alum arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: alum arrows

Post by bob1961 »

after ever deer i shoot with my alum arrows....it gets put on my arrow spinner to see if there is any bit of a slight bend in it before i ever shoot that arrow again....alum arrows in my mind are more durable, as i have used one arrow to go through 4 deer before it got bent :wink: ....even when i was shooting by compound bow at target leagues i spun my arrows after each shot while i was there....hold the point in palm of my cupped hand and the fletched end i had in the V between thumb and fore finger nail and just gave the vanes a puff of air to get arrow spinning....you would not believe just the tinyest bend was easily seen........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

raphunter wrote:This might be a dumb question but why are all you guys still using aluminum shafts when you can get carbon for about the same price and they are more durable than aluminum.
My experience with carbons is limited, but I found aluminums are much better performers. Seems like the "odd" carbon(s) that just won't group with the rest show up in every package. I've read plenty of threads where one or two out of 6 just won't shoot to the same place.
I also have had a couple carbons break in the quiver :shock: (got to my stand one evening and had 2 broken ones (fletch end) in my hip quiver - I hadn't fallen, just walked through some brush.), and had one break on a deer.
Like Bob I've killed several deer with the same aluminum, and still have 6 of the 12 2215s I made up 4 or 5 years ago. Two of the arrows were bent on deer kills (after going through) and the other 4 were casualties of poor marksmanship. :lol:
wabi
fredbeer

Post by fredbeer »

As a side note, the 20" crossbow arrow is a lot shorter than a compound arrow. It is alot stiffer and less prone to bending. Always spin test an arrow with b/head attached.
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

It's been said before but I will say it again: carbon
arrows can warp or bend. Sometime back I posted
a picture of one that did. But to each his or her
own. As far as I know the straightest arrow
available is the XX78 superslam. Buying bare
shafts and making your own arrows keeps them at
a reasonable price.