Matrix 380 arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Matrix 380 arrows

Post by Boo »

Double speed and you quadruple energy. That is a law of physics.
Momentum is a whole different ball game and above a certain point of mass and speed, momentum is a moot point. But the higher the mass, the more energy required.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

galamb wrote:" I know what works for me and heavy ain't it"

In what respect?

You can't get a good grouping?

Is there some other "measure" that is more important then proximity to the point of aim and penetration when talking about "hunting" situations.

Do you disagree that a heavier arrow shoots quieter, will be less effected by wind, will penetrate better, will retain more of it's energy on penetration?

Not trying to create an argument here at all, just interested in how you quantify your answer.

If you have found something that refutes this study I would like to try the method for myself.

I have found shooting heavier works for me, but I have a range and I have time and if there is a better/different way, I'm certainly interested in trying it for myself.

Pull up the thread heavy bolts 2013 there were some test done.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

[quote= Limbs and Sticks]
My 410 Matrix has 138.65 ke with a 375gr arrow,to each their own I know what works for me and heavy ain't it, to me Ashby is like Randy Wakeman Never known any Major Company to endorse either of them, I could be wrong just I've never seen it, sure don't follow either.

Wes[/quote]

First off I understand even my old Phoenix will shoot clear through a deer at 40 yards with it's 297 fps 425 grain arrow! So anything we shoot today is capable of 100% penetration on any deer size game out to reasonable hunting range!

I am not saying anyone should change any setup they like. The point was your bow my bow or your neighbors, the heavier the arrow you shoot, the slower that bow will shoot!! That same bow will also have more energy with the slower heavier arrow!! This means your arrow is absorbing more energy from the bow, this is easier on strings, limbs, and since it takes more vibration out because there is less wasted energy from the bow, it will have less vibration which could in a common sense theory be easier on scopes, have less affect on loosening screw's, and obviously resulting in a quieter, smoother shooting bow. Not to mention the increase in accuracy with medium to heavy arrows especially past 40 or 50 yards, and the more you extend the range, the better the accuracy hold's, and the less wind and the environment effects the medium to heavy shafts. these are facts.

I only use these 635 grn. arrows in very heavy brush, swamp's and thickets inside 35 yards, and trust me I have weeks and months of testing literally dozens of components (vanes, shafts, and broadheads) in these conditions to find the one hunting arrow that is the least affected in a situation where weed's to a small branch is encountered when shooting in these environment. The heavy head and lighter insert were used because the 1 1/8" cut 175 grain VPA is the longest from point to rear of blades, this makes the angle of the blades less than a lighter shorter broadhead with the same 1 1/8" cutting dia. using heavier insetrts to get the F.O.C. needed for stability and accuracy. The 4" durravanes are used for the same reason, along with the fact that they suck for high speed because of the flimsy rag like material that sails like a flag at high speed, but at the 300 fps. these arrows run not a concern, and a benefit when encountering an obstacle such as I mentioned as they won't be deflected as severely and thrown off target like a tall short stiff vane most use for speed and accuracy would.

Trust me these will cut thru heavy weeds and light limbs unbelievably well, it absolutely has to be experienced to believe! I will assure you the 375 grain arrow running close to 400 fps will never come close to surviving this kind of shot, and if it does accidentally happen will probably end up in an unrecoverable, injured animal, that may or may not survive. I would never use such equipment in the environment I use these Rhino Killers in. I also would never intentionally try and shoot through a "limb" but have on more than one occasion encounter a few twigs and weeds making a kill, that I wouldn't have even been able to try taking a shot with even 450 grain arrows.

I by all means use the best combination to make the cleanest kill possible. But sometimes if you want to hunt and not just sit and observe, you have to hit these thick heavy brush environments. My #1 hunting arrows are between 425 grains and 460 grains depending on the bow. I usually hunt open hardwoods, and have had kills out past 50 yards, and would never have tried such a shot with any bow regardless how accurate it was shooting these heavy arrows at only 300 fps!! I guess if you hunt 100% open areas all the time a 375 grain arrow could work, I prefer not to limit myself to one situation, and hunt a variety of environments, so I stay versatile and use the best setup for the conditions, and stay dang near 100% on shots taken at game being kill shots! I have taken well over 100 head of deer alone in over 30 years, I have only wounded 3 in that time I didn't recover,,,,, I won't tell anyone else how to hunt or shoot, I just hope when you limit your equipment in this manner, you "KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS" and enjoy replacing servings, strings, and working on your bow. I'd rather be shooting.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You should just say you like heavy arrows and that's it, not tell some one what theirs will do or not do I'm not shooting over 40 yards and not going to shoot thru brush either,my alum 2020 Eastons cut the air just fine :) happy hunting.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:You should just say you like heavy arrows and that's it, not tell some one what theirs will do or not do I'm not shooting over 40 yards and not going to shoot thru brush either,my alum 2020 Eastons cut the air just fine :) happy hunting.

Wes
Sir you should understand, I made it clear I didn't tell you what to shoot and stated I would never tell someone not to shoot what they are comfortable with, I simply said I hope your capable of knowing your limitations, it is a fact no one arrow will do everything,,, but I am sure you knew that and have your arrows setup for your style of hunting,, But I wasn't telling just you, this is an open forum, and everyone has suggestions, but I was stating facts about different arrows! I am sorry if you took it any other way!!! good hunting
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!