My Opinion on The Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yooper_man

Re: My Opinion on The Matrix 380

Post by yooper_man »

Ben,

I think the tinkering is even over the entire Excalibur crossbow lines. The Matrix line is the new craze, so it seams like its more. Plus if you don't have any issues (problems) then most people might not feel the need to upgrade or tinker.

Last year I bought my first Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone package and harvested a large adult whitetailed doe with it in October. I used everything Excalibur and she is super accurate. I used Excalibur's flemish dyna flight strings, 150gr Boltcutter broadheads and Firebolts. After the first season I discovered I needed to make some changes or must needed tinkering.

The first to go was the Shadow-Zone scope and Excalibur's scope rings were swapped out for a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun scope with Leupold Rifleman detachable low rings. The Shadow-Zone didn't have very good light gathering characteristics for my taste.

Next was the quiver mount, so I went to a Lite Munch mount and its awesome. I soon discovered Dan's (xcaliber) Custom flemish strings are a must haves which are faster than the factory flemish dyna flight. I also switched to Slick Trick 150gr Xbow Magnum broadheads which have 4 blades over Boltcutters 3 blades.

Next will be refletching my Firebolts with 2" Blazer vanes.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats Ben, come on over anytime you want to talk about hunting , shooting and 380.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Xbowkiller wrote:
Hester0305 wrote: I actually like mine better since I had the rail cut down its a lot quieter and a lot easier to cock.
Hope they don't come out with smaller ones, One hundred dollars an inch. You would just lose money. :|
Sorry xbowkiller you lost me on this one. I actually have the perfect crossbow for me after owning a couple different models. The Matrix line is here to stay and they may just offer one in the future just like the one I have now.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

What's life if ya can't tinker? ANY product is just someone's idea of what it should be like. I tinker ALL my stuff: self-made string stoppers (they're adjustable) strings, arrows, vibration reduction, stringer, arrow puller, three arrow quiver, lighted nocks...so much to mess with, so much fun. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
cspot

Post by cspot »

The guys that frequent these forums aren't your average crossbow user. I think I read somewhere that 90% of the people that buy a crossbow package never change out the accessories. Most of the people on here are in that other 10%. A lot of it isn't because the stock accessories are bad, but are just looking to improve on it a little or just having fun trying out different things.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cossack wrote:What's life if ya can't tinker? ANY product is just someone's idea of what it should be like. I tinker ALL my stuff: self-made string stoppers (they're adjustable) strings, arrows, vibration reduction, stringer, arrow puller, three arrow quiver, lighted nocks...so much to mess with, so much fun. :D
I like the way you think!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My matrix 355 was perfect right out of the box but nobody on earth can make it the way i want it , i changed so much i can't even remember it all.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

cspot wrote:The guys that frequent these forums aren't your average crossbow user. I think I read somewhere that 90% of the people that buy a crossbow package never change out the accessories. Most of the people on here are in that other 10%. A lot of it isn't because the stock accessories are bad, but are just looking to improve on it a little or just having fun trying out different things.

all of my excals were bought "bow only"...except the matrix !!
I tried to get it without the stuff but, can't get there from here :roll:
so I lost (sold or gave away) all the goodies that came with it and did the custom touch.
smoothed the trigger ever so lightly like I do my collection of H&R's.

now its boring fast and accurate !!! :shock: its ready for OCT. 25 opening if I can stand waiting any longer :cry:

I don't think i'd go cutting my rail, I like it just fine !!.....but that's me.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Hey yooper_man, I'm a big fan of the Slick Tricks too. How do the 150gr. fly for you out of the Matrix?
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Ben S. wrote:Hey yooper_man, I'm a big fan of the Slick Tricks too. How do the 150gr. fly for you out of the Matrix?
I don't have a Matrix yet, but they fly really well off my Equinox using Excalibur factory firebolts.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

The Matrix 380 I have is for me the Be All End All of crossbows! :D

I could not be any Happier with it!
That said, I am as many here, a bit of a tinkerer :lol:
It has never been shot with the factory string - actually had a couple of Boo's strings before the bow even arrived, and installed the first (still on that string after > 700 shots!!!) the day it did show.
Although the trigger was improving as I shot it more and more, I decided to go with the hunting Trigger Tech, and I am extremely Pleased with it! As fine as the finest custom triggers in my high end rifles!
For arrows I went with our Resident Expert Big John. Black Eagle Executioners pink wrapped and blazer vaned with Luminoks and brass fronts. Weighing in at 392 grains when tipped with a 125 grain Spitfire, and DEADLY Accurate!

Pretty well set up to hunt now, although I am still awaiting the arrival of a Hawke XB-30 Comp[act to give a whirl...

Fishing is pretty well done for me for the season. On to the next right shortly, and so looking forward to christening the new Matrix soon!!

Have a Safe & Successful Fall Folks!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Thanks Yooper,gonna get me some. I like the 4 blade too