broken string = deer still walking...now a BROKEN LIMB???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Re: broken string = deer still walking...now a BROKEN LIMB??

Post by Cossack »

Spit happens, like a weak strand or two that were served over when it was done.
Since I make my own, I switch out the string when the serving begins to show wear, long before any of the string strands are affected. Two reserves, three at most, and the string is discarded. No sense messing with the eventuality of a string break. Had a factory string fail on the 3rd shot, makes me super cautious.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
ch312

Post by ch312 »

my bow has never been dry fired, ever.

at the shot, the arrow landed about 4ft in front of my stand. i understand this would happen after a dry fire, but i was sitting still in a treestand with no branches around me so it was 100% impossible for the arrow not to be seated properly. i always have and always will check the arrow before every shot as a result of reading bad stories about dryfires.

the serving was not separated at all and was totally tight before the shot. it only separated after the string had broken.

the only thing that makes sense is the string broke when i pulled the trigger which caused the string to skip over the arrow causing a dryfire. but, why on earth would it break if the serving was still good?
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

ch312 wrote:my bow has never been dry fired, ever.
now ya done jinxed yerself :shock: :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

bob1961 wrote:
ch312 wrote:my bow has never been dry fired, ever.
now ya done jinxed yerself :shock: :lol: ........bob

*in homers voice*

DOH! :lol:

25 shots later and she is doing totally fine with nothing damaging the serving as usual. me thinks an sts should be on my christmas list as it may have helped me out...

these deer are usually predictable so i plan on taking her tomorrow. round 2 :twisted:
ch312

Post by ch312 »

so, after 30-35 shots everything went fine. but, after my hunt on friday i noticed that the serving on this string is now frayed! no damage at all and now after it was cocked for a few hours the serving is frayed. its weird how the bow has never done this and now its fraying servings rather quickly.

i also noticed that the point of impact changed quite a bit when i shot that doe...by about 6" at 12 yards. figured it was buck fever that caused it, but i did some shooting at home and the POI changes after the bow is cocked for a bit. i'm guessing this would be caused by the one limb being screwed???

so, i guess im going to be polishing the string catch...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hard to tell by the pictures alone, but that damage looks to be cosmetic only.
If the bow is changing POI after being cocked for a while you may want to look elsewhere for the problem. If a limb was weakening to the point it changed POI over time, it would happen real fast and be real loud. I mean, if a limb were weak it would break under stress, or not change at all. A slow POI shift would mean the limb would be deteriorating under stress, and that isn't something that happens slowly.
The fractures in the pictures look like the dip, a very common thing to happen after a dry-fire, but the actual fibers run the length of the limbs, 2 different phenomenons.
Get them replaced for sure, but there should be no "slow" change in POI.
Nice Doe by the way!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Pydpiper wrote:Hard to tell by the pictures alone, but that damage looks to be cosmetic only.
If the bow is changing POI after being cocked for a while you may want to look elsewhere for the problem. If a limb was weakening to the point it changed POI over time, it would happen real fast and be real loud. I mean, if a limb were weak it would break under stress, or not change at all. A slow POI shift would mean the limb would be deteriorating under stress, and that isn't something that happens slowly.
The fractures in the pictures look like the dip, a very common thing to happen after a dry-fire, but the actual fibers run the length of the limbs, 2 different phenomenons.
Get them replaced for sure, but there should be no "slow" change in POI.
Nice Doe by the way!

thanks :D i hope to bag one of those big bucks with the shotgun next month. i just got some video of a big brute that i will likely post today. :wink:

i totally forgot about having problems with the lumizone not long ago. i was thinking about my target shooting on friday and the POI was shifting, but i was in such a rush i didnt even consider the scope. so, i'm hoping someone will check it out when i take in the limbs.