What's The Adavantge.100gr. 125gr. 150gr. and even heavier

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: What's The Adavantge.100gr. 125gr. 150gr. and even heavi

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote: serrated edges do nothing on raw flesh that a broadhead needs to do

Bob . . .here is the web address for NAP's "The Edge" . . .

http://www.newarchery.com/publish/posts ... roids.html

According to the site . . .

"The dual action serrated blades – slices clean through hide and flesh and saws through bone".

My bread knife with the serrated edges slices through raw chicken like it'd nothing because I use a back and forth motion. If this broadhead has some back and forth movement in it's "dual action", then I suppose it's possible that it saws. However, it's the "saws through bone" part that I'm leary about. :shock: Pretty bold claim, IMO.

Just to be clear, I'm not endorcing any broadhead. I just like the looks of the thing. I always like to see the new products and their claims. Makes the off season more interesting.

If I were to try a new NAP product, then it would probably be the F.O.C. Here is it's website . . .

http://www.newarchery.com/products/1-57 ... s/foc.html

Of course, I would use it in "hyper-cut mode". :lol: It's even got the thick blades for those folks that perfer thick. I just like the wing spand. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big D

Post by Big D »

I hunt with a equinox x-bow, traditional recurves bows and love to shoot airguns. I shoot over 530 grains from both my x-bow and recurve. After lots of research and practice I believe they all shoot better with heavier arrows/pellets. I would like to list 3 reasons why.

1.better flight/accuracy
2. better penetration/ momentum
3. more quiet

The further you surpass 300 ft/sec the more errors are magnified. if i can keep my bow under 300 fps i believe it performs better. Just the same for my airguns if i can shoot a heavy pellet and keep it under a 1000 fps the accuracy improves. Most of my 47 x-bow kills have been within 20 yds in my opinion the trajectory is not affected a that distance I see no negatives only positives if shots are 30 yards and under.

GOD bless Big D
Dash

Post by Dash »

There has been some good points given so far for Lighter and Heavy broadheads.
Most of us are looking at it from our own perspective. With our own choice of bow poundage, arrow, fletching, inserts, not to mention choice of animal we're hunting. Its clear to me there is too many variables for any one persons broadhead choice to suit everyones different bow combinations.
But personally I welcome the new varieties of heavier broadheads coming on the market ! Especially for people with higher poundage bows.
As someone else said earlier, the choice of heavier broadheads are few right now. The more choice the better. :D
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i found it strange that the arrows and broadheads i got in my exocet package did not fly well at all, that was the only thing i was disapointed in my excalibur package purchase....here is a picture of arrows that came with it....

bullseye is arrow with target tip, then the two lower marked in red are yardage and bolt cutter BH....target tip i could shoot bullseyes all day, BH's i could get touching the bullseye at all....those arrows weighed in at 375 gr with alum inserts and 4" vanes....the bow was loud and vibraited hard....i went to some old 2117 alum arrows i had from my compound with 110 gr brass inserts and 2" blazers and this is what i got going on now....

4 arrows are 20, 30, 40, and 50 yds shot sitting on a milk crate with my elbows on my knee's as if i was hunting with my 550 gr arrows i now use with slick trick 125 gr mags....those tricks hit within 1" of target tips out to 50 yds, so far i have 4 deer at 10, 20, 30 and 50 yds with 4 shots....happy as a bug in a rug :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Big D:

Your 3 "reasons" are three consequences of, not three causes of, using the heavier and presumably higher FOC arrows.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Shooting from the same bow, a heavier arrow should penetrate more than a lighter arrow.

So, if you increase arrow weight, you can also increase the broadhead cut and still have tha same amount of penetration.

If you don't sacrifice too much speed by adding too much weight, and, if you don't sacrifice too much penetration by making too big a cut, that is the perfect balance.

The reason I shoot an Exomax is to have the capacity to shoot heavier arrows having the widest practical cut. Remember, it's the cut that kills, wide as possible, and deep enough to do the job.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote: Heavy bows require heavy arrows. . . . ..

Most of us realize the arrow kills by hemorrhage (cutting) and not by bludgeoning such as a bullet that must hit hard in order to do its job.
Bob . . you on meds??? There was blood flowing everywhere on the deer I've taken with my .270 with those softpoint bullets, they tore up everything. I'm certain the ultimate cause of death was blood loss. :lol:

Also, I shot the litest arrow allowed in my Exomax until I increased the size of the cutting diamenter on the broadheads. My heavy bow doesn't "require" a heavy arrow at all. It shoots great with the lite arrows. I still shoot a 408 grain arrow which is lite compared to a lot of folks here.

Do we really need to slow our bows down to cover up a flaw in the projectile? NO! Just get the right broadhead. :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big D

Post by Big D »

I would like to try that new nap F.O.C 170 grain broadhead. With that weight, my arrows would be over 600 grains increasing my foc weight from 190 grains to 260 grains. With my equinox, boo string and that kind of weight up front I could push that huge 3 inch cut through the deer no problem. With that kind of weight and cut, I might just aim for the neck and take the head off and call it the deer guillotine. LOL just kidding. Lastly I would like to say that any arrow weight set-up (min. 350) out of the excalibur line of bows will do the job on whitetails. I just prefer heavy arrows like I stated in my previous post. I hope I did not offend anybody shooting a light set-up it will work just fine; however it is not my preference.

GOD bless BIG D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I don't plan on shooting at a deer past 30 yards. Just my personal limit for ethical shots.
I can stack my arrows (2215 aluminum) in very tight groups at that range with a few different 100 grain (both fixed blade and mechanical) broadheads.
I figur as long as I keep killing deer, why change?
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

planter wrote:Face it we are not "tuning" crossbows. For those of us whose background is in compounds we think we can "tune" a crossbow.
very true with recurve xbows, only real thing you can change is brace height....now "tuning" goes into xbow arrows to get them to shoot good from each xbow........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
cevans

Post by cevans »

I shot archery target tournaments for a number of years as practice for hunting as well. We shot targets out to 90 yds in a woods at all the different targets based on diff. yardages, and at long distances vs. windage, the heavier poundage bows, with a med. weighted arrow would always have the better chance to hit a bullseye vs. too light, or too heavy. poundage, vs, speed, vs, med. weight, and a tuned vertical bow would equal as perfect a setup. With a heavier crossbow and a matched arrow, you can flatten trajectory with speed, and avoid hitting obstacles in the path of the arrow flight. If you look at your charts, your developed kentic energy, will help to get you to your target quicker, avoiding wind, and obstacles at the same time. Its true, you can accomplish all of the above if you use a lighter poundage CB with a lighter or med. weighted arrow. But look at the ft. pounds of energy the larger poundage CB's gain. look at your arrow drop as your speed decreases with a lower poundage. its true, if your only going to shoot 20 yards, then go for the heavier arrow and blow right thru them. If I can get a 50 or 60 yd shot, I still want to have the same ablility. therefore, I shoot as heavy as pull bow as I can, with a med. weight arrow, I choose as low profile broadhead as well for the longer shots. I think we are given so many choices and variables in set-ups to choose from, that the only perfect setup is the setup that benefits each person's style of hunting as well as what that person seeks as his perfect set-up to the area or type of terrain he is hunting. I once took a 20.00 bet while muley hunting many years ago with some buddies of mine that I couldn't kill a muley standing on the side of a mountain 90 yds out with a bow. I killed it, using a 90lb hoyt vertical bow, using a 2215 arrow with a 125 g. broadhead. Some say it was lucky shot. I attibute it to setup as I knew what the equipment I was using, was capable of as well as what the shooter could shoot.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.