Hiking with a cocked bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: Hiking with a cocked bow

Post by DuckHunt »

rayman wrote:I cock the bow just before leaving the truck and wait to put a bolt in until settled in the stand. Take the bolt back out before coming down and uncock the bow at the truck.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Your bow - your choice.
But....................
I used to cock the bow & load an arrow when I headed into the woods. One day I cocked & loaded the bow, put the safety ON and started my walk to the stand. A shot opportunity came up before I reached the stand (squirrel if I remember right) and I swung the bow to my shoulder (carrying it with the sling). Went to ease the safety OFF - and it was already OFF!
I'm 99.9% sure I had put the safety ON - that is a habit I had well ingrained in my shooting sequence by that point in my hunting/shooting routine by that point in my crossbow use by then.

I figured the safety had been moved to OFF by small limbs on my walk through some brushy trails I had followed.

I decided right then that the rope cocker on the string was a much safer way to carry the bow. If I don't have the time to cock the bow and load an arrow it probably isn't a great shot opportunity anyway. I can't remember ever missing a good shot opportunity using the "ready to cock" system since I started using it!
By good I mean the critter is stationary and relaxed. :wink:
I've had a few nervous critters escape having an arrow sent their direction, but I can't say I would have shot at them even if the bow had been cocked and an arrow loaded. I usually pass those risky shots these days.

If you do carry the bow cocked & loaded I would highly recommend the rubber band to hole the safety ON method Vix suggested. I'm just guessing, but I figure if the bow were slung over your shoulder the string up you back if it did fire would be unpleasant, and an arrow launched straight up will fall straight down (near where you're standing). :shock:
wabi
joe171

Post by joe171 »

I would let common sense be your guide err on the side of caution JMO
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

wheelie wrote:Maybe I am missing the boat completely but is hiking with a crossbow not called hunting? LOL
It's not called hunting until legal at 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset.
The rest of the hours during darkness I call it hiking and the bow must be encased.
This would be here in Ontario as other jurisdictions may have other rules.
:mrgreen:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

I am long armed and legged so I cock bow after I climb up and get settled in !! Let bow down with pull up rope and then take bolt out and let down with cocking rope ,, may be sometimes I have punched a vinson so I do not have to let it down ... Just retrive back strap ......
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

wabi wrote:Your bow - your choice.
But....................
I used to cock the bow & load an arrow when I headed into the woods. One day I cocked & loaded the bow, put the safety ON and started my walk to the stand. A shot opportunity came up before I reached the stand (squirrel if I remember right) and I swung the bow to my shoulder (carrying it with the sling). Went to ease the safety OFF - and it was already OFF!
I'm 99.9% sure I had put the safety ON - that is a habit I had well ingrained in my shooting sequence by that point in my hunting/shooting routine by that point in my crossbow use by then.

I figured the safety had been moved to OFF by small limbs on my walk through some brushy trails I had followe

I decided right then that the rope cocker on the string was a much safer way to carry the bow. If I don't have the time to cock the bow and load an arrow it probably isn't a great shot opportunity anyway. I can't remember ever missing a good shot opportunity using the "ready to cock" system since I started using it!
By good I mean the critter is stationary and relaxed. :wink:
I've had a few nervous critters escape having an arrow sent their direction, but I can't say I would have shot at them even if the bow had been cocked and an arrow loaded. I usually pass those risky shots these days.

If you do carry the bow cocked & loaded I would highly recommend the rubber band to hole the safety ON method Vix suggested. I'm just guessing, but I figure if the bow were slung over your shoulder the string up you back if it did fire would be unpleasant, and an arrow launched straight up will fall straight down (near where you're standing). :shock:
GOOD SAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

since most of my hunting is stalking while i'm walking to my spot to hunt, it's locked and loaded....since my brain surgery back in 06 i can't use tree stands any more so i'm a ground hunter now....i have a cabela's ground blind but no place to set it up to leave it so i don't lose it....so pretty much i sit where it looks good with deer sign/trails :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

I like Vix's idea of the rubber band. I cock my crossbow when I get to my blind. I am over 70 years old now, been hunting since I was 16. Shot a lot of game, but now I need all the help I can get. use a ground blind and a game cart and sometimes my hunting partner, who is young than me.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
bayman1975

Post by bayman1975 »

Since walking in is pretty much out for me now, and so is climbing trees, I'll be cocking mine when I reach my blind. My Rincon will transport me to the area I want to hunt, and my bow has to be cased for the ride in and out. By law, I have to hunt within sight of, and no more than 100 yards from, my ATV. So, once I'm situated where I plan on hunting, the bow is cocked and locked, ready to rock.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.