Ontario Moose Hunting Changes Coming Down The Pipe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colouredchameleon

Re: Ontario Moose Hunting Changes Coming Down The Pipe

Post by colouredchameleon »

There are solutions happening in the background to your last point.
See the last two Websites I reference in my previous post

But you need to realize that recent Court Rulings have made it quite clear that the Native Hunt is a non-negotiable right which the MNR has little to no control over. And I am sure the MNR’s Political whips /masters have made it quite clear to them (MNR) that they are not to interfere with or discuss opening in a public forum.

But what the MNR do have control over is Licenced Moose Hunters and what better way to control them then is to come up with systems that reduce access.

The new proposed seasons and calf restrictions will do nothing to reduce harvest rates and increase moose populations in fact I suspect will result in an increase. But what it will do it will is discourage some which MNR hopes will chose to pack it in.

If the MNR were serious about population growth than the focus would not be on the calf harvest but on managing the Mature Prime Breeders.
It is critical that there is proper ratio of Mature Breeding Bulls in their prime vs. the number of Mature Cows. After that nature will take care of the rest.
It is critical that there is proper ratio of Mature Breeding Bulls in their prime vs. Cows. After that nature will take care of the rest.
Throw the ratio off than the population eventually suffers.
Any uncontrolled dramatic increase in the number of immature moose (spikes and yearlings) vs. the prime breeding portion is well know to have negatives long-term effects.

Moose herd population management is best achieved over a long period time, which the present Adult Tag Selective Harvest System is designed to achieve. The issue however has been that the MNR officials responsible for it’s implementation have badly mismanaged it .

The solution is simple Implement the present Adult Tag Selective Harvest System as designed using mechanisms inside its fame work to protect the prime breeders
(Cows) for the short term.
mitch

Post by mitch »

no cow & calf for 3 years were the moose are low .I think that is what they did in Quebec and it was a big success.

Post by #16 »

I live and moose hunt in wmu 57,this is one of the units with a calf tag draw.
There are no more moose now than before they started the calf draw.
In fact we have not seen a calf in the last three years.

The way the system is set up now is nothing short of a cash grab, you pay your money to purchase a licence and if you are not drawn for a tag you have just gave the liberals your hard earned cash for nothing.

This is nothing short of robbery.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Yes, and now you will even be restricted somewhat from using your "tag" for calves in any other area.

(which is still part of the "problem" if the MNR has it right. If calf hunting IS causing the problem then you have to manage the number of calves potentially being taken "anytime" in the season. If WMU99 can only sustain the harvest of 10 calves what does it matter when they are taken - you need to control the number being taken - not when - which goes against their logic)

When I was in the Airforce I did two tours in Newfoundland. They also had a lottery system with four pools which shared the tags out a little better just over a longer horizon.

One of the nice things about their system was that you applied (at no cost) and only paid your bucks if you got drawn for a tag.

And perhaps Ontario should look at something like that. I wouldn't even mind kicking in "some bucks" for the draw portion (to cover the cost of running it) but not having to pay for your tag unless you got drawn.

Then if you (or your group) didn't pull a tag then you could decide to buy the licence or not to participate in the limited calf hunt.

But can't ever seeing it happen. They wouldn't get their $55.70 for the licence and $2.26 for "processing" your licence application...

(which is also why I can't see them banning calf hunting outright - they couldn't justify taking your money and giving you "no" hunting opportunity - so in a couple years you will only be able to take a calf on the 2nd full moon of October - but hey, you will still be able to "hunt", so pay up)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS