Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Xbowkiller

Re: Bowfishing crossbow

Post by Xbowkiller »

Nice Sounds like fun
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Im sure I could have a bow built by summer (not to be confused with having a bow built by Sumner :D ), keep us informed Kevin. I have a boat with a few extra seats.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Got a righty company bow built for you piper, bring up the family for a weekend and we can out out anytime when season opens, :) :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Im in!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pydpiper wrote:Im in!
Be warned, sport is highly addicting. Never has so much fun shooting a bow, 30 to 40 times and hour at moving targets. It's a blast! Even the geese know me now, I have to troll around them because they no longer move out of the way for me. LOL
maple

Post by maple »

Sorry to rain on your parade Wheelie, but as I recall, crossbows are not allowed for fishing.

The regs state:
Non-angling methods of capturing fish....
Bow and arrow: includes all longbows.

Now, I might be wrong on this, but I urge you to check it out. Just sayin thats all.

Maple
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

maple wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade Wheelie, but as I recall, crossbows are not allowed for fishing.
Not raining on my parade. :) :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Spent a good part of yesterday checking out bow-fishing kits on line as well as a few stores. Seems to be a pretty good spread in price, as I was expecting.
The shops seem to have kits that only have one arrow, is that normal? I mean, do you lose these things at all?
WMU 91
Boo string
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

i originally bought 3 arrows and im still on my first. I've been lucky that i have been able to pull it out of all the stumps i've hit so far. I also bought a half dozen tips to be able to replace on the go if i hit a rock and resharpen them when i get home. When i started out i used just a hand wound type reel but now use the ams retriever. Spend the money right off the start because i'm sure you will be addicted once you start into it.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pydpiper wrote:The shops seem to have kits that only have one arrow, is that normal? I mean, do you lose these things at all?
I like spinners but I do have a retriever mounted on a right hand bow.. retrivers are more goof proof than a spinner. I also bought 3 arrows a few years ago then bought 2 more off this site and still have them all. But no need to worry about losing arrows, Most times you can see bottom And you don't have to go in over your navels. But the water is warm. Left one in the water for 3 days once and it ticked me off more everyday looking at it till I said the heck with it and jumped in with my cloths on. LOL Everytime and arrow broke off was human error.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Looks like I am going to get in to this sport..
Getting ready to order an AMS Pro, and I have some questions.
I don't want to start asking these questions on a bowfishing forum (thanks for the link wheelie), I hate being the guy with total noob questions, so I'll count on you guys to bring me up a notch on the lingo of bow fishing.
The AMS comes with 200# line, is that a normal number? Seems a bit heavy to me.
There is also a choice of arrows, Muzzy quick release and Sure shot penetrator. Those to terms are foreign to me, do I care about the difference? I would hate to order something made for gators when I needed one for fish..
I am oddly intrigued by how much fun this looks like it is going to be. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pydpiper wrote:Looks like I am going to get in to this sport..
Getting ready to order an AMS Pro, and I have some questions.
I don't want to start asking these questions on a bowfishing forum (thanks for the link wheelie), I hate being the guy with total noob questions, so I'll count on you guys to bring me up a notch on the lingo of bow fishing.
The AMS comes with 200# line, is that a normal number? Seems a bit heavy to me.
There is also a choice of arrows, Muzzy quick release and Sure shot penetrator. Those to terms are foreign to me, do I care about the difference? I would hate to order something made for gators when I needed one for fish..
I am oddly intrigued by how much fun this looks like it is going to be. :D
Yes you want 200lbs line. Don't want it to break off. I use a few different points but muzzy carp point are good. All bowfishing points work. Can aways try some different ones down the road. Then you need the 3D Reinhart target like me that you sink in the water for practise. LOL It never ends!
Acually have had it for a few years now and have never shot it. I like it to much and I just practise on real fish.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

maple wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade Wheelie, but as I recall, crossbows are not allowed for fishing.

The regs state:
Non-angling methods of capturing fish....
Bow and arrow: includes all longbows.

Now, I might be wrong on this, but I urge you to check it out. Just sayin thats all.

Maple
Check this out from 2006.

From Bill T himself

Bill T
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:38 am Post subject: Ontario Crossbowfishing Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone with the MNR in Peterborough and according to them there is NO difference between crossbows and vertical bows for bowfishing in Ontario, so they ARE legal to use. The gent there told me that they are also looking at increasing the seasons for bowfishing.
If anyone can get me names and offices of MNR employees that are spreading the rumor that it is not allowed to bowfish with crossbow I can have them set straight on this.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Everything I've read from the MNR in Ont, reads that they recognize Crossbows in the same manner as Vertical bow, Compound, and Long bow.

With that said, is it necessary to slow the crossbows down to prevent the trailing string from breaking when firing, and if so, how is this accomplished?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
maple

Post by maple »

Wheelie,

Glad to hear that crossbows ARE allowed!!!. I may try that myself. But, here's a quote from page 11 of the 2012 fishing regs. THIS confuses me.

"Seine nets may be no more than 10 m (32.8 ft.) long and 2 m (6.5 ft.) high.
Spears cannot be possessed on or within 30 m (98 ft.) of the edge of any waterbody except when fishing for carp and white sucker as described on this page.
Northern pike spearing is not allowed.
Bow and arrow: includes all longbows."

Now, if they now wish to include crossbows, why do they still indicate otherwise?

I know, I know. No staff to update the regs. Just like the current 2011 deer hunter survey where they ask for 2010 data!! No one to update the forms.

Maple