Increased range with 405?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Re: Increased range with 405?

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks for all the great input guys. 50 yards is about the maximum I can safely shoot in the backyard without having a neighbor's house in the background, so that would be my maximum hunting range. Never been one to pull a trigger and hope for the best and don't plan to start now. But I don't see why you can't extend your range with the 405 or the 380 either, provided the shooter has the skills to make the shot and is comfortable in doing so. Like 8ptbuck, I've also wondered what's the point of the 405 then? If I'm limiting myself to 40 yards why spend the money, I can do that with what I've got now.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Dash

Post by Dash »

Im finding the 380 is able to shoot a heavy arrow very accuratly at 55yds with less affect from wind than the smaller bows. Very accurate .
But whatever speed your shooting at, the biggest variable is your own consistancy. We all know what we can hit on a good day. But can you pick up your bow right now, group all 3 arrows within a 9 ring 55yds? If you can then theres no problem, go ahead and hunt. But if we can't, we should either limit our distance or practice until your consistancy is there. As long as its not our ego's makeing the desicion and pushing us beyond our capabilitys. Im not preaching any set distance to anyone, but as long as we know what our own limits in consistancy are.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

It's definitely not an ego thing for me, just posing a 'why not' question. Just to be clear the longer shots I have in mind would be from a shooting house with the bow resting on the window sill. For freehand shots I'll probably stay within the 40 yard mark. I'm a pretty decent shot but I know my limitations also, and I don't believe in experimenting on a living target.
Matrix 380
Exomag
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kegbelly wrote:It's definitely not an ego thing for me, just posing a 'why not' question. Just to be clear the longer shots I have in mind would be from a shooting house with the bow resting on the window sill. For freehand shots I'll probably stay within the 40 yard mark. I'm a pretty decent shot but I know my limitations also, and I don't believe in experimenting on a living target.
If I was shooting from a blind from a sitting position with a solid rest (window sill trigger stix, etc) I'd have no problem reaching out to a calm and non alert animal.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I agree with most others, if you're comfortable at 50 yards, the 405 is certainly capable of it. The more I meet folks in the archery world, the more I learn about distances and hunters who have successfully harvest beyond 50 yards with smaller Xbows and larger game then deer. They all had the same to say, they were comfortable with the circumstances of the hunt.

I passed up 2 does this year inside 20 yards, because it was my first time ever being out and I wasn't 100% sure where my shot placement should be with her facing me and knowing she was on full alert. 30 yards with a broad side shot without her being alerted and I wouldn't of thought twice. Where I hunt 30 yards is usually tough, because the brush is dense.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Boo

Post by Boo »

I know I won't be shooting my 405 at a deer at 50 yards. A turkey, but not a deer. I have yet to gain confidence enough to take that shot.
It's fast and accurate, but there's still a noticeable time lag between releasing and hearing the arrow hit the target.
Meantime, I'm not hungry enough to take a 50 yard shot at a deer.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Boo wrote:I know I won't be shooting my 405 at a deer at 50 yards. A turkey, but not a deer. I have yet to gain confidence enough to take that shot.
It's fast and accurate, but there's still a noticeable time lag between releasing and hearing the arrow hit the target.
You don't feel the relativity of the extra speed should add distance to a 405.

I'm just wanting to understand more not trying being difficult. :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Why a turkey boo ???
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

taz3 wrote:
Boo wrote:I know I won't be shooting my 405 at a deer at 50 yards. A turkey, but not a deer. I have yet to gain confidence enough to take that shot.
You don't feel the relativity of the extra speed should add distance to a 405.

I'm just wanting to understand more not trying being difficult. :wink:
Nope, I do not feel that because of the time lag I see does not give me that confidence. At 350 grains it's still only 408 ft/sec. I've seen a deer drop in reaction to a shot and when I picture it in my head when I shoot the 405 I don't see a 100% success rate. I might be wrong, but I'm just not that hungry to take that chance that chance.
I will not pull the trigger unless I am 100% sure of the consequences and I understand that at 100% still things go wrong. Someone else might take the shot at 80% and that's fine, but it's just not me.
What I say applies to me, I am not making a comment on someone else's hunting morals of methods.
If I ever see that elusive buck I won't take a shot that I am 100% sure of, I'd rather wait for another day.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Boo I totally respect that. You make some valid points. I'm not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other, just wanted to see what others thought about it. If someone doesn't feel it's a good shot to take for whatever the reason, then don't take it. I've passed on shots I didn't feel good about, I'm sure most everyone else has too.
Matrix 380
Exomag
strum

Post by strum »

Kegbelly wrote: Like 8ptbuck, I've also wondered what's the point of the 405 then? If I'm limiting myself to 40 yards why spend the money, I can do that with what I've got now.
you are right on with this question..if its longer distances then your not gaining anything..
if its faster and flatter arrow flight your for looking for then that's a different story..
back to the distance thing. if I had a choice of a perfect 50 yard shot using either a vixen or a 405 then of course the 405 would be the better choice.
still its a confidence thing..i for one don't feel that confidant.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

8ptbuk wrote:Why a turkey boo ???
Because I don't find their reflexes very good at all. They often take seconds to react unlike a whitetail that take milliseconds. Turkey might be small but the 405 has the accuracy for a 50 yard shot at them.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

3 reasons i don't shoot deer at 50 yds. 1. i don't own a rangefinder 2. I don't own any model thats fast enuff at this time. 3. Seldom have i ever had an open clear shot at anything on my place at 50 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I don't feel the reason for the Matrix 405 was intended for increasing distant shots at game. It's quite simple, speed sells. I feel many would like the benefit of flatter trajectory.

My personal maximum range at game is 30 yards broadside only, when I had my Equinox or now my Matrix 355. I have passed up broadside deer at 40 yards. I could have probably been successful, but why take the risk.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It stands to reason that there would be some extension of the effective range by an increase in arrow speed. It's all a question of how much. However, to me increased range is a secondary consideration.

My main interest is in being able to push an arrow that has the widest possible cut, but still with penetration. That likely would involve a somewhat heavier arrow. It's a bonus if a heavier arrow is still fast enough to keep trajectory flat enough to make variable distance shots a bit more forgiving. A faster bow should make shooting further possible, but that's just not my main interest.

For shooting smaller big game such as deer, a heavier arrow is less of a concern, but I still want the widest possible cut. Speed is good, if it can push a wide cutting arrow right through a deer. A bigger cut is better, as long as too much has not been sacrificed in penetration performance.

Anyone who refrains for a shot because he fears that his equipment may be lacking has my respect. I had to pass up on an elk in archery season because I couldn't make out my sights well enough. If I had been a good "instinctive" shooter, I could easily have plugged him. I had to pass on the shot.

I want to get a 405 Mega. It won't be for the extra distance capability, although that will be nice. If there's ever a G5 Striker (Extra) magnum, that's what I'll be shooting!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.