How long after?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Re: How long after?

Post by Riflemanz »

I would wait 1yr and buy a crank. You don't need to rush it.
I'm not a Dr. but I did watch General Hospital on TV once!
Get well!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I feel your pain Bluz! The good thing is that the worst is over. I had quintuple(5) bypass 9 years ago the end of March. I ride a bike quite a bit and haven't had any more problems. At that time I was shooting a 55# vertical bow, and I was able to shoot and hunt by Oct. As was previously mentioned, your sternum needs time to heal.
Again, as mentioned earlier, you need to run it by the Doc. I would think that with a crank, you could be shooting in several months, and maybe use the rope cocker by fall. I certainly wouldn't do either without medical clearance.

God Bless,
Jim
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

Thanks for the answers. One answer was from a person who had a bypass operation.

From what I have read, I will be cocking my crossbow for moose hunting next september.
Vortex
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

dabluz wrote:I had a triple bypass operation 2 weeks ago. Can someone tell me how long it takes before I am strong (and pain free) enough to be able to cock my Vortex (200 lbs)?
Don't take your bow to the dr being you're in O Canada,lol. I'd ask him about lifting a 100# rock as your rope cocker cuts the 200# in half.

I'd get a crank, you can always sell it to the next guy in your shoes............... :mrgreen:

You may even get the offer of a loaner if some kind sole has one to let go of........ :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I am almost 76 with 4 stents and was cocking my Equinox about 2/3 months after the stents were put in. I would suggest that you check with your heart doc and follow his advice. Good luck & keep exercising.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

I had triple bypass in 2000 and will just say you don't want to rush into putting a lot of strain on your chest or heart. You have to remember it is not just your chest you strain when pulling on that bow but you are also straining your heart.
Contact medical people ( your doctor or some one in the heart field) that knows what they are talking about and follow their instructions, everybody heals differently. If you strain that heart to much before it has a chance to recover you might not make it to the surgery table again. Just a little of my history so you don't think I am just blowing steam. From 1994 to 2000 I was on the table around 8 times getting a culvert ( stint) a balloon opening, or the bypass. 2 weeks after the bypass's they put in another culvert.
As fare as the pain goes I still have some muscle pain in my chest but know others that have no pain at all. We all heal different.
Have a blessed day
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Best wishes on a fast and full recovery.I would not be atempting to cock that bow for a long long time.I had a stent put in last week as well.I know recovery is quicker but I don't plan on doing anything strenuous for several weeks.It was a real shock to me that I needed one since I'm only 52. :shock:
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.