new hunter questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Oppie

Re: new hunter questions

Post by Oppie »

And never ever make eye contact with a deer, if you do it's game over!
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
rayman

Post by rayman »

xcaliber wrote:Walk to your spot near naked
Hey he could be on that stupid new show on Discovery Channel "Naked and Afraid." :lol:

I do that in the evenings to keep from sweating in my jacket. Not naked though. :)

Never could find a pair of rubber boots I could stand so I try to plan ahead to buy new boots just before deer season, then leave them on the front porch instead of bringing them in. Usually wear snake boots round here in bow season.

I am very meticulous about washing all hunting clothes and leaving them draped over the rocking chairs on the porch during hunting season. The wife has learned to live with it.

I take a shower pretty much each and every time I go to the stand (before hand that is) and use scent killer spray. I spray it in my hair, in and on my boots, and use it like deodorant. If i ever find out it doesn't work I'm going to be pissed.

I try to have different stands for different winds, and choose accordingly.

Hope this helps. :)
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I've been hunting in Georgia for 15 years. Don't know what part of the state that you're hunting but I would advise you to get yourself a quality pair of snake boots if you're going to be wandering around the Georgia woods in September. It only takes one mis-step to get yourself into a lot of trouble. As for treestands, I have about half a dozen. My favorite, by far, would be the SUPER MAG EXTREME sold by WWW.AUSTINTREESTANDS.COM :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Chris Dillard wrote:No Rubber Boots = No Venison
They really make all the difference in the world. I stopped getting busted in tree stands once I stopped wearing leather boots and switched to a high quality knee high rubber boot, I would recommend Muck or Lacrosse in that order :!: :!: Good luck :D
My freezer would tend to disagree with you. Like yooper-Man I never wear rubber boots BUT I also only wear my boots hunting - and absolutely NEVER EVER EVER at a gas station. I'll get out in my bars feet rather tha risk getting any petroleum products of any kind on my boots. And that would hold for rubber boots as well.

I also hunt primarily from the ground. For this I use Leafy Wear 3D camo. It works absolutely great and better than any flat camo you can buy. And it allows me to be mobile and not mess with any blinds etc. I can literally just sit down next to a bush and be good. One other perc of hunting from the ground is that you maximize the size of the target. As you get higher in a tree, the size of the "double lung" target gets smaller and smaller.

As far as other "products" I use Scent Killer soap - and take a shower before I go out. Scent Killer clothes wash and field spray (I buy it by the gallon) and also a product called UV-Killer. That made a huge difference for me.

Minimize your smell
Play the Win
Sit Sill
Be Quiet
Shoot straight
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><