Reds didn't last long anything better?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pa.hunter

Re: Reds didn't last long anything better?

Post by Pa.hunter »

vixenmaster wrote:Don't grind the REDS but take them off & grind the ball under them down about a 3rd.
Ok vixenmaster I miss understood that thanks

Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

flightattendant100 wrote:Danny Miller sells a set of string stoppers for the Matrix series bows that he calls"Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers"! They work great, are priced much less than REDS and the pads last much longer. Phone only, no internet.740-483-2312
I will give Danny Miller a call Monday and try them out thanks

Charlie
Black Eagles
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

vixenmaster wrote:Don't grind the REDS but take them off & grind the ball under them down about a 3rd.
I have a set coming with the new 330 should be here this week. I will be sure to grind the ball down and set the sting 1/4" and see if they last a little longer. I bet the rubbers are fun to get on after grinding them down. I think I will try a set of Danny Millers on the 380.

Thanks again everybody for your help
Charlie
Black Eagles
Significent

Post by Significent »

I bought Sheila in January of this year and have a little over 100 shots on her. I see a line where the string hit the pads, which are fairly supple. Removing the rubber pads from the metal part of the suppressor, I see that the end of the metal ball has been flattened. Are all M380 suppressors flattened like Sheila's, or is this a recent modification. I'm wondering if I should grind them down more.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Danny Miller is an Excalibur warranty representative and knows all about Excalibur crossbow's. Give Danny a call @ (740) 483-2312.

I do like my Danny Miller's (Version of the R.E.D.S.) Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers on my Matrix 355. Danny supplies you with stainless steel set screws.

Here is Danny Miller's last years price list. Not all of his items are listed it's best to give him a call.
Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I find it sort of odd that several people have had the REDS pads damaged or split after only 30, 40, or 50 shots, then someone else comes back with just the opposite. I have the S5s on my exomag (the rubber pad is the same as the REDS), I put them on the first year they were available. If I have one shot on those pads I have 500 shots on them, and they are fine, no damage at all. I've shot a variety of different strings on that bow, and it's set up with a super low brace height, and I'm about 1/16 off the pads.
I have the REDS on my 380. I've got well over 300 shots on that bow now, probably closer to 400 shots, again experimenting with different strings and brace heights, and while I see string marks, there is no sign of cuts or splitting. My brace height is usually 1/8 to 3/16 off the pads. Both of mine have been modified by grinding the ball down. I dont think the problem is with the brace height or the types of strings, I think modifying the REDS ball helps a BUNCH on extending the life of the pads, but I also think the problem might be with the pads themselves, i.e. I think some of them are softer than others and just dont last very long before they get cut up.
The pads are made by Limbsaver, and I'd almost bet money when they mix a batch of rubber to make a run of pads there are + and - tolerances for each ingredient, and the finished pads, while still in spec, will vary in softness from batch to batch, so some of them last a long time and hundreds of shots, and some of them don't. That's my theory anyhow :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I think there whacked before the brace height is set, in other words the string is already against the rubbers the first time there shot, I saw this the other day some one came by and wanted to put new stoppers on, he had no stringer and I seen the serving cutting the rubbers, HE DIDN'T KNOW, this is just what I think happens most the time.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

How do you adjust brace height when the string touches one bumper and the other side your a string away. :shock:
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

Kegbelly wrote:I find it sort of odd that several people have had the REDS pads damaged or split after only 30, 40, or 50 shots, then someone else comes back with just the opposite. I have the S5s on my exomag (the rubber pad is the same as the REDS), I put them on the first year they were available. If I have one shot on those pads I have 500 shots on them, and they are fine, no damage at all. I've shot a variety of different strings on that bow, and it's set up with a super low brace height, and I'm about 1/16 off the pads.
I have the REDS on my 380. I've got well over 300 shots on that bow now, probably closer to 400 shots, again experimenting with different strings and brace heights, and while I see string marks, there is no sign of cuts or splitting. My brace height is usually 1/8 to 3/16 off the pads. Both of mine have been modified by grinding the ball down. I dont think the problem is with the brace height or the types of strings, I think modifying the REDS ball helps a BUNCH on extending the life of the pads, but I also think the problem might be with the pads themselves, i.e. I think some of them are softer than others and just dont last very long before they get cut up.
The pads are made by Limbsaver, and I'd almost bet money when they mix a batch of rubber to make a run of pads there are + and - tolerances for each ingredient, and the finished pads, while still in spec, will vary in softness from batch to batch, so some of them last a long time and hundreds of shots, and some of them don't. That's my theory anyhow :D
I pulled mine off today and the balls are not ground down and the rubber is very soft. Both of mine our split up the side and I have kept the string 1/8" off them sense new and always store it with the string cocker on it in case it stretches. So your theory might be very well right. :wink:

Charlie
Black Eagles
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

yooper_man wrote:Danny Miller is an Excalibur warranty representative and knows all about Excalibur crossbow's. Give Danny a call @ (740) 483-2312.

I do like my Danny Miller's (Version of the R.E.D.S.) Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers on my Matrix 355. Danny supplies you with stainless steel set screws.

Here is Danny Miller's last years price list. Not all of his items are listed it's best to give him a call.
Andrew
Those our nice. They even look more durable. I will be trying a set of them. I will be giving Danny a call.

Thanks Charlie
Black Eagles