ranger finder dumb question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: ranger finder dumb question

Post by awshucks »

i think i need to get a rangefinder that calculates the angles that answers my question thanks again..
I tested this out. I stood on the seat of 12' ladder stand and shot at a target. by my estimation, the xbow [Emax] was 17" off the ground.

My target was 20 yds away, measured on the ground from base of tree.

My poi was less than an inch off........Bushnell Yardage Pro.
"Eze 18:21"
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks Awshucks, you just saved me from spending this weekend on the roof with my crossbow and a calculator :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm using an old Bushnell yardage pro, no angle compensation. Honest to gosh I've never had a problem placing my shots and never seen a need for an angle compensating range finder, *but* so far my shots have been at relatively moderate angles so that has to be taken into consideration. Using Auxiluc's original example, the difference between line of sight and actual horizontal distance is less than a yard, not enough to make much difference in POI, just as Awshucks testing proved. The catch is, the more severe the angle you're shooting at, the more that compensation becomes a factor. Take an extreme example like Phern stated...Say your stand is on a steep incline and you're 60 feet above a target that is 10 yards from the base of your stand, if you shoot the 20 yard crosshair I'd bet the arrow will sail right over the top of the target. So IMO both arguments are valid, it just depends on the actual elevations and distances you are shooting as to how much angle compensation becomes a factor.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I never go over 12ft and at that height never had any problems shooting out to 30-35yds most the time can't see any further thru the leafs.Very little difference with the flat shooting bows of today, what I shoot on the ground [POI] is the same from my tree stand at that height.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

JPjunkie wrote:
cb750 wrote:So I was trying to figure this out myself this afternoon. I had been scouting for turkey's using a friends tree stand and was inundated with deer. I was trying to approximate their ranges so I would have a better idea where I would be shooting come the fall. That's when I thought a range finder would be handy. I searched them and stumbled on the ARC. Same as axiluc I couldn't comprehend the reasoning behind it. Thanks to you guys for explaining it, several ways, I am getting the picture. All the more reason to use a ground blind, I hate math :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thanks axiluc for asking the question. It has been bugging me all day.
:lol: :lol: To technical for me shoot at middle of rib cage track it down and take it home :lol:
or hunt from the ground...problem solved :lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
strum

Post by strum »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I never go over 12ft and at that height never had any problems shooting out to 30-35yds most the time can't see any further thru the leafs.Very little difference with the flat shooting bows of today, what I shoot on the ground [POI] is the same from my tree stand at that height.

Wes
I agree with Wes on this one..all the math and figuring is interesting and im not saying yall are wrong but we tend to over think this stuff. I hunt on some steep mts here in N Ga and I hunt pretty high up too.(25-40 ft) as long as I keep my shots 30 and less I do just fine with out the angle compensater ma jig..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Buy you a 405 ! It has a built in range finder if you know what I mean !!! Lol
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

When I get into a tree stand I try to find tree trunks to range around me - that lets me range horizontally. If there aren't trees in the direction my stand faces, I'll range before I climb. I mentally mark "rings" around my stand: my personal outside perimeter for my shot (with my Vixen that's 30 yards), and the sweet crosshairs 20 yard ring. I'll also make note of any other distances that stand out (fence post is 16 yds, that fallen limb is 12, etc.)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If extreme angles don't affect your hunting shots that's wonderful. However, living and hunting (and shooting 3D) here it can affect you. I've shot 3D targets with my 20yard pin where the line of sight (almost straight down) was more like 42yards. I've also come across it hunting, more than once. My first time in a tree stand, (quite high from what I recall), I shot a hog for 33yards and spine shot it. It was probably closer to 25yards. My range finder is old and doesn't have the ARC but ignite had to buy one now I would definitely have it. Jmo.

★★★EDIT★★★ Here is referring to British Columbia, Canada.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.