Question on arrow cutting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Question on arrow cutting

Post by flightattendant100 »

UPSMAN wrote:Boo,
That looks just like Paul. :wink: :wink:
You guys are just plain mean! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now if the chimp was in a robe???
roly

Post by roly »

When I cut my arrows on my home made cut off jig
I have the blade set on my cut off tool set to cut about 1/3rd the way threw the arrow then spin the arrow. I find it cuts and squares the arrow at the same time, then I finish them with my G5

Works for me :D :D
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I got my shafts and inserts today. Black Eagle gets their orders out fast! I just ordered Monday afternoon.
So, does it matter which end you cut? I need to trim the 20" shafts to 18".
Edit--oh yeah, they sent a cap with my order, cool! 8)
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Jray

Post by Jray »

If I was using an arrow saw I would cut 1 inch off each end. They say that most of the runout occurs on the ends. Only taking 2 inches off the shaft and using a less accurate means of cutting I would only take it off one end. What I do to make sure the end of the shaft is squared after using the G5 is to take a pencil and "color" the cut edge. It will leave a shiny ring that as you turn it on the G5 you can check and when the "shiny" is gone the end is squared.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Keg, keep the longest distance to the start of the graphics at the point end. This will help keep them looking good longer from burying them into the targets.Zombie head to the rear. That was the end I cut.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

xcaliber wrote:Keg, keep the longest distance to the start of the graphics at the point end. This will help keep them looking good longer from burying them into the targets.Zombie head to the rear. That was the end I cut.
I was thinking the same thing. Just wanted to check before I do something wrong :shock:
I'm having them cut this afternoon, I think the shop has an Apple saw, should be a clean cut. I will square both ends.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Jray wrote:If I was using an arrow saw I would cut 1 inch off each end. They say that most of the runout occurs on the ends. Only taking 2 inches off the shaft and using a less accurate means of cutting I would only take it off one end. What I do to make sure the end of the shaft is squared after using the G5 is to take a pencil and "color" the cut edge. It will leave a shiny ring that as you turn it on the G5 you can check and when the "shiny" is gone the end is squared.
I'm going to do the same thing with a silver sharpie and the lumenok FAST squaring tool.
Matrix 380
Exomag
cevans

Post by cevans »

I guess I will be the anti squaring tool dude for the heck of it. I cut down, with my home made wood jig and dremel tool duc taped to bottom of it with cutting wheel sticking up in slot. Yep its a rig but works. Sometimes I don't get a square cut. I take a fine file and file the outer edge till I visually see it pretty square, and prior to glueing, run a brass cleaning rifle brush inside then swab with acetone to clean it out. When you glue your insert in,,,it will square itself up. Now I know a lot of you are going to chastise me,,but the insert is square on the end, where your field point or broadhead will make contact. All my arrows that I cut, that are not perfectly square,,shoot dead on at 50 yds. I know its not as perfect as cutting with a arrow saw from a shop, but it works as I would have to travel 50 miles to a shop just to cut arrows. I also weigh each arrow on a powder level grain scale and will shim them with a super thin washer to make them perfectly weigh the same. Each washer I use, weighs a grain apiece. I think the more even arrow weight plus straightness of the arrow shaft is more important for target bullseye consistency in my opinion. Get them as square as you can. just my 2 cents, but always worked for me when shooting national target archery. And my Indiana State 1 day and 2 day records still stand after 20 yrs of not shooting. Barebow!
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I see your point, and to be honest I don't know enough about arrow-making to argue for or against squaring. It certainly can't hurt anything. But I'm setting these up for lumenoks, and they strongly recommend squaring the nock ends so the battery contact points have a nice flat surface and make a good connection.
Matrix 380
Exomag
cevans

Post by cevans »

I totally agree, you try and square as best as possible. But for those of us that don't use a squareing tool...we just get close and it does work is all I am saying.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

I would think that using a proper arrow cut off saw that the resulting cut would be about as close to square as it gets --- could be wrong but just say'n.
cevans

Post by cevans »

If the user knows how to use a arrow cutoff saw properly and takes his time, they are pretty square. If he is a screwball and in a hurry, he can screw them up a little. He can also break a blade while cutting arrows if he is not careful as that happens also.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's