Grub?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Re: Grub?

Post by Big58cal »

Bar none (to me anyway), I would rather have fried turtle as anything. :D I've cooked 5 lbs before and ended up eating the whole plate full. :shock: It's so good your tongue will slap your brains loose! Image
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Boo wrote:Add mulies to your list. I like it much better than Whitetail!

I'm with Boo . But I don't know why sage feed mule deer is better than corn feed white-tail. it just is.
Grouse is good too! I love all the game that was mentioned [with garlic & butter] except the bear and turtle.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

For large game, bison and musk ox are tops, elk and moose next. Caribou can also be very good.

For me though, the ruffed grouse is king. The "partridge" is fantastic table fare.
A meal of "partridge" and "pickerel" in northern Ontario can't be beat for wild fare.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

Big58cal wrote:Bar none (to me anyway), I would rather have fried turtle as anything. :D I've cooked 5 lbs before and ended up eating the whole plate full. :shock: It's so good your tongue will slap your brains loose! Image
Just curious,but what type of turtle you eat?do they all pretty much taste the same?and how is it cooked?thanx
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Wow, that's a tough one. My family and I enjoy all different types of wild game. I'd have to say bear would be our favourite so far. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Nobody has mentioned frog legs? Where is Hoss on this one? Man they are awsome! And fish? Crappie fillets for me. Deep fried with hushpuppies and fried taters! It dont get better than that!
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Young squirrel especially front legs, dove breast with buttered grits and toast, country fried deer backstrap cube steak with mashed taters, fried quail, best chili I ever had was made with elk, bluegill fillets. Thank God I'm a country boy!!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

tat4life wrote:Just curious,but what type of turtle you eat?do they all pretty much taste the same?and how is it cooked?thanx
Just a regular common snapping turtle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

I've had snapping turtles and soft-shell turtles, but prefer the snappers. The soft shell is a darker meat and has a stronger taste to me. As for cooking it, just roll it in seasoned flour and fry in peanut oil. Peanut oil has a higher scorching point than regular vegetable oil, so you won't get that burnt tastes. :wink:

wabi

Post by wabi »

Most game & fish is good IF handled & cooked properly.
I've had elk & whitetail that wasn't fit to eat, but it wasn't the critters fault, it was handled improperly.
Those meats like elk, bison, bear, and moose are a rarity around here, but most that I've tried has been excellent eating.
We eat a lot of venison and a few seasonal treats like fresh fish (catfish is probably my favorite), morel mushrooms, wild leeks, frog legs, turtle, squirrel, rabbit, duck, pheasant, and grouse are always welcome.
wabi
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Big58cal wrote:
tat4life wrote:Just curious,but what type of turtle you eat?do they all pretty much taste the same?and how is it cooked?thanx
Just a regular common snapping turtle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

I've had snapping turtles and soft-shell turtles, but prefer the snappers. The soft shell is a darker meat and has a stronger taste to me. As for cooking it, just roll it in seasoned flour and fry in peanut oil. Peanut oil has a higher scorching point than regular vegetable oil, so you won't get that burnt tastes. :wink:
I to have trapped snappers and they are very good eats. Big58cal you don't pressure cook or par boil before frying?
maple

Post by maple »

AAHhhhh!!!! Food :D :D One of life's daily pleasures.

Whitetail venison graces my tale more than other meat, and I love it. I try to take a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yr old buck early in the season in order to ensure the freezer is stocked. Don't care for big antlers much. Hard to chew. Didn't rave about bear, I found it to be quite rich. Snappers and beaver are good from time to time.

Other than that, perch fillets, walleye, and trout I love this time of year. Still have a couple of geese in the freezer, but I think I'll just fry up the breasts.

Wild leeks, oyster mushrooms, morels, fiddleheads, wild asparagus and maple syrup are all due in the approaching spring. They are best fresh.

Come summer, I'm after clams, cod, trout, mackeral, flounder, and arsters. Then fields and fields of wild blueberries.

After that, it's back to chasing venison again.

Still have a piece of muktuk in the freezer, but it's pretty old now. That's an aquired taste for sure.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

shaftthrower wrote:I to have trapped snappers and they are very good eats. Big58cal you don't pressure cook or par boil before frying?
Nope. The bigger pieces I'll cut down to managable sizes. I fry it slow, at around 175-200 degrees. That's usually enough to tender it up. Pressure cooking and par boiling, you loose alot of the flavor. :wink:

wabi

Post by wabi »

Got something new to try today. :D

Installed a new bathroom sink for my friend's daughter (he processes deer & game and she makes all the jerky/sausage/bologna for his shop). Brought home some sheep bologna. Not sure what kind of sheep (it came from one of those high-fence preserves that has exotics), but I'll find out if I like it as soon as it thaws. :lol: :lol:
wabi
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

All right, here we go, another drool fest! :lol: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bommer

Post by bommer »

Moose and elk are both very good, Hey Bullzeye , I am looking for a good recipe for moose jerky, how about sharing. Thanks John