Leupold Crossbones scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

foofoo

Re: Leupold Crossbones scope

Post by foofoo »

Dash wrote:I saw moons comments on crossbow nation. I was looking forward to this leupold crossbow scope. But after moons findings I wouldn't have the confidence to get one yet. It would be good to hear a few different peoples points of view on this one.
i see moon is on a few forums. just my take... he use to work for zeiss, on the horton band wagon last year and now this year bowtech. seems to get equipment before its available to the public. his review on the Leupold crossbones scope was based on a proto type at a show. being this scope does adjusting for up to 425 fps i bet the owners of new model xbows that do 350 plus will be sporting these scopes for sure. i will play with mine when i get it and let you know the scoop :wink:
Last edited by foofoo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

OK, I know nothing about this "xb30" scope; may I have some information on this scope and where to find one? love trying new things; thank you.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

just mounted my hawke love it, use the software dload to get it like deadly precision accurate, well made scope worth every penny , you can go to hawke optics i believe and oder one right online, looked at new leopuold too this hawke is superior by far
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I was fairly content with my Varizone, until I peeked through a Hawke:

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/crossbow/ ... sights.php

I much prefer the more precise-feeling crosshairs to the somewhat ambiguous deltas of the Vari. I was wishing I had xhairs on Sunday at 3D.

Last year I also had a look at Ken/UncleFester's Vortex xbow scope and was impressed:

http://vortexcanada.net/products/rifles ... w_ill.html
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

so far the hawke is best ive looked thru, but in time i think myou will see better scopes and more options as more states here adopt xbow legislation the market will become bigger , as some of the demographic facets change , it comes down to what you are comfortable with, i was ok with a lumizone till i saw the hawke , and had to buy one , and im sure happy i did
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

got one today :D length and size is like a varizone . its a 2x7x33. i compared it to 2 other scopes in my back yard under cloudy conditions today. today i used the hawke map, and excalibur varizone. they just could not hold a candle as far as image and brightness. they looked yellow hazed and no where near as sharp.the reticle on the crossbones is awesome. it uses one main cross hair with 4 other lower slash marks that dont clutter the view. in comparison i had a hawke red hot with the yardage dots and they would get lost too easy on dark targets. the hawke map reticle is too busy in the lens and kinda cluttered. the lines seem too thin for my liking but still a great scope for the money.i do have a lumizone to compare it to when i get a chance. the finish is the matte black and signature gold ring on the bell. it also comes with bikini scope covers so you may not need the extra expense of flip up caps. i think the rubber stretch bikini covers will be more useful than the plastic hard caps you normally get with most scopes. the crossbones scope goes from 250fps up to 425 fps. so it will grow with the more speed crowd.from what i see there gonna sell a bunch of these. they are at the big stores for around 300$ but i found them online for under 250$.now i gotta decide which bow its goin on . :P
navybowhunter

Post by navybowhunter »

I bought one from Cabelas, and am happy with it. Hoewver Leupold has yet to add it to the product line on the website.

Few questions, anyone know what type of glass is used? I think I saw somewhere that it is equivalent to a VX-2 glass?

Is the reticle etched or is it a wire?

Thanks

Chris
navybowhunter

Post by navybowhunter »

Called Leupold, here is what I was told:

Glass is equivalent to the VX-1 line of glass....
Reticle is a wire...

on MOA, it is 1/4" MOA at 100....4 clicks will move 1 inch at 100.
Translates to 1/20th of an inch at 20 yards.
Which means, 20 clicks will move 1 inch at 20 yards...

Chris
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

navybowhunter wrote:20 clicks will move 1 inch at 20 yards...
We'll, they certainly thought that out didn't they! :(
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

The redfield 2-7x33 (which is made by Leupold) is another option,I have accu-range model works great.I use the the top and bottom of the circle as yardage markers.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

wolv1001 i have a redfield accu ring waiting to go on a muzzleloader . i compared the 2 scopes and the crossbones spacing of each yardage mark as with other crossbow scopes is more between each of the distances. im gonna guess you could squeeze a 10-20- 30 yard mark out of the redfield but after that its probably not gonna be as accurate as using the crossbones.the glass on the crossbones is very good. when i talked to Leupold they decided to use the vx1 glass cause they feel its more than good for 10-60 yard shots and to keep prices down but i think they shot themselves in the foot.last month the online prices have been 250$ to 280$. in the last week most of the online stores went to 329$. thats just ridiculous for a vx1 class scope. you could buy a redfield revolution 140$ and a optimizer dial 150$ for less.Leupolds multi reticle Grand Slam scopes for muzzleloaders and shotguns are a little over 200$. glad i got 2 of them but i wont buy another at that price.
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

yep, you nailed it more or less,I shoot the old brown vixen so 30yrds is about all she's gonna give you on live game. The redfield is a great scope for the money,a buddy of mine has the 4 plex model he uses his aim point where there the reticle goes from small to large which also gives him three aiming points and more range than the accu-range.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I own an XB30 as well as a few MAPs. My own personal opinion is that they are highly over rated. I use Leupolds VXIIIs or 4200s on my go to hunting bows and if I were to shoot 3D I would use the Varizone without question.
I will hopefully playing with the Twilight in the near future. In talking to Bill I expect a lot from it. I'll take Bill's word over anyone's in a heartbeat. He is after all why we are all here. :D
Zero comment on Moon.

Edit to add; The XB30 is certainly the best they have to offer. I think for the money a much better scope can be had.
I bought several of their rings and quite a few of the allen screws stripped where they receive the allen key (nice mounts otherwise). The material used is way too soft and out of specs. This may or may not be corrected now.
If anyone wants I can bring my XB30 to Boostock and you can decide for yourself and make comment.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Boo wrote:I own an XB30 as well as a few MAPs. My own personal opinion is that they are highly over rated.
roger-that !!! my son had one on his scorpyd 165 and it was ok i guess.
then just for the hellavit he put that barska 3x32 ir 3-dot with cross-hairs on it to see if it worked.... and he said " i think this $49 barska has better optics and stability than that xb30.. i have 2 of the tenpoint 3x proviews which is made by barska and is the same scope. it does perform very well.
i got my first one from "aging" for my vortex... i like it so much i hada hava anuther for my jackal.
my son changed it out for a different over-rated one.. can't remember tha name.... bennet somethin. i think :wink:
its his money !!! and he needed it them !!!! :lol:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day. mate dash in australia is using a leupold shotgun scope on his ibex with great success. he beat me last week in the state titles 1107 to 1104 out of a possible 1200 score, sorry l no its got nothing to do with your scope you were talking about but l thought l'd add my 2 bobs worth..
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..