True ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Yes you are right striper I guess you did get under my skin. Know one likes to be told that they are uninformed but I took it way to personal! I apologize
and I will be more careful before I "shoot my mouth off". Sorry.
On another note most big game animals are not taken at more then 100 yards and I bet that this is why Matthew J. Hewett feels the 45-70 is such a good all around big game gun.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I love the smell of controversy in the morning.... :D

I'd hate to limit myself to one caliber..that's for sure.

I think I'm pretty well set for my existing activities with a .22LR, .223REM, .25-06REM and .338 Win Mag. If I ever had a chance for dangerous critters away from this continent I'd have to add one more though....

I do think it would be cool to head into the north woods with a .444 Marlin or a .45-70 loaded with hard cast bullets for deer. But once in my treestand, I would prop the rifle against the tree & unsheath a 4-5/8" Blackhawk in .44 Rem Mag or .45 Long Colt loaded with the same pill as the rifle. Man I'd like nothing more than to smoke Bambi with a revolver.....but that would be illegal up here, wouldn't it? :wink:

Mikey vee
striper

Post by striper »

Mike:I think I came across that I don't like the 45-70. I think it is a great gun, and wopuld like to have one. I just prefer smaller caliber, faster rounds for sometime long range deer hunting. I am going to Colorado in November after an elk, and have been told by the outfitter that most shots will be in the 300 yard range since the rut will be over and the elk will be migrating. I will have to have something that will reach WAY out and retain velocity for that big boned, tough animal.
I have heard terrible arguments between lovers of the Garand and M-14 and the lovers of the .223. I would prefer to go in combat in Iraq with the M-14, but it seems our troops have done OK with the M-16.
Finally, I don't think I have welcomed Tigerpaw to the forum. Welcome Tigerpaw! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

My father has taken deer (muley and whitetail) and an elk with a 7x57 Mauser....He actually shot the rifling out of 2 of those guns....It is an awesome caliber and one with which anyone should be comfortable...I have also heard it described as the most "ballistically efficient" caliber there is...

That said, I kinda like my .280...Anything around that 7mm (.284) dia bullet is good enough for me...
striper

Post by striper »

You know, I think I started this controversy by saying I had taken 19 deer in a row with a single shot, using a ballistic tip projectile at a muzzle velocity of 2600 FPS. I guess the truth is that I love all types of firearms. I have deer hunted with shotgun, 7X57, 270, 30-06, 300 mag., 7 mm Mag.and am probably going to try to take an elk with a 30-378 this winter. I just like some a little better than others. If I am pinned down, I guess I would stand with the 7X57. It's kick doesn't punish me like the others and it is darn sure a killer! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.

Post by Guest »

Ahh Striper,
Load up some hot handloads for your 7mm Mag for the hunt.

If you think your above listed cals kick just wait until you get scope eye, a bruised cheekbone, and loose teeth from that .30-378 CANNON. :wink: :lol:

Personally I would'nt hesitate to take my .270 win.
Jack O'Connor did very well with it on a number of Big game.