Deer Knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Deer Knife

Post by nchunterkw »

I use a Buck "Zipper" It has a drop point and a gut hook. The gut hook is fabulous - and is where it gets the name. Opens them up like they have a zipper on their belly. :lol: I sharpen it to a 25 degree edge that will shave my arm at the beginning of the year using my Lansky system and only have to strop it a few times after each use. The edge seems to last me through about 4 deer. But even then it only needs minor touchup with a fine stone.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I have been using a Mora Companion. Don't let the low price fool you- they're excellent field knives. I personally like the stainless blade (they also make a high carbon blade version), and they hold an edge well enough to make it through multiple deer. They're also very easy to sharpen with a flat diamond stone due to the type of edge they put on the blade (it's called a "Scandinavian grind", or just "scandi grind" for short).

For under $15 delivered to your door, they're an amazing value.

~E
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Masboy wrote:Buck 110 mostly for me it holds a good edge an heavy enough to split the pelvic bone with some chopping.
Been packing a Buck 110 for well over 30 seasons now. It's "back-up" is another of the same, which has rode along with me for around 25 years or so. I never split the pelvis, having been taught way back when that it was unnecessary...

For everything from Deer, through Sheep, Caribou, and Moose, it has never let me down...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Dand

Post by Dand »

Bark River Knives.... Have many styles and blade materials... Made in escanaba mi... Hand made and heat treated and have 100% life time warranty.....they will fix or replace knife no matter how you you damage it. Can go to knifeforums.com and read their forum...can view and buy at...knivesshipfree.com or dlt trading.com to look at these knives and about a hundred other makers both mass produced... Buck, bench made ect to very high end knive makers..... But for my money barkriver games keeper or Canadian special or drop point hunter are ideal. You can bet your life on these knives. Made with hundreds of handle materials. Convex ground so can be sharpened to razor edge that will last. Warning.....once you get a bark river knife....you become addicted!!!!! You will not go back to any other knife once you get one. Dand
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

DaGriz wrote:Here my design for a skinning knife. Made from D-2 Stainless, heat treated to hold an edge for a long time. Everyone who has ordered one from me has had nothing but good to say about them!

I have one of these... in fact this one might be the one I have? It's GORGEOUS to look at and to hold. It holds and edge and skins like nobody's business. I love it!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Grizz makes a good knive and is a good man to do business with
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

Gerber Gator clip point no serrations. 33$
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Haven't used lots of knives but my Buck and Kershaw blades stay darn sharp and are very easy to touch up when needed. Field dressed my last buck with the buck, including splitting the sternum. When I got home and ready to start skinning and quartering I was impressed that it was still darn sharp! A few light passes on a fine diamond stone and it was skinning time.

I have used break offs in the past and they work great, but what do you do with the broken off portion? SS doesn't go away, or at least not for years or decades. I don't want to be leaving sharp slivers in the woods or in my pockets and pack for later injury by myself or others, even the animal types.

IMHO, the ability to put a fine a edge on a knife and keep it there is something to be proud of. I'm not finding fault with those who choose the other route, I just look for reasons not to add to today's throw away mentality. :wink: