S5 or STS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Re: S5 or STS

Post by Dereck »

I have a vixen with the curved inner edge of the riser will they fit on that model
Last edited by Dereck on Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenpoint Matrix
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

thanks for the reply.... around my area they go for around $70 and will have to be special ordered 4-6 wks :twisted:
i found some on ebay for 44.95 shipped !!!! nib item# 270740786492
but i'm leary of it not being the same as yall speak of. check it out ifin ya don't mind :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Excalibur-Crossbows ... 3f09688d3c
thanks
Last edited by gendoc on Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

So it is just the rubber that makes it a better product? Here is mine after three years of use and abuse. Identical to the day I bought it.
I think it may be just a hair early to be making claims of longetivity just yet, considering the product was just introduced. While Simms labratory have been surpressing things for quite a while, they do not have any more experience than anyone else out there stopping a crossbow string.

I am not guessing when I say that there is absolutly a difference when you find your "sweet spot", I can change my brace height a bit in either direction and follow it with the bumpers, and have felt difference in vibration.
Oddly, I remember having this same conversation when you said the STS is the best product out there.
I think in order to make a fair comparison you need to have all three products on hand, the NGSS is far from complex, mine has been on for years, never needed any attention and still allows me to experiment, and experiment I have.
I do however like the looks of the rounded S5 better.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

gendoc wrote:thanks for the reply.... around my area they go for around $70 and will have to be special ordered 4-6 wks :twisted:
but i'm leary of it not being the same as yall speak of. check it out ifin ya don't mind :wink:

thanks
The seller is David Wilkins. He's an extremely honest and reliable seller.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

that is outstanding info Boo.... bought the s5 and some arrows about 5 minutes ago, talked with him on the phone... and he is very helpful. added him to my sellers list. will deal with him in the future.
and thank you boo, for the info !!!! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

S5 installed on the Equinox friday, there is a noticable difference in sound. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Dash

Post by Dash »

How many shots are you guys getting out of the S5 Rubbers ?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Have shot over 100 shots on this set turned 30 degrees and still going strong
Tenpoint Matrix
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

hey, yall needta get me up on this "brace height" thing.......
correct me ifin i'm wrong !!!
from the owners manual, in the maintenance section. #5 states that these lines are a guide to brace height.
and it continues on to say....it is acceptable for the string to sit above the top line when a new string is installed.
as it will stretch with use............

my vortex is brand-new maybe 25-30 shots and the string is in the center of the marks, and has been since i put'er into life.

what is the answer to dons (boo strings) question of brace height from the order form for my vortex ????? middle ???? that was my answer !!!
any help is greatly appreciated.......thank you !!!!!!!!!!

btw... i have owned 2 other excals for many years and never had to get technical wif'um until now
cud it be that since givin my others to my son and grandson... i still want to out shoot them
for the hell of it !!!!!!!!!! i think so :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

Dereck

Post by Dereck »

The issue is with the s5 installed is that you are limited to how low you can set your brace height.
If your Vortex is shooting well at the said brace height continue to go with it.
You could play around with a chronogragh and find the "sweet spot" that gives you the most velocity out of the string.Which would be lower on the rail than the s5 would allow but for most it is not a concern as you well know these bows throw the arrows pretty good even without the brace height at the sweet spot..
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

The "sweet spot" is a commonly misunderstood term. With any bow that uses limbs only (long bow or recurve bow or crossbow) the "sweet spot" is the brace height that gives you the least amount of vibration or shock. So this is what you do if you are looking for a "sweet spot". Starting at the highest recommended brace height shoot the bow and pay attention to noise, shock and accuracy. Slowly lower the brace height one twist at a time until you notice an increase in shock and vibration and you'll notice a slight decrease in accuracy. Then raise the brace height until you see the vibration and shock disappear as well as your accuracy come back. That is your "sweet spot" for your bow using that string shooting that arrow. As soon as you change one of those things your "sweet spot" changes. The sweet spot is where the limbs and the string work most harmoniously shooting a specific arrow weight. No two bows have the exact same sweet spot.
Now when you are using a string stopper there is no "sweet spot" because the string is stopped at a predetermined brace height and it also eats or converts the "dirty energy" that causes the noise and vibration. Obviously when you shoot the bow you want the release of the arrow from the string as clean as possible and that is what the S5 is designed to do and it does it very well by snubbing string vibration.
Here's a good article http://www.roguehangar.com/archery/note ... Height.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've done about about 200 shots over the last few weeks with the S5. I've noticed the rubbers have started to split now. Just curious to see if mine have gone early or if thats about what you guys are getting out of them.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Pydpiper wrote:So it is just the rubber that makes it a better product?
In short, yes it is. What's the ONLY part of the system that actually touches the string?

When I built my first "dampener system"(I never did understand where STS came from), I tried several different brace heights. The only difference I could really make note of was the speed difference. The lower the brace height, the faster the speed.

I eventually set the brace height and left it there . . .no particular reason for choosing the brace height I chose. It was just above the line closest to the riser.

I tried a couple of different rubber stoppers. The harder ones lasted longer, but, were louder. The softer ones were not as loud, but, didn't last. Simms makes a great rubber stopper that is a blend of both . . .good sound dampening and it lasts.

Just pay particular attention to your brace height after installing a new string. As it breaks in, it will start cutting into the stoppers. I keep a new string off my stoppers 1/2" until after it's broke in. I ruined a set of stoppers a few months back . . .string will blow right threw them when allowed to get too low.

On those rubber stoppers . . .do you have to push them all the way down to the post? I keep mine off the posts. I adjust the string to where I want it, then pull the stoppers out the the brace height. Just a little.

David, I like the business card idea or credit card. When I first started using the dampener system, I had the string barely touching. Now I have it backed off slightly. Using the card is a great way to make sure they are both the same.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Boo wrote:The "sweet spot" is a commonly misunderstood term. With any bow that uses limbs only (long bow or recurve bow or crossbow) the "sweet spot" is the brace height that gives you the least amount of vibration or shock. So this is what you do if you are looking for a "sweet spot". Starting at the highest recommended brace height shoot the bow and pay attention to noise, shock and accuracy. Slowly lower the brace height one twist at a time until you notice an increase in shock and vibration and you'll notice a slight decrease in accuracy. Then raise the brace height until you see the vibration and shock disappear as well as your accuracy come back. That is your "sweet spot" for your bow using that string shooting that arrow. As soon as you change one of those things your "sweet spot" changes. The sweet spot is where the limbs and the string work most harmoniously shooting a specific arrow weight. No two bows have the exact same sweet spot.
Now when you are using a string stopper there is no "sweet spot" because the string is stopped at a predetermined brace height and it also eats or converts the "dirty energy" that causes the noise and vibration. Obviously when you shoot the bow you want the release of the arrow from the string as clean as possible and that is what the S5 is designed to do and it does it very well by snubbing string vibration.
Here's a good article http://www.roguehangar.com/archery/note ... Height.htm
excellent information boo !!! thanks again :D
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

takem

Post by takem »

gendoc wrote:thanks for the reply.... around my area they go for around $70 and will have to be special ordered 4-6 wks :twisted:

thanks
I got them online for 31.98. shipping was around 10 but I ordered 200 dollars of stuff.