As a woman, could I span the Matrix 380?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IH8ATTN

Re: As a woman, could I span the Matrix 380?

Post by IH8ATTN »

Back to the topic from what I can see i'd say go for it, I think you can cock it, as for a ghetto home test maybe try some of those bungee cords (the black rubber ones though) and try pulling that under your foot. But in all reality you should be able to cock it, its better than the Equinox as it cocks less shorter than that.
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

Until my previous post, I was never talking to you. You really should stop obsessing over my viewpoint on guns. I really do not have an interest in you or your viewpoint. There is no reason for you to be so interested in mine.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

LOL I can pull on a bungee cord but the 380 has a pretty high draw weight, but I've heard it doesn't feel like anything near 260 lbs which is why I'm asking.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Calcobrena,

call Danny Miller, USA warranty rep in Sardis, Oh at [740] 483-2312 and explain your concerns to him. He'll probably offer to send you what ever you can cock in descending order. I'm not sure of his stock at present...
"Eze 18:21"
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

Yea it doesn't feel like 260lb with a cocking aid, but if you don't have that make sure you go to the bathroom before trying it without one :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

TPM wrote:
And if they were gone, it's a happier world for everyone.
No, it would be a happier world for the anti-gun crowd.
It certainly would be a happier world for the armed criminals!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I simply do not believe a gun that fires projectiles through the use of an explosive powder should ever be turned on a human being for any reason ever.

I find yer view to be very Liberal & because yer in this country yer allowed to make it public fer the World to see also yer lifestyle. The reason you have this right ! Is because so many many yrs ago my 5th G'Pa and thousands like him took up their personal Firearms & killed those whom had kept us as enslaved subjects. Since then we have fought wars to keep our Rights as Free ppl. & not subjects to Tyranny. So lets refrain from the continued anti-firearms. Lets learn to shoot & own crossbows to which you prefer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

I find yer view to be very Liberal & because yer in this country yer allowed to make it public fer the World to see also yer lifestyle. The reason you have this right ! Is because so many many yrs ago my 5th G'Pa and thousands like him took up their personal Firearms & killed those whom had kept us as enslaved subjects. Since then we have fought wars to keep our Rights as Free ppl. & not subjects to Tyranny. So lets refrain from the continued anti-firearms. Lets learn to shoot & own crossbows to which you prefer
We all have those relatives somewhere down the line, but we're still slaves--I promise.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

IH8ATTN wrote:Yea it doesn't feel like 260lb with a cocking aid, but if you don't have that make sure you go to the bathroom before trying it without one :lol:
Well of course I'm going to use a cocking aide, but what would be the expected amount of weight I should be able to lift to be able to do it with a cocking aide?
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

130 lbs usin rope cocker
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Tom

Post by Tom »

Calcobrena, I am old school when it comes to crossbows. I cock every crossbow I shoot (unless it is a friends and he/she uses a cocker) by hand. It is a method I learned earily on because back then there was no cocking aids to help, you either did it corretly or you did not :lol:.

With this newer model, they are shorter which making cocking them easier. When you cock by hand, most of your strength comes from your legs and the last little bit comes from your arms, but with them being shorter, that last little bit which you needed your arms, is much shorter. How much you will actually need to use your arms will vary from person to person. BUt when you use a rope cocker, it will cut the strength need by 50%.

TO answer your question as to if you can cock the bow or not is very difficult to say. My dad hand cocked his exomag well into his late 70's, I believe that he was 78 before he got a rope cocker to help him. Now I have read reports on here where some healthy males in their 30's and 40's could not hand cock their 200 lb bow. It is mostly technique, but some is strength.

I would also advise you to follow Awshucks advice and contact Dan Miller. He will be able to best help you out.

Good luck.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Calcobrena wrote:
Well of course I'm going to use a cocking aide, but what would be the expected amount of weight I should be able to lift to be able to do it with a cocking aide?
It's a progressive increase of draw weight, as you come up, the draw will come to it's maximum, typically this is where most fail, because you can only use your arms to pull at the top of the draw. You will have an advantage being 5'9", so you will be able to pull with your body until the the top, but you may benefit with the Matrix's shorter draw. If you have access to a gym, go to the cable pull and see if you're able to lift 130# upward to your shoulders, this should give you an indication. I would strongly suggest trying one at the store first to be sure.
Last edited by taz3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
taz3

Post by taz3 »

deleted
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

taz3 wrote:
Calcobrena wrote:
It's a progressive increase of draw weight, as you come up, the draw will come to it's maximum, typically this is where most fail, because you can only use your arms to pull at the top of the draw. You will have an advantage being 5'9", so you will be able to pull with your body until the the top, but you may benefit with the Matrix's shorter draw. If you have access to a gym, go to the cable pull and see if you're able to lift 130# upward to your shoulders, this should give you an indication. I would strongly suggest trying one at the store first to be sure.
I actually do have access to a gym at my college but I don't know if they have that machine. I can check tomorrow, though. At 5'9" how far do you think I should be able to pull the weights up (in inches) to complete the cocking motion for a 380?

I am fairly confident I have the leg strength for most of it. I'm just worried about how much I'll need to rely on my arms which are toned from aerobics, but certainly not super strong.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

My constructive opinion:
Given an average female of the height and weight you posted I would fear the leg which you had in the stirrup would probably have the knee unlock and the butt could well pop you in the chops as the #380 rebounds upward... :(