all my fasteners this winter, after hunting season is over. I love to hunt in the rain and although I'm very thorough in drying and cleaning after the hunt, I still would rather not have to worry so much about this issue.
In the Wind.......