Redemption... I think. ??? First crossbow deer. Got her!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gewehrhund

Re: Redemption... I think. ??? First crossbow deer. Got h

Post by Gewehrhund »

For meat you can't beat a deer that size. You can take out the tenderloins rinse them off and just fry em up!!! That is one nasty hole!!!!
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congrats.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your bow.
Maybe your arrows but not your bow.

I get the assumption that you think that if you aim at a deer broadside...lets say for the heart that you will hit the heart.
A deer will almost always duck the shot. My aiming point is just above the heart. I actually aim to blow the top of the heart off.

Of the several deer I killed aiming for the top of the heart, I have never hit that spot.
They are either dead center double lungers or spine shots. All shots are 20 yards or less.

My bow is an Exocet 200 with GT lazer II's front brass inserts with 100 grain slick tricks.
Scope is varizone with main cross hairs set at 20 yards.
Remember, always aim a little lower, if the deer doesn't duck then you hit the top of the heart and lungs, if it does then you still have a kill shot.

There's one thing I've learned shooting at game with archery...you never know where the arrow is going to hit.

Years ago I had an Exomax shooting the the same GT lazer II's that I shoot with my exocet 200.
I had a doe at 18 yards perfectly broad side.
I aimed center of the lung area. Believe it or not the deer ducked the arrow.
When I climbed down there was no blood and no arrow.
Went back the next morning and found my arrow buried to the fletching with no blood.

I had a batch of 6 Gt lazer II's and 2 were not grouping like the rest.
What I did was screwed in a field point and heated the field tip with a propane torch. They are usually epoxied but the heat will loosen them (do not heat the shaft).

Once removed I cleaned the insert and inside of the arrow and use hot glue to glue in the insert.

What I do is put a little glue on the insert and once inserted heat the field tip and spin the insert so the glue spreads evenly. I keep a field point on when doing this so I can spin with pliers.
This fixed one of the arrows but for the other one I had to also refletch.
Both are good now.

Good luck.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations on the deer! The yearlings are the best meat going.

no way the deer is reacting to the noise of the bow at 16 yards. Its reacting from something else if at all, perhaps your moving before or during the shot. perhaps it decided to take a step just as you pulled the trigger and you caught it mid stride?? a b/head opening? So many things it may be but i would be very surprised if it was noise at that range.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

congrats on the doe..best eatin there is right there..have you tried aluminum arrows, my exocet really likes 2219,s for close grouping better than firebolts or gt,s..just a thought
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

rayman wrote:Well, now you can try to get another gag trip in before the season goes out again. :wink:
Not sure about all that. We'll see, though
just now got boat back in the water, so maybe. I do think we're going to go wear out some black snapper after work one nigh this week. Buddy of mine just dove a real nearshore spot and said it was loaded with monsters... like 5+ lbers
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

Sometimes I'm so excited about shooting a deer and being that close to one that the crosshairs are moving all over the place. I have had clean misses because of it, check the sights and they are dead on. Not saying that's what happened, but it has happened to me. With a deer on the ground I wouldn't beat my head too much, obviously more went right than wrong.
John
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
masboy

Post by masboy »

congrats! your 1 for 2 I,m 1 for 6 found out I shooting over everything had a Birdseye veiw and watched it at 20 yds.done all I Know too do . s5, lighter arrows, fastflite string and shoot for heart. will fine out soon!!
rayman

Post by rayman »

Panhandler80 wrote:I do think we're going to go wear out some black snapper after work one nigh this week. Buddy of mine just dove a real nearshore spot and said it was loaded with monsters
Only black snapper I've ever caught was out of PC. Normally go out of Steinhatchee due to proximity. Never even heard of anyone catching one out of there. Have a good red American snapper number but what good is that? A buddy has a good mangrove spot, but it's a little out of my range. Red grouper and sea bass are pretty much it. Not complaining though. Life is good. :)

I know how good it feels to recover a deer after loosing one too. Plenty of experience in that area.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats!
Crispy
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on your doe...man that's a big ole hole in that deer! :shock:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer hard earned nice deer
Half Bubble Off BD360