405 speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: 405 speed?

Post by amythntr »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Image

We had this cool chronograph setup at the ATA show to show people what our crossbows are shooting speeds as advertised. The 405 was consistently shooting around 409 with a 100 grain tip. We did try it with a 150 grain tip and we lost about 15 fps which is still smoking. We shot the 405 about 4-500 shots over the week and it performed flawlessly. The string was starting to look a little tired but was still serviceable. If you love speed this is your crossbow!

Peter
...you sound like a marketing dude!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

That sounds fast, how many shots can a person expect to get out of a string under normal usage, and what total graing arrow combination is best for the bow without causing any unneccessary wear or damage?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Kegbelly wrote:Sorry, poor wording on my part. Do you have any trouble seeing the arrow as it flies toward the target? At 408 fps it would hit a 30 yard target in what, .22 seconds? Man that's smokin' fast, if you lost sight of the arrow say due to recoil, it would hit the target before you 'picked it up' again with your eye. Glad I explained that clearly. :lol:
At 20 yards it's difficult as you can imagine, but at 40 not at all. Keep in mind, I am not shooting the factory string. On the other hand, if you pay attention you can see a 200 gr 45 ACP bullet travel. Heck, you can see a shotgun payload.
The impulse/recoil from the 405 is not very different from the 380.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

At 53 years I must have 60 year old eyes also because crono looks like 344.6. I will have to call eye doctor in the morning for a visit. LOL
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Double post
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

It does say 344 but I think that was with a different bow. Here is a video of Drave shooting it through the chrono at 408.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9SmrbXbtuo
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

At 53 years I must have 60 year old eyes also because crono looks like 344.6.
Your eyes are perfect and yes the display does say 344.6. That was from a different crossbow, not the 405. I was just showing the setup. Drave's archery video shows the 405 being shot with the appropriate read-out.

Peter
Boo

Post by Boo »

Just tested a 401 gr Zombie with a Danny Miller Flemish string and got 379 ft/sec :shock: 5 shot string, all duplicate speeds.
Brace height was 1/4" and the string more or less settled in without shooting so expect a few more ft/sec even though the shot string showed consistent numbers. Nice! Donno what the energy is but it sounds like a Mack truck :mrgreen:
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Boo wrote:Just tested a 401 gr Zombie with a Danny Miller Flemish string and got 379 ft/sec :shock: 5 shot string, all duplicate speeds.
Brace height was 1/4" and the string more or less settled in without shooting so expect a few more ft/sec even though the shot string showed consistent numbers. Nice! Donno what the energy is but it sounds like a Mack truck :mrgreen:
Plugged it into the calculator and that is 127.9 ft-lbs
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Nice crono
Boo

Post by Boo »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
Your eyes are perfect and yes the display does say 344.6. That was from a different crossbow, not the 405. I was just showing the setup. Drave's archery video shows the 405 being shot with the appropriate read-out.

Peter
Trust me Peter. Kevin see stuff a lot different from normal people! :mrgreen: His eyes can't be perfect. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:

Peter
:oops: :wink:

Someday even Peter will understand I have a sick sense of humor. I am likely more sick than humor though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Image

We had this cool chronograph setup at the ATA show to show people what our crossbows are shooting speeds as advertised. The 405 was consistently shooting around 409 with a 100 grain tip. We did try it with a 150 grain tip and we lost about 15 fps which is still smoking. We shot the 405 about 4-500 shots over the week and it performed flawlessly. The string was starting to look a little tired but was still serviceable. If you love speed this is your crossbow!

Peter
Hi Peter, how would you describe cocking the 405? At 44, 6'0", 200lbs and in good shape is it something I could shoot in my yard for 3-4 hours? I'm certainly intrigued but wondering if it wouldn't make a better 'second' xbow?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Boo wrote:Just tested a 401 gr Zombie with a Danny Miller Flemish string and got 379 ft/sec :shock: 5 shot string, all duplicate speeds.
That is impressive, when you say "Mack truck" Don. Means a lot of road kill in them there woods, deer beware! 8)
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Species8472 wrote:
Plugged it into the calculator and that is 127.9 ft-lbs
Thanks for the info.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott