Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit SUCCESS!!"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: Almost "screwed" Need Help *edit bad news*

Post by Normous »

When you reach your goal and get it removed I suggest insurance by chasing your threads with a tap soaked in tapping fluid to clean the rust out. I see some rust in your riser/mainframe threads too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I did remove the string and froze the riser then brought it inside and applied some heat from a soldering iron to the aluminum. Absolutely would not budge. i used a brand new vice grip that had never been used before so the teeth were nice and sharp but the mouth is circular. A flat mouth would have worked better because the circular mouth made it easier for the bolt to slip out. Now here is the problem while I was working the bolt I noticed it was installed with red loctite :roll: So I may just be screwed.

When I saw the loctite \I tried applying heat from a torch direct to the bolt in order to melt or at least activate the locktite - no joy.

Im gonna sleep on it for a bit and see if i can come up with a new plan for the weekend. I might contact Excalibur as well and maybe see if I can drop it off at the factory. Would rather they do the work thank anyone else.

Keep the advice coming please it is really helping me.

PS its a little hard to type considering the only thing i accomplished was burning my fingers on a soldering iron :oops:

Think Im not the right guy for this job lol.

F
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

enormous wrote:When you reach your goal and get it removed I suggest insurance by chasing your threads with a tap soaked in tapping fluid to clean the rust out. I see some rust in your riser/mainframe threads too.

Thanks enormous thye may be red lcotite too. Boo tied to remove them a couple years ago and could not so I had not touched them. I gave it a go on them tonight and tone did budge just a touch just like the stirrup bolt did before i started tio strip it and several allen keys.

All the bolts on this thing probably need an overhaul. :cry:
taz3

Post by taz3 »

If the bolt has moved, use good vice grips and go both ways removing it, tighten some, loosen some, tighten some, loosen some and so on. Take your time and it will come out, be sure to use a lubricant while doing so, to prevent galling.

As for heat, keep ice handy and apply it to the bolt only this will also help the bolt from swelling with the heat.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Waif

Post by Waif »

Odd as it may sound I have freed up brakeline fittings on an old truck I owned by applying a little transmission fluid to fittings each day for a week.
It will remove paint and make a unwelcome guest of itself on any thing else you get it on, keep away from rubber it will soften it to much, but I have used it since with great effect on stuck metal fasteners.Being the head is broke off that area of tension should be off also. On sheared flush broken bolts we used to use a sharp center punch to tap on a corner type edge to turn,( in case it breaks again). A sharp hit/heavy tap or three with out going crazy on amount of impact, towards bottom of hole against exposed broken end of fastener can help break it loose before applying torque. Worse case it can be redrilled and tapped.
Last edited by Waif on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If worse comes to worse and red loctite was used you may as well cut if off and drill/tap two new holes in your riser and stirrup, you have enough room between the current holes, not a lot but just enough.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Once you get everything out and clean I would put a thin coat of AntiSeize on all the threads of the replacement bolts or you will be going thru the same thing again in the future....
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Just curious would penetrating oil and a couple hours soakin work :?:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

JPjunkie wrote:Just curious would penetrating oil and a couple hours soakin work :?:
Good point all I had was hoppes #9 and I let it sit or about two hours but i should probably apply it again and let it sit overnite. Thanks for that.
Normous

Post by Normous »

A two day soak is even better.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Galgo wrote:
JPjunkie wrote:Just curious would penetrating oil and a couple hours soakin work :?:
Good point all I had was hoppes #9 and I let it sit or about two hours but i should probably apply it again and let it sit overnite. Thanks for that.
I use some stuff called Kroil my dad got it from US Steel It works really well
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Maybe try something called an ease-out. It's sort of like a left handed drill bit thats tapered. You drill in reverse into the broken stud and it screws itself in and bites into the sides of the hole you're drilling, then you take it out of the drill and use a small wrench on the top of the bit where it's squared off. It screws in the opposite direction the bolts threads turn so as you tighten the ease out it unscrews the bolt. I've broken many a stud off under the hood and this is a priceless little doodad when you break a bolt off flush and have nothing to grab onto with vise grips.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I think its like anything else thats really tight with out lubrication :shock: Your gonna hurt something :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like Kroil myself and my lifetime supply looks healthy :)
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

enormous wrote:I like Kroil myself and my lifetime supply looks healthy :)
It seems like everytime I work on a vehicle around here with all the salt they throw on the road The last bolt always begs for the Kroil