Broadhead weights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Broadhead weights

Post by vixenmaster »

bowhunter1 wrote:Yep the fletching on the blazers have a slight right helical, and I do not understand what you mean by the spine in the same location on each arrow?? :?
Arrow Spine indexin, tells which side of arrow is weaker & stronger. Arrow will flex on weak spine side when shot.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Again thank you for the info, I didn't realize that was a factor when shooting fixed blade heads along with proper weight up front :shock: THANK GOD for mechanical broadheads heads!!!! 8) At least for me anyway... :)
Dash

Post by Dash »

X2 on what vixen was saying about the fletching.
The difference between straight blazers as opposed to the strong helical blazers was like night/day with a fixed broadhead on the end. They definitely help even out any inaccuracies.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Sorry I haven't been on in a few days

Each arrow shaft has a "stiff side". Think of an aluminum arrow being made with a seam along its length. The seam would be stiffer than the rest. Carbon arrows have a similar stiff side. It is commonly called the spine or static spine of the arrow. Do a search on the forum for a post by Boo on finding the static spine of an arrow. It's not hard to do and can help some with accuracy. I tend to build arrows and mark the side opposite the stiff side of the arrow then put the cock vane there. Then as the arrow leaves the bow it will flex such that the front and back stay in contact with the rail. It may not matter exactly where the spine is relative to the rail as long as you do the same thing all the time. Try shooting your arrows with different vanes in the channel and see if the POI changes.

As for the fletching a fixed blade BH needs a decent amount of correction either from longer fletches or more helical/ offset I like many others on here use the Arizona EZ Fletch which puts about as much helical as you can on a blazer without it hitting the rail. I have good luck fletching like that.

Do you have an arrow spinner? It's almost a necessity when building fixed BH arrows. You have to check run out when the BHs are on the arrows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

No, i don't have a arrow spinner.. i have put vanes in different positions on the rail and have defiantly got different POI.. I blamed myself for pulling the shot because i was grouping ok then , then 1 or 2 goes all crazy out of the group, and then I said allll hell with these fixed heads :x .. And stomped away like a 6th grader kicking and spitting.... :roll: Holler'n at the wife " I AINT NEVER GO'N HUNT'N AGAIN IF I CAN'T SHOOT ANY DAM BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!" So now we will not tell her I just have no freak'n idea what the hell i'm do'n :? :oops:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

For us, keeping the lighter end of broadheads is just habit.
In my bow I use brass inserts, and 100 grain heads, my wife uses aluminum inserts and 100 grain heads, my son, brass and 100 grain.
I only keep 100 grain heads in the house because I don't want to have to juggle them when the pressure of hunting season is on. I know, without doubt, that any broadhead, field point, small game head I pick up in this house is going to be compatible with any bow you will find here.
Just habit.
Bottom line, any bow you pick up in my house is sighted in for any broadhead/tip you will find anywhere near it. Perhaps more about my ADD than anything else.
If I ever found a flight issue, I just may change, but for now, I keep everything equal.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string