Treestands verses Groundblind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Re: Treestands verses Groundblind

Post by ninepointer »

All good replies above.

I too prefer a treestand, but only when it is effective in concealing me. I have one stand that is in a narrow tree and, once the leaves are all down, I'll bet the deer can spot me halfway across the woodlot!

After shooting a forkhorn this fall at 12 yards from the ground, I will no longer hesitate to hunt from the ground if it suits the location & conditions. For example, my favourite stand cannot be hunted in an east wind. "Plan B" in that case is a make-shift ground postion where I tuck myself back into the brush. No fancy blind recquired.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
fratri

Re: Treestands verses Groundblind

Post by fratri »

I like treestands, but almost all my bowhunting is done from the ground. I bring my little low lying seat and just place it up against a tree and sit as motionless as possible. Its amazing (with practice) how easily you can blend in and become part of the forest. The key to hunting them from the ground or treestand for that matter IMO is seeing them before they see you. Once you spot them it makes it easier for you to move when they are not looking.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri