Heavy bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Re: Heavy bolts?

Post by Masboy »

Put them Magnus on them heavy arrows an they mite go thru two tractor tires :lol: :lol: :lol:
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Heavy gets it done no question, this old tractor tire test shows a little something to think about, some of the favorite bh's were used, the 350gr tipped with magnus stinger showed it's stuff, the other three were 450 to 485grs and the tire destroyed the bh's, these were shot at 20 yds, like I said heavy get's it done, I have confidence in my 350gr arrows :)

Wes
Reminds me of when I put an arrow threw the back fender of my nabours pickup truck! :lol: :lol:
Drew

Post by Drew »

Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Taylmatr wrote:Thanks for the advice guys think ill grab a half doz after work Tomm and give them a shot. Hopefully it will quiet the bow down some too.
A heavier arrow will quiet the bow down. You will not have any scope issues shooting that weight arrow. Just adjust the speed ring.

I'm not too big on using "I shot XX deer with this and that and got pass throughs" as a way to compare heavy vs light arrows. The article Dayelight mentioned is from Ed Ashby who has been doing real world experiments on Asian Buffalo for like 20 yrs. The data looks compelling to me, and as such I have adopted his view of heavier arrows for better penetration. Do I shoot 650 gr arrows like he suggests? No...I am not trying to kill Asian Buffalo. But I do shoot arrows over 500gr most of the time at deer. For hogs I go up to 575gr with a 2 blade head. My reasoning is that I want that arrow to go through even on a bad shot - like if I hit the shoulder bone. Getting through 2 sets of deer ribs and some lung tissue is not that tall of an order, but you don't always get that perfect shot.

Check out these videos of a guy shooting hogs with his "deer setup" and his "hog setup" Hogs are tricky. Boars have a hugs shield - sows do not. Putting an arrow through a sow is quite different from putting an arrow through a boar - particularly if you hit the shield - which is a pretty high probability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpzDYogmnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLHO6TsxaPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Apnw6iApCg

To me these videos help to confirm Dr Ashby's data as well as to demonstrate how arrow integrity plays a vital role in penetration. Whatever arrow you choose to shoot, it should look them same after it goes through and animal - even through bone - as it did before hand. Tough broadheads like the Montec, Magnus Stinger, and SLick Trick generally fit the bill for me.

Hope this helps someone.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

After picking up a half doz Easton 2219 and shooting them on a few grouping tests I'm very pleased. I think I've settled on muzzy 4 blade 100 gr broad heads. They keep 1.5" groups out to 40 yds. That's as far as I've shot it so far. Penetration has also been very good. I don't have a chrono so any ideas of what my speeds are with this setup? Ibex factory string and a total arrow weight of 453 grains. Thanks guys
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IBEX rated at 305fps with 350gr and FFF string.

453gr-350gr = 103gr
103gr/5gr = 20.6fps loss
Endless loop string vs FF = 13 fps loss

My guess is you are somewhere around 305-20.6-13 = 271.4fps with those 453 gr arrows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Bill T wrote:Hi guys!
First off, 350 grains is fine to shoot off of our bows. Is it hard on the limbs? A bit, but then again just cocking any crossbow is hard on the limbs. Is 350 grains heavy enough for hunting? I know a whole bunch of critters who would agree that it was plenty heavy enough to start them on their way to my freezer. Remember, you can only go all the way through, once the arrow is out the other side the extra 5 or 6 footpounds that heavier arrows give is wasted.
That said, I also believe that on moose and bigger a bit heavier setup kinda increases your odds and I go that route.
Now, why the change to 150 grain Boltcutter heads, increasing mass weight of our arrows to around 410 grains? Simply because of long range accuracy improvements because of the extra FOC balance that they give. In my opinion, and my opinion is the "hammer" as far as the contents of the Right Stuff pack is concerned, giving up 10 or 12 FPS is nothing when 40 yard accuracy is at stake. We were getting complaints regarding long range accuracy over the last few years, now the complaints are over and our customers are happy.
Oh ya....we DO have 6 150 grain target points in EVERY Right Stuff pack. They are also available from every Excalibur dealer if they only bother to order some in
Sep 18, 2008 was when this post was made, and the debates still go on, oh well.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Danny Miller told me the arrow he made Bill for the elephant hunt was over 800 grains total wt.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My Ibex is shooting 273 with a 500gr total wt. 2219
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Rufus wrote:My Ibex is shooting 273 with a 500gr total wt. 2219
Assuming you have a Flemish String or equivalent, then this is another confirmation of the "5:1" rule for these bows.

IBEX = 305fps rating with 350gr and FFF string.

500-350 = 150/5 = 30

305-30 = 275fps for 500gr arrow.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

So from your equation I figure I'm shooting 267 fps with the factory string. Is it worth upgrading to a Flemish? Does this Danny miller fella you guys are always talking about have a site or anything?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Taylmatr wrote:So from your equation I figure I'm shooting 267 fps with the factory string. Is it worth upgrading to a Flemish? Does this Danny miller fella you guys are always talking about have a site or anything?

1 740 483 2312 Danny Miller, give him a call, I think his string was on the bow that won the IBO TRIPLE CROWN TOURNAMENT AND SECOND IN WORLD TOURNAMENT, I pretty sure this is right.
Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers