?speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: ?speed?

Post by vixenmaster »

Boy hidy this be getting into tech stuff indeed. 486 gr arrow & say 320 fps out of yer E'max will give you 110 ke. Wid that amount of energy even if'en you hit the gristle pad in & out it will be a pass-through
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

My dad always told me it ain't what ya shoot em with, it's where ya hit em son :mrgreen:

I know, faster is better, but it's the kinetic energy that does the real work.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

http://www.eastonarchery.com/store/kinetic_calculator

This is for those who don't have the link, hope it helps.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Bronzeback

Post by Bronzeback »

Pretty Simple Calculation....

Arrow Speed x Arrow Speed x Arrow Weight / 450240

My Matrix 380 as an example:

362 x 362 x 384 /450240 = 111.76
taz3

Post by taz3 »

What is the general consensus on minimum amount of KE required for larger game like, deer, moose, hogs etc...?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Maybe I said a lot of this wrong
What I was getting at
We have a lot of people here worrying about speed not as much on kinetic energy.
With what I am hunt I want 100 + lbs
but if I have to drop 5 - 10 ft per sec to increase ke I will
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
taz3

Post by taz3 »

kd8jgu wrote:Maybe I said a lot of this wrong
What I was getting at
We have a lot of people here worrying about speed not as much on kinetic energy.
Who cares?LOL! :roll: :lol:

It brings excellent awareness, that is very easily overlooked. I'm glad you brought it up, I'm sure a few are being schooled. :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

taz3 wrote:What is the general consensus on minimum amount of KE required for larger game like, deer, moose, hogs etc...?
For deer and hogs I think it's 25-40. Moose I think is 65+ though... 65+ will kill anything, though. And it takes like 10-15 to kill humans. Less if you put it in there right spot. We're frail :P
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Cal
I think I need to take you out on a hog hunt
The rib cage on a White tail compared to that of a muley or hog can be the difference between night and day.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Moose and deer are fairly close for toughness for outer hides and bones structures are respective to their size, compared to hogs.

A calf moose and full grown buck would be very similar in requirements or KE of an arrow to harvest.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

I couldn't really remember. All I know is my Matrix will kill all of them, LOL. But I did look it up.

25-41 deer and antelope
42-65 for elk, hog, blackbear
65+ for the big stuff like grizzly bear, cape buffalo, elephant.

Of course, with the right shot, I'm sure you can kill the bigger stuff with less KE. These are just the minimum recommendations for safety, ethics, etc.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

This speed thing has gotten way over rated. People have gotten caught up withthe idea of speed for bows...both vertical as well as horizontal.....is what's necessary to kill game. The speed of the bow doesn't make the hunter....the skills of the hunter is what makes the hunter. We were shooting bows years ago that would be pale in comparison to the standards these days, but we still took game. There wasn't all the lightening fast bows, special clothes, gadgetry, scents, etc. that there are these days....hunters still brought home game. Guess that's why I like the simplicity of the Excal crossbows. Especially love my little poop brown Vixen. She isn't fast or fancy, but she's accurate as can be when you're slinging an arrow! :wink:
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Believe or not though all animals we hunt have evolved like everything else in this advanced age we live in Deer are loosing habitat by the day and you and I both no they learn just as much about us as we learn about them The more we take habitat and condense our world and theres they are more hip to our ways They have no natural predators in the air but yet where I hunt they look up alot Its learned habits from experience just like us I agree 20 to 25 years ago we didnt worry about the things we worry about now and the speed of the bows and everything was simpler but now they are so skittish that extra 10 or 15 FPS helps tremendously because of there waryness and string jumping abilities
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I agree....the deer have evolved a great deal over the last 20-30 years, but I don't necessarly agree that the "speed" is going to make up the difference for it. Improving our hunting skills is a more important piece of this than increasing the speed we sling the arrows. For example....the deer never looked up until I started using tree stands. It only took the deer maybe 2-3 years to catch on to that. I can still remember the first doe I shot out of a ladder stand. She just stood stock still looking right at me. I don't think she had any idea that I was a threat to her. Couple years of easy hunting and then the game was up. I have 1 stand that I have trail pics of the deer rounding the corner and first thing they do is look right up the hill at that stand. I still use that stand to harvest deer from, because it's a well traveled path. It's taken a lot of trial and error to figure out how to do it without scaring deer off or having them on high alert before I take the shot. I honestly don't believe that a faster bow would make a difference. How I sit the stand and how I am prepared before the deer arrive is more key than having a faster cb. My Vixen will do the job as well if not better than my Ibex or Eclipse. The ease that I can get myself into position for the shot before the deer get to my shooting lanes is the biggest key to whether I'll be successful or not. I really believe that learning about the deer you are trying to harvest and the habitat they live in is much more important than how fast your cb will shoot the arrow. I'll get off the soapbox now, but just wanted to share my thoughts about the "speed" issue. Tx!
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

kd8jgu wrote:Maybe I said a lot of this wrong
What I was getting at
Hey kd8jgu, i understand fully what your saying. I was on a "speed quest" recently & shot many many bolts during that time. After assembling the data & studying it i was able to select an arrow setup that suits my Axiom. Altho my fastest bolt was 314fps it didn't mean anything without considering all the rest of the data.

Stock string setup:
430gr+282=75.967ft_lbs

turkey setup:shorter range
403gr+303fps=82.167ft_lbs/13.84%foc

Deer setup:longer range
430gr+295fps=83.122ft_lbs/11.81%foc

I paid great attention to the ke, my goal was 80ft_lbs
Without the data gathered i could not have found these setups, i'd just been slinging bolts. So, i enjoyed the speed but picked what my data showed would work.
Point is things aren't what they seem sometimes. lol
Good luck on your 400 pounder kd8 i hope you smack him down!
Hoagy